Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I drive a Ford pickup and ride a Harley. But also drive a Corolla.  Not to sound cliche but in the south, driving American is big.  Unfortunately, some people take that to the extremes to the point you'd think they would drive their pickups to the moon if they could.

• 2 weeks later...

One-wash vs. Raw

In the past I was a firm believer in only buying raw and do the soaking/washing on my own. To have the control and kind of a ritual.
Nowadays, I so much prefer the one-washed jeans. No real surprises down the road with too much shrinkage. Less worrying if the jeans come out with faded lines after the first own wash. Be able to wear the jeans right away. Also the jeans are still crispy enough for defined fades (speaking for SdA, Denime and Resolute for example but also Full Count).

So what is your routine these days?

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

These days I don't mind either one, I like one wash since you can just wear the jeans right off the bat and you know how the sizing will work out.
But I also like the whole process of the initial wash, waiting overnight for them to dry and the anticipation of starting to wear a new pair of jeans.

I used to like raw, then progressed to one-wash. Subsequently I followed the denim evolutionary cycle to stone wash and finally arrived at the holy grail that is heavily distressed. It’s all I buy nowadays and I can’t imagine wearing anything else again.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

On 7/5/2018 at 9:51 PM, kicks79 said:

I thought Trophy sold raw in their store in Tokyo. Maybe I'm misinformed. 

I don't see how raw would work based on their gritty texture of denim, particularly dirt denim.  But I'd be interested to see this.  I haven't been in the store but I believe someone here has.  Most of all the retailers I've seen carry them have one wash styles just like their webshop.

Some bad flooding and landslides, including in Okayama, the past few days.  Western Japan is getting the brute of the rain.  Been seeing flood pictures and videos on Japanese Instagram users.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/07/national/scenes-havoc-wreaked-heavy-rains-western-japan/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/07/national/least-eight-dead-46-missing-heavy-rains-continue-lash-western-japan/

What's sad is most of the news channels aren't reporting on this much, except for the tariffs, etc.

Edited by mlwdp

17 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I don't see how raw would work based on their gritty texture of denim, particularly dirt denim.  But I'd be interested to see this.  I haven't been in the store but I believe someone here has.  Most of all the retailers I've seen carry them have one wash styles just like their webshop.

Yeah you are right. I thought No Kipple used to have a raw and one wash variety. After checking Trophy's page it seems they only come in one wash. 

On 2018-07-07 at 11:36 AM, mlwdp said:

Some bad flooding and landslides, including in Okayama, the past few days.  Western Japan is getting the brute of the rain.  Been seeing flood pictures and videos on Japanese Instagram users.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/07/national/scenes-havoc-wreaked-heavy-rains-western-japan/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/07/national/least-eight-dead-46-missing-heavy-rains-continue-lash-western-japan/

What's sad is most of the news channels aren't reporting on this much, except for the tariffs, etc.

Anybody heard of how our Japanese denim friends are holding up? Read earlier today of a big rescue mission at the hospital in Kurashiki due to the floods.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 8:27 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

With the recent hot weather, I detect a distinct lack of jeans-wearing so it’s time for everyone to post their JORTS!

Well, seeing how some of our Japanese friends on Instagram are still wearing denim while experiencing a heat wave of 105 right now..I still say BRING ON THE JORTS!

3 hours ago, mlwdp said:

John Mayer was probably the first customer.  And Jeff Goldblum was second.

Those are two hardcore LA retail heads... they both also been shopping at SELA for years, we love having them because they're genuinely so into the details of the product.

I will post my jorts when there's decent light...never thought i'd have to say that in the last month or so with the heatwave.

anyway in a strange way I am happy the weather has taken a turn for the worse, as I can now wear jeans again!