Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

15 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

I think that Reddit’s format is perfect for lurkers and some topics, like technology, where things are constantly changing and there’s a lot of new news. 

I think it’s horrible for raw denim. Any information that could’ve been useful gets buried with each new post, meaning you see the same things pop up over and over and over again. 

Also, Reddit’s format in general just seems very impersonal. Maybe it’s because the site is so huge but if you make a comment it seems like almost no one will read it, whereas with superfuture people are forced to read your drivel! Again, I think it works well for lurkers though when you sort by top rated comments or whatever. 

That's very well said. It works for very casual information, but is terrible for going in depth on anything and having real, lasting discussions

Hello, 

I am in need of some advice. This yellow thread came loose in my crotch area. The sections that are pulled up are secured down the rest of the inseam, but popped out near the crotch. My fear of clipping the thread is that it looks as if it is intertwined with the ochre thread on the inside of the jeans, as I tried to show in the second picture. Can anyone suggest what I should do about this? Thank you!

image2-2.JPG

image1-3.JPG

cut the outside thread at the bar tack and pull the lose ends over to the inside and fix it on the inside with a knot.

have an additional top stitch placed over the inseam if you care.

I like reddit fine, but it's better for discrete questions that just call for a few answers.

What I don't understand with supertalk is why it is using a home-developped solution and constantly reinventing the wheel when all those issues are addressed by the major forum softwares. (I think the same thing about the DP review forum.)

Edited by JDelage

Good point, basically nothing on this forum seems to work right and it's probably why I hardly post here anymore. The forum used to work fine, most of the "updates" over the last few years have only made things worse. The Reddit format sucks but at least it's stable.

What's funny is I love reddit and it's an unbelievable source of information for so many other things... just not a fan of the raw denim sub. The people there don't want to spend the big money on stuff which is when it gets really good and are much more concerned with saving money than over here. Also, the motto is "since when do jeans need to be washed?"... bit too 2010 for my tastes.

Reddit seems to favor crazy, textured denim from what I've noticed as well. I was like this when I first started as well.

The jeans I have been wearing all are normal looking in comparison and lighter in weight. Seems that's a common thing on Superfuture as well, with most favoring relatively normal appearing denim. 

I still post on the raw denim reddit more than I'd care to admit. It's weird, and a little scary: I'm well aware of how little I gain from the discussions there, yet I keep going back pretty much non-stop. Their format may not lend itself to continued discussions, but they've really nailed down the addictiveness factor…

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted this comment on the Heddels article about organic cotton; 

This is a rather poorly written and under researched article. There's some factual correctness, but there's also myths, mis-understandings, and incorrect info. Big Organic is a mega-billion $$$ industry, and there's prolific use of propaganda and fear mongering to promote and protect the industry. Organic is a complex and polarizing topic, and it can be difficult to separate facts from ideology.

This linked article is well written and researched by someone in another branch of the fashion/apparel world. Even though it's 3+ years old now, it's still relevant and consistent with what I currently read elsewhere. The article sites sources of data and provides links for further info. 

https://fashionhedge.com/2015/03/12/the-truth-about-organic-cotton/ 

I've been meaning to bring up the topic here for some time. I used to be pro-organic. Some years ago I decided to do some reading/research/listening outside of the organic echo chamber, and I found much info that has made me completely change my tune about organic. In fact I'm quite disgusted by some of the propaganda and fear mongering tactics Big Organic uses to promote it's industry. 

I'm not intending to start a political or ideological argument about conventional vs organic. I am interested to know of real factual data about cotton. The only pair of jeans I own that I know are of organic cotton are the Samurai 16th anniversary S510OG 16oz AK. They're one of my favorite pairs and one of my favorite denims, but I don't think that because they are of organic cotton that has anything to do with it. I feel there are many denims that are made with high-quality conventional denim that are extraordinary. Any other clothing that I have that is made of organic cotton is indistinguishable from something made with conventional cotton. 

If there are in fact benefits from organic vs conventional cotton, then I'd surely be open to supporting it, but I've yet to find anything to convince me. 

So I found a vintage piece I’ve been looking for for years... a 1950s loopwheeled sweatshirt. Fits me perfectly. Faded, worn in and soft but perfect stitching. Chainstitch embroidery on the hem... its perfect, except it’s a sorority print on it.

should I wear it?

16 hours ago, Niro said:

So with this 'fantastic' trade war being initiated by Trump, will the price of US made jeans be going up in Europe soon?

The Trump tarrifs are for goods imported into the US, for Made in America products to increase in Europe the EU or each country would have to introduce their own tarrifs on US products. 

1 hour ago, UkeNo said:

The Trump tarrifs are for goods imported into the US, for Made in America products to increase in Europe the EU or each country would have to introduce their own tarrifs on US products. 

Yea I know, that's why I said the trade war being initiated by Trump, as from the language of EU leaders and officials, it's looking very likely they will introduce retaliatory tarrifs.

I know several months ago, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, said if Trump put in his tarrifs, EU would introduce tarrifs on products such as blue jeans and specifically name dropped Levi's (probably because it's the biggest name in american denim). I guess we will have to wait and see.

Juncker will not be able to convince all the member states that these tariffs will be workable. No chance. Each country will have to make a decision based on their trade balance with the US - which realistically I don't think they will. Maybe Germany and the UK?... Maybe?

...so boring....

Edited by UkeNo

I'm wondering why anybody would want to buy American/American-made cars (aside from 1 or 2 specific models, but even those)...

Edited by Foxy2

Yeah, Mustangs, Challengers and humongous Ram trucks are slowly becoming a more common sight around here but of course it's nothing like Audis and BMWs in the USA. (And those muscle cars and especially trucks will be gone again once LPG gets more expensive)

Only partially related, but I think it's funny how Ford stopped selling anything but pickup trucks in the USA. Maybe instead of tarrifs on foreign sedans, just have them build one again that people actually want to drive? :D 

Their mid-range sedans have died down a lot, but along with trucks they also still sell quite a few compact and subcompact little hatchbacks—the Focus and the Fiesta and whatnot are very common here.

In principle I'm all for creating and maintaining domestic jobs, but in practice I doubt I'll ever be able to convince myself that that's enough to justify buying cars from anywhere but Japan or Germany…