Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

On 11/17/2017 at 2:39 PM, Cucoo said:

Yeah, that IS really cool. Been some time since I've seen such a cool idea, rider / deck jacket hybrid, nice one. 

Yeah, West Ride does comes out with some cool stuff every now and then, especially if you can get your hands on their offerings.  I'd like to think they give Iron Heart some competition minus the denim area.

I'm starting to wear my Boncura 66 that I bought back this summer in Tokyo at Loftman. They are one washed carefully by the shop crew so they are not messed up and really rigid ! I'm loving the cut so far, definitely like the higher rise compared to the 2 other jeans in my rotation (TCB 50s slim and Stevenson overall 767) and the deer leather patch design is one of my favorite.. Tho the leg twist is really pronounced, I can feel that the 2 legs are not the "same" in the top block ! 

Just found out on this forum that my favorite fitting pair of jeans, my Lee Archives 1936 101Bs, will shrink like unsanforized denim, even though they are labeled "sanforized." I had them hemmed a few months ago. They're still raw, so they're fine for now, but I guess I'll have to learn to love them as highwaters down the road.

Edited by 428CJ

@d-rew12 get them! i wasn't sure about them at first but once they break in and the sulfur smell wears off they are incredible. the fabric is rough and marbled on the outside and very smooth/regular feeling inside, and they fade very subtly, which assuaged my worry with getting a pair of black jeans (that they would fade quickly to grey).

on the clothes front, i've been contemplating a pair of roys that have been sitting on grailed for a few weeks now. but my desire to get them feels largely provoked by cone nostalgia and not because i really need a new pair of jeans. going back to my parents' place for thanksgiving i saw i still have a pair of freewheelers, evisus and TCBs to get through, plus another pair of tenders; more than enough for the foreseeable future.

i feel like (at least personally) a lot of the frenzy around new releases has died down here somewhat, for a number of reasons—folks seem to be fixating on fewer brands, committing to individual pairs for longer periods of time (especially with all the contests and world tours happening) and putting greater emphasis on non-denim clothing in their wardrobes. i think it's a good thing for this community, ultimately, even if it makes me worry a bit for the viability of Western denim retailers in the long run.

that said, i'd love a nice pair of wattle or mud-dyed slacks or chinos some time soon... not sure how to begin looking though

6 hours ago, Cucoo said:

Lots of TCB 20s have been picked up and LVC is all the rage with many members right now...

hella luv for lvc rite now (cone feels - the denim is good)

and yes: been waiting for tcb20s for about 2 yrs now

&

21 hours ago, iamsuperflush said:

Who else skates in their raws?

13 hours ago, Geeman said:

Mr Bielby

yes that mr biebly does the trix along with having the biggest 60s cut collection EVER and hella nice trainer stash

@chicote  Funny! we are definitely eyeing the same pair on grailed (RN04 ?) !! Never tried some Cone and I always wanted to try a pair of ROY ! In the meantime I also would like to try some Visvim and eventually debating on buying Flash's evisu N'01 or not.

I think the fact that Cone is closing has been the best publicity they could have in a long time !

41 minutes ago, Collin said:

think the fact that Cone is closing has been the best publicity they could have in a long time !

Probably. I know that while I've always eyed certain LVC models, the uncertainty of what comes next for them is what made me buy 2 of them right now...

I wonder if Cone closing will either cause a massive "going out of business" sale, or some kind of "limited supply" price hike.

Maybe all the money they'll make will let them open up a new business 2 streets over, and under a different name! Just like all the furniture stores around me!

On 11/25/2017 at 1:57 PM, chicote said:

@d-rew12 get them! i wasn't sure about them at first but once they break in and the sulfur smell wears off they are incredible. the fabric is rough and marbled on the outside and very smooth/regular feeling inside, and they fade very subtly, which assuaged my worry with getting a pair of black jeans (that they would fade quickly to grey).

I've been trying to get back into Black jeans for a little while now, it's just more do I need jeans or not haha. And messed up my back and been told I should lose some weight so i've been on the edge... But man do I want them!

Crossposted.

Chainstitch hem styles (L-R) BlueinGreen, BlueOwl, Standard & Strange, BlueOwl, Godspeed (Melbourne AU). Digging the hem width and choice to begin/end hem on outseam vs. inseam. Not to mention thread color. BiG and BOW have always tried to color-match the original thread color when hemming. S&S and Godspeed didn't, but that isn't a complaint. All work is impeccable.

IMG_20171129_160929.jpg

big wins for how thin their hems are, and how small the visible seam allowance (?)/bit between the chainstitch and the weft. love it. blue owl's hems are so thick they almost defeat the purpose of getting them chainstitched.

actually, the BiG one looks pretty sloppy with that uneven bit - BlueOwl is definetly not using an original folder and I would recommend they get a better one...

I'll have Kurt Chen over at Faith hem my Levi's soon (the previous owner had then non-chainstitch hemmed) and see how it goes, but from what I can tell Kurt is very good with his Union Special.

In the meantime, the only chainstitch hem job I've had done, by Take5 Taipei:

IMG_3474.JPG