Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I've been told that Japan right now is where the US was in the '70s. Occasionally I'll hear about this factory or that mill quietly closing down. Minimum order quantities are also very low; it used to be in the thousands, now they'll go much, much lower. 

The option the government is taking is temporary foreign labor to fill in these jobs: 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/03/national/japan-quietly-accepting-foreign-workers-just-dont-call-immigration/#.WkMNRFWWYdU

"Send us your construction workers, your care givers, your store clerks — but for a limited time only.

That’s the message from Japan, where the number of foreign workers, though still relatively small, has nearly doubled over the past eight years, and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s ruling party is considering policies to speed up arrivals.

Just don’t call it immigration. Japan will allow more unskilled workers to enter temporarily, as companies struggle to fill positions in a country with the lowest unemployment rate among the Group of Seven nations. Abe has made it clear that opening the nation to permanent immigration by unskilled labor isn’t an option, reflecting a historic fear among the Japanese that foreign nationals would cause social unrest and erode national identity."

There have certainly been problems with mistreatment of foreign workers, so hopefully that is closely watch (I think @Foxy2 has more knowledge about this area).

35 minutes ago, Collin said:

I know now that I've been interested too much lately on Rawdenim and superdenim when I'm reading medical reports about TBC (tuberculosis) for my finals and I read TCB instead....

Both are contagious :D

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas in January.  It's even more special when you see the EMS label on the package which confirms you had nothing to worry about in the first place (when on edge about "missing" packages via usps tracking).

@MJF9 I haven't really tried them on or anything yet, but I'm planning on taking photos of both jeans for the appropriate threads.
I love the black seed denim when it's raw, they're my third pair of Roy's using this denim so I'll post some comparison shots with my other pairs as well.

TIFU. I figured since I needed a lot of shrink on my memorial Roy’s I’d just throw them in the wash on extra hot instead of going through the trouble of soaking them in the tub. When I took them out all of the ink on the awesome patch was gone and they shrunk a ton and are probably too small now. Can’t believe I was so stupid. 

6 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

Sorry to hear that @spacecadet. Get them worn around the house to try and stretch them back out... they can only expand now. If the worst comes to the worst, I'm sure someone will take them off your hands. Good luck!

Thanks @MJF9. Just tried them on and fit is actually alright. I just ruined the patch.

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Thanks @MJF9. Just tried them on and fit is actually alright. I just ruined the patch.

i made a mistake once too and turn my real mccoy leather patch into a beef jerky,they shrunk so much they almost act like a cinchback so i cut them out.

This Wall Street Journal article was pretty funny. Anybody ready to jump on a pair of raws with a Kylo Ren rise?

On a more serious note, the way rise tends to go up and down over the years is kinda fascinating. I prefer my jeans to be a mid rise, which I consider to be just under the very top/pointy part of my hipbones. This feels most natural and comfy to me. In the past, I've worn jeans that fit lower (Nudie, Flat Head SE05BSP, PBJ XX-011) and I get used to it, but feel like it looks proportionally weird because of how tall I am. Any jeans that sat totally above my hipbones would probably feel too high up, plus I'd really have to bend my (long) arms to get my hands in the front pockets.

I'm probably an unusual case though, since I'm very tall for my waist size (30-31.)

What height do most of you wear your jeans?

1 hour ago, Cold Summer said:

This Wall Street Journal article was pretty funny. Anybody ready to jump on a pair of raws with a Kylo Ren rise?

On a more serious note, the way rise tends to go up and down over the years is kinda fascinating. I prefer my jeans to be a mid rise, which I consider to be just under the very top/pointy part of my hipbones. This feels most natural and comfy to me. In the past, I've worn jeans that fit lower (Nudie, Flat Head SE05BSP, PBJ XX-011) and I get used to it, but feel like it looks proportionally weird because of how tall I am. Any jeans that sat totally above my hipbones would probably feel too high up, plus I'd really have to bend my (long) arms to get my hands in the front pockets.

I'm probably an unusual case though, since I'm very tall for my waist size (30-31.)

What height do most of you wear your jeans?

I used to wear low rise jeans (Momotaro, RJB) and then I discovered higher rise fits and fell in love with them. I wear them above my hips right now and that feels far more comfortable than before, especially because I tuck my shirts in quite often. 

all my jeans are between 25.5cm-31cm front rise, + 10cm for back rise, w/ a 72-78cm waist. i feel between 27-30 FR is perfect for me the 31cm rise on my 20's is super nice and roomy but at times i feel like it doesn't provide enough containment. 

Edited by FreeCharlesManson

I'm around 6'2" and am pretty happy with anything in the 10.5–12" range in front. I like jeans to sit right at the top of my hip bones. I definitely have trouble with rear rises below around 15.5", and usually find this measurement to be more important to whether a pair of pants'll work for me.

5 minutes ago, orchestrion said:

Currently on hold with USPS. Had a pair of Mister Freedom jeans marked as delivered with nothing on the porch when I got home. :ohmy:

Good luck.  You're at the mercy of USPS at this point.  They probably mis-scanned , a common mistake with USPS.  /Usps on reddit definitely opened up my eyes a little so I would suggest going on there to air out your grievances and questions.

Btw, I'm monitoring a ems package with a new delivery address so I'm crossing my fingers!

Edited by mlwdp

24 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Good luck.  You're at the mercy of USPS at this point.  They probably mis-scanned , a common mistake with USPS.  /Usps on reddit definitely opened up my eyes a little so I would suggest going on there to air out your grievances and questions.

Btw, I'm monitoring a ems package with a new delivery address so I'm crossing my fingers!

Don’t I know it. It was delayed about a week thanks to the winter storms on the east coast and was marked as out for delivery two days ago with no updates. Finally marked as delivered today with nothing to show for it. Already on the reddit thing...I don’t use it but a friend of mine used their account to try and get some answers. Already contacted the seller to see if they have any more info than I do. 

not sure if this was common knowledge on sufu, but I just discovered it. I'm always complaining about the photo quality on sufu when you upload an image-- even with a real camera. BUT I discovered if you're view sufu on a computer (not a phone) and you click on the image, you are able to see the image with the original quality... just thought others would like to know.

Well, the same is true for phones as too (at least for me). Click the pic to get the Pinterest pop up, click again to open a new page with much better quality. 

Edited by Spiraltoy
Grammar

Broke down and bought the Trophy Black Dirt Denim TRP1605BK from Denimio with a coupon.  I'm interested in the grey tiny in the fades.  Can't wait to get them next week!  My only concern is the rise as I normally do 29-30cm.