Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Finally got around to getting a chambray “service shirt” from my most favourite brand Knickerbocker a few weeks ago, and it showed up today.

As always, I am the biggest fan of their construction, material, attention to detail and branding.

Unfortunately, I made a giant blunder and bought 1 size to large (bought a medium for some reason even though I own other Knickerbocker shirts that are a size small). I dont know why this happened! Damn it.

Posting this so that you guys can either easy my sorrows, or laugh at them

0791ED2F-81A9-434F-B11B-C6B21EA0BF76.jpeg

F99C3260-6F31-4B0D-8CA3-8119FA41F88D.jpeg

3 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

@MasonAlexanderIt happens lol. Chambrays are hard sizing for me too.  Took me 3 tries to get the correct fit, especially as I have lost some weight.  

Are you banking on the shrinking once you wash your chambray?  

Its one wash already, so I honestly dont think i’ll be able to get enough. Waiting to hear back from the guys at Knickerbocker right now about a potential exchange, as that would be my preferred route. If however they dont have my correct size in stock...

i will wash and dry as hot as i can and pray for a shrink

For what it's worth, the fit really doesn't look bad as is. The shoulders are maybe a bit wide, but there doesn't seem to be too much bunching around the armpits or any of that. Overall, looks pretty close to the fit I like to go for when I'm planning on wearing a shirt for working outside. That said, different folks for sure have different preferences, and it's a bummer that you didn't get what you were hoping for this time around.

For me, especially since I'm short, I use the hem shirt length ratio to rise and back of pants pocket length.  Basically, if the shirt is longer than the rise of th pants to the point that it looks like a dress in the front and no exposure of the back pockets in the back, then the shirt is too big.  I'm weird like that but it helps me pick a shirt that fits versus a shirt that looks like a gown on me (or a cape).

It doesn't look too big until you get to the length, it probably looks fine tucked, or maybe have it shortened by a few cm? I agree with @mlwdp here, up top the fit looks fine but since it covers the complete front rise and the back pockets it looks too long. Also, maybe it's just the pose and angle but it pretty much looks longer than your jeans in the front pic ;) So, if you have to keep it, my vote's for tuck or shorten.

Mason, at first sight the shirt appears to be obviously too big, primarily because it is too long. We can’t really tell if the chest fits properly and we can’t see the sleeve length either. If both of those are good, you have the right size but in a vintage style where the length is unflattering. Even if you tucked it in you may end up with the billowy middle-management style that @Iron Horseis so fond of! In that case you could either shorten it or sell it and buy something else.

I suspect, however, that it’s too big overall as you’ve posted it in the Blunders thread. Hopefully you can exchange it.

44 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Even if you tucked it in you may end up with the billowy middle-management style that @Iron Horseis so fond of! In that case you could either shorten it or sell it and buy something else.

You wanna know what's next?

This, my friends, is what's next.

jerry+baggy+shirt.jpg

tumblr_lsv4e59UZA1r0ntrno1_500.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse

Thanks for all of the input everybody!

Not to dwell on this shirt, but after trying on a bunch of my size Small Knickerbocker shirts today, I have absolutely no idea why I bought a medium this time around. So I contacted them about sending it back, which they happily obliged.

Problem solved. Disaster avoided. Not looking forward to waiting for this one to get to them and the fresh one to come back though! Dang it!

D80FCC10-7C75-4FA7-9B11-1C03BCBA148A.jpeg

E5513E0F-01AC-4F0B-AB5F-345D80A162E0.jpeg