Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Guys that work in offices: what shirts do you wear? I’ve been looking for a new shirt for an interview I have this Friday and the options I’ve seen locally (even here in Austin) have left me pretty depressed. I don’t think this job will really require me to dress up per se, but I wanted to make a good first impression. I’ve given up for now and decided that my Roy striped shirt will have to work, but going forward I’d like to find some nicer shirts for work or other potential interviews. I have a ton of Gitman shirts that no longer fit due to weight loss (if anyone wants some super cheap XL Gitman shirts PM me :ph34r:) which is both a good and bad thing. But their product doesn’t really do it for me these days. 

I got one made to measure that I use for formal occasions, I'll need to get another one for summer though because the fabric I chose was a bit thick for anything but aus cold weather.

That won't cover you for friday but if you can find a maker that you trust I think it's a good option.

Edited by Sensuki

3 hours ago, Broark said:

Guys that work in offices: what shirts do you wear? I’ve been looking for a new shirt for an interview I have this Friday and the options I’ve seen locally (even here in Austin) have left me pretty depressed. I don’t think this job will really require me to dress up per se, but I wanted to make a good first impression. I’ve given up for now and decided that my Roy striped shirt will have to work, but going forward I’d like to find some nicer shirts for work or other potential interviews. I have a ton of Gitman shirts that no longer fit due to weight loss (if anyone wants some super cheap XL Gitman shirts PM me :ph34r:) which is both a good and bad thing. But their product doesn’t really do it for me these days. 

Freemans Sporting Club has some good stuff but their website is in maintenance right now.  Perhaps New England Shirt Co maybe?  They're like Gitman but priced lower.  I know Unionmade has a sale on them right now.

http://www.newenglandshirtco.com/

Edited by mlwdp

try Kamakura Shirts - they have a US website & shop, do good price points & fabrics, have a vintage shirt line and selvage fabric line and produce in Japan....

I like Gitman for their concept, fabrics, style and prices, but they don't get the neck hole and collars right.

11 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

try Kamakura Shirts - they have a US website & shop, do good price points & fabrics, have a vintage shirt line and selvage fabric line and produce in Japan....

I like Gitman for their concept, fabrics, style and prices, but they don't get the neck hole and collars right.

Been interested in trying a Kamakura Oxford for a while, any other feedback on them? Wish I'd made time to visit the store whilst in Tokyo.

For OCBD'S  I do love Beams, I have  2 or 3 of them.

Again, I really like gitman, have 3 of them but there is something about the collar that bugs me a little. It's just that touch to high, possibly a repo detail as brooks also have a high collar and deep roll? 

9 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I haven’t bought one in quite a few years but for formal work shirts in the UK, I used to buy them from Thomas Pink or TM Lewin.

Same, my work shirts come from lewin / pink

Edited by Geeman
Spell check

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

Been interested in trying a Kamakura Oxford for a while, any other feedback on them? Wish I'd made time to visit the store whilst in Tokyo.

For OCBD'S  I do love Beams, I 2 or 3 of them.

Again, I really like gitman, have 3 of them but there is something about the collar that bugs me a little. It's just that touch to high, possibly a report detail as brooks also have a high collar and deep roll? 

they do pretty decent shirts at excellent price points and their vintage line is just right for me.
fabrics, cut/pattern, workmanship and sizing works perfectly for me.

I used to wear Brooks in the past - classic OCBD. with all the recent changes I can't vouch for them any longer...would need to check again.

also, Drake's make perfect OCBD's - at their own shirt factory in the UK with a different price point.

Edited by Foxy2

Warehouse BD's are a staple, too! love their fabric choice.

and so are Samurai BD's (at 2nd) - if you can get the sizing right...

SDA's BD's used to be good, but then they changed the pattern.

Edited by Foxy2

The email I received from Rakuten on last Monday.  Thoughts?

Important Notice *

Starting June 27, Rakuten Global Express now offers overseas delivery services for not only products purchased on Rakuten Ichiba, but also for products purchased at other Japanese online shopping websites. 
Single items purchased on non-Rakuten online shopping websites may also be delivered.
It is perfect for you if you want to save on shipping by combining products purchased on multiple different websites into one package, or want to buy products from shops that don't provide overseas shipping.

overseas_en.png

I was able to snag a brown large Five Brother made in USA flannel from Donna for $50.  Anyone heard of this brand?  

In case anyone is interested, Donna1992 is running a sale 50% off made in USA Five Brother flannels until the 14tg.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/donna1992/item/151389/

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/donna1992/item/151389n/

Edited by mlwdp

^ Thanks for the tip-off. Seems funny to buy MiUSA shirts from Japan to save a buck, but this is hard to pass up. Five Brother has a great history in American workwear, and their current MiUSA line remains reasonably well-constructed. The only issue I've seen with mine is poorly-attached buttons, and that's an easy enough fix.

I tried some Kamakura a while ago at their store on Madison Ave. They didn't work out. I know this info is useless without a specific reason as to why, but I can't seem to recall what the issue was. I believe that the higher armholes force you to size up which in turn makes them too billowy in the midsection and big in the neck. I'm speaking of the NY classic fit.

Gitman has a neck opening that are just too large in my preferred XL. Pity as the overdye navy oxford is a beauty in person.

I found that Brooks Brothers' Regent fit is a pretty damn nice fit.

Oconnell's in Buffalo makes a nice shirt. If you find your neck size, the body falls in line quite nicely. They do however have some collars which are obnoxiously large.

Otherwise, none of these shirts render a good enough fit and low enough price to not justify mtm.

So here's the new made in USA Five Brother flannel I scored from Donna1992 on Rakuten for $50.  I couldn't pass this deal up.  

Fits great and heavy so this shirt will be limited to colder temperatures.

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

11 hours ago, Broark said:

Topwin is the same company that owns Velva Sheen and a few other companies. Seems like they bought the Five Brother rights in similar fashion to what they did with VS. 

I kept wondering what Topwin was as I never heard of them.  They sounded similar to Toyo.  Donna still has a couple XL left in other colors if you're interested.

Topwin is a Japanese owned factory located in America.  They're actually the ones who make all of our in-house Self Edge t-shirts for our graphic tees.  

I've been out of town on a road trip ID for a couple weeks. Haven't looked at SuFu once. Lots of catching up to do! 

A thought that occurred to me while I was browsing the Self Edge section today...

What would you think it a brand not only supplied shots of their jeans new, but also with some wear on them? Sure, it's going to be difficult with a new denim, but otherwise, wouldn't it be of interest? I guess you could always do a Google and figure it out.

The spark was seeing a few new PBJs, the new SE/PBJ rinse formula and also wondering what my ONI Aizumis are going to look like, should I maintain a weight low enough to wear them for the winter.

25 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

Well, Self Edge did add the feature to submit your own pics of products they feature. I'll probably contribute some when I take some decent pics of my FH denim shirt, 3Sixteens, etc. in the near future.

Yup, that's exactly the reason we added this feature to our site.  We now have worn photos of wallets, jeans, flannels..  I think we've had user submitted photographs added to a total of maybe 40 items in our online store.  As more get added over time we'll build a pretty good database of worn in items.

the worn pictures that came with Nudies reignited my interest in denim in about 2005...

UES do a good job showing faded examples, and I've had Momotaros that came with a swatch of the denim used in the jeans after a few washes and a bit of abuse