Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

On 01/12/2018 at 8:22 AM, SuperJackle said:

Question on hem width...

Was browsing a SF thread about hem width of trousers. Many folks in that thread seem to think the ideal width of the hem is approximately 2/3 that of shoe  outsole length. What do you guys think? For myself, I’ve kind of felt that a 7.5” hem on a 10”-10.5” shoe or boot is pretty ideal, but I know that to each his own etc. To me, 2/3 of outsole length is pretty extreme, but I know formal wear tends to go in a different direction. 

I'm a uk 8 and have a 7 inch hem on every trouser and jean I wear. I've never considered a formula for it!

10 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Anybody having a hard time uploading pics?  The board won't let me upload from my comp or phone.

Check your file extension. Apple has started using .HEIC which seems to be causing problems. Change the extension to .jpeg and it should work (I usually have to downgrade the image before the site accepts it, too)

• 2 weeks later...

Where is everyone getting their jeans repaired right now? I asked to be put on the Indigo Proof waitlist all the way back in March and I’m still waiting. I didn’t need repairs then, I just anticipated some of the stitching would eventually split on the back rise, but once that needed them I’m was still months out. My wife happened to be in NYC this month, so I she was kind enough to drop them off at Self Edge for me. I read some negative comments lately about Railcar’s turnaround time and I’m not sure who else I trust with quality repairs. 

Maybe I’m underestimating the popularity of denim, or just how many people are still sizing down, but I get the feeing that the good repair services are swamped tapering the jeans for the reddit and Instagram denim scene. 

14 minutes ago, cusswords said:

Where is everyone getting their jeans repaired right now? I asked to be put on the Indigo Proof waitlist all the way back in March and I’m still waiting. I didn’t need repairs then, I just anticipated some of the stitching would eventually split on the back rise, but once that needed them I’m was still months out. My wife happened to be in NYC this month, so I she was kind enough to drop them off at Self Edge for me. I read some negative comments lately about Railcar’s turnaround time and I’m not sure who else I trust with quality repairs. 

Maybe I’m underestimating the popularity of denim, or just how many people are still sizing down, but I get the feeing that the good repair services are swamped tapering the jeans for the reddit and Instagram denim scene. 

I'm interested in what other people mention as well. I have been on the waitlist at Indigo Proof since around April or May this year. I can't even use Self Edge since it is so far away.

I haven't looked into Railcar in a long time but it's about the only other option I know off hand. 

2 minutes ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

I'm interested in what other people mention as well. I have been on the waitlist at Indigo Proof since around April or May this year. I can't even use Self Edge since it is so far away.

I haven't looked into Railcar in a long time but it's about the only other option I know off hand. 

FYI, we started a repair mail-in program at Self Edge about 8 months ago.. we haven't officially announced it as our repair load is already so high we're slowing ramping it up.  All the mail-in repairs go to SELA, email us for instructions on how to send them in.

I haven't realized until recently that if I hem tapered jeans, i effectively ruined the leg opening.

I used to love stacking and decided recently I'm going to hem everything perfect legnth to 30 inseam. 

It's not a deal breaker, looks clean on low cut like Chucks or Clarks Boots. But it looks off for sneakers with the larger leg opening.

What denim items have you received unsolicited (and positive!) comments from strangers?

I have had that for 3 denim jackets: IH IHSH-76 (17oz western shirt jacket), Tender 900 (a longer, work coat type jacket), and my Dixon Rand lightweight oxblood sawtooth jacket.

1 hour ago, MasonAlexander said:

Just out curiosity (because I saw a piece today that I really want but am not sure if I am brave enough)

What is your favourite piece that you have seen that you REALLY want/wanted but wont/didnt get because you were not sure that you could pull it off? 

The Flat Head asymmetrical leather jacket, or the Buco asymmetrical jacket.

Both look fantastic, but I fear I am not cool enough.

2 hours ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

The Flat Head asymmetrical leather jacket, or the Buco asymmetrical jacket.

Both look fantastic, but I fear I am not cool enough.

For me it's any moto jacket with a band collar. I'm not a motorcyclist so i'd feel like a poser. However, R&H has a Flat Head leather jacket with a standard collar that I think I could rock, even though it's technically a motorcycle jacket.

4 hours ago, MasonAlexander said:

Just out curiosity (because I saw a piece today that I really want but am not sure if I am brave enough)

What is your favourite piece that you have seen that you REALLY want/wanted but wont/didnt get because you were not sure that you could pull it off? 

Sugar Cane has a melton wool jacket in bright green (I'm not sure it's out yet - it's in this year's catalog). I really like the jacket, I really like the color, but I'm not sure I'm cool enough to wear it...

3 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

For me it's any moto jacket with a band collar. I'm not a motorcyclist so i'd feel like a poser. However, R&H has a Flat Head leather jacket with a standard collar that I think I could rock, even though it's technically a motorcycle jacket.

I really like the look of the fur collar added to the Real McCoy Buco.

8 hours ago, MasonAlexander said:

Without hesitation. .. the RMC A1 or 37j1. I drool everytime I see one. I've tried it on in RMC 3 times and not bought it. I'm not sure if it's I don't think I can wear it but more would I wear it enough to justify the spend?:huh::(

19 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

As somebody who has been a part of one or more motorcycle communities for my entire life, I promise nobody is going to see your sexy new jacket and think "hey, that dude doesnt ride a motorcycle! take that jacket off!"

Anybody recieved any clothing related Christmas gifts? Or perhaps is anybody going to buy a little something for themselves for Christmas?

My wife got me a new grey Champion sweater, some Vans and a Redmoon wallet. I did pretty good!

I'm thinking I might pick up a new pair of black jeans for myself as I currently have none in rotation (possibly from Trophy I think)

Edited by MasonAlexander

General reflection...I bought some Uniqlo EZY Ankle Length pants (read: "mens stretchy pants") for Christmas dinner/celebrations with the family and my word were they a revelation. Sometimes I forget how comfortable not wearing jeans can be, and I'm not sure what to do with myself :/

That said, I will never wear stretchy denim.