Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

On 11/1/2017 at 6:05 PM, aho said:

Any new instagrams you're all following lately (or any sources of inspiration)? I've been pretty vocal on my distaste for the "curated menswear lifestyle" types who all seem to be the same guy with the same camera rolling up their selvedge skinnies to expose their Chup's and Viberg's; I'm getting super burnt out on the whole scene and am in desperate need of inspiration :/

I'm a bit late commenting on this (been away for a couple of months) but it's the same for most ig whatever the interest the poster holds dear. I'm probably one of those who post their Vibergs and Chups but how does it differ from multitude of Seikos or ig pages full of macro shots showing minute details of denim? Don't get me wrong but everything becomes repetitive after a while if it's not exactly your thing or you'd like more variety. And as I've commented on your ig keep the Seiko posts coming!

Btw, I don't like posters endorsing obvious freebies and have turned a couple of offers down (who would even want an ugly watch made out of wood?) but on the other hand there's lots of folks who post what they do because they genuinely like the stuff shown in the pics.

I have a separate room with 10 custom-designed upright freezers specifically for hanging my denim collection (100 pairs) so that I never have to wash them and get sick fadez.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I hang them in my closet with regular plastic hangers - the hangers are wider than the waist of my jeans, so I can put them inside the waistband and they stay in place. This won't work if your waist is bigger than size 32 or so.

I find that if I have a pair folded for a while, it drapes kinda weird until I soak/wash it, so I usually prefer to hang up my jeans.

After a few years of wearing only selvedge denim jeans, I recently bought a pair of Chad Prom jeans made from a mid-blue washed turkish projectile loom denim, and the jeans had a further garment wash.

A pleb I may be, but these beat the shit out of all of my other jeans for comfort and fit. Will post a fit pic soon - these have that illusive sufu drainpipe fit!

Edited by Sensuki

On 1/30/2018 at 5:54 PM, mlwdp said:

Just curious, how are some of y'all storing/hanging your denim?  

i use a wide wood hanger and put it outside in the balcony to prevent any odors from a few months unwashed jeans...

On 2/2/2018 at 11:44 AM, Sensuki said:

After a few years of wearing only selvedge denim jeans, I recently bought a pair of Chad Prom jeans made from a mid-blue washed turkish projectile loom denim, and the jeans had a further garment wash.

A pleb I may be, but these beat the shit out of all of my other jeans for comfort and fit. Will post a fit pic soon - these have that illusive sufu drainpipe fit!

its just my 2 cents , but isnt it relatively bit easier to achieve the desired fit on non-selvedge denim than selvedge denim?  Especially if there is any tapering involved.

As yall might already know , the selvedge pattern need the outseam to be completely straight from bottom hem to at least the meeting of pocket bag and hips area for the sake of the selvedge line. I think this rule is kind of hinder the pattern making process.

CMIIW

as a pattern maker I must add that in most cases you would leave this section straight for men's patterns, unless you do skinny, heavy tapered cuts, bell-bottoms or work with stretch materials...

On 1/30/2018 at 4:03 AM, mrman said:

I use these cheap IKEA hangers (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30238543/), hanging from the belt loops

Are these Ikea hangers any better/different than other wood hangers with notches (that can be purchased on Amazon)? 

3 hours ago, mpukas said:

Are these Ikea hangers any better/different than other wood hangers with notches (that can be purchased on Amazon)? 

Can't answer that as I have no experience with Amazon hangers but they are the cheapest in our neck of the woods. And amazingly sturdy for that price, 50c each