Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

One thing I noticed is that people who don't have an avi but their screen name starts with the letter M such as myself, our picture shows as an image of "M".  I kept thinking after I posted recently that I must've been drunk and started posting everywhere as I kept seeing the M image pop up in other threads!:D

Edited by mlwdp

The new rep system seems very Facebook-like. I'm a fan of simple UI design, and there's no real need for "TRASHrep" and "SUPERrep" especially since they're semantically the same as "NEGrep" and "POSrep" respectively (i.e. you get the same amount of rep). Also, for me, the weird diagonal arrows are not an obvious symbol for rep unlike the up and down arrow.

59e44ddac323e_ScreenShot2017-10-16at5_11_15pm.png.a34c8bc23b654709b994a8d63dfa24a1.png

Maybe they could also fix the letter avatars since they're currently pixelated and not centred. It definitely reminds me of Android's current design for contacts without a photo except I'm unsure if you can change the colour of the background on this forum... I actually liked the way they had it before because it was like Twitter where an egg is just used for those without a photo.

59e44e6b0be8f_ScreenShot2017-10-16at5_11_24pm.png.9069941c9ebf8298eb980bfa59759b86.png

Not hating, but just my opinions on my experience.

agreeing. having to create avatar image now to avoid the brutality of letter ident

not asking for full anon culture, but def preferred old style

but; how to work with the bad news things rather than pine for the good ole days (as brecht would say)

super-rep for all! (there seems to be no 'allowance' so we could go crazy with our positivity...)

5 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

The new rep system seems very Facebook-like. I'm a fan of simple UI design, and there's no real need for "TRASHrep" and "SUPERrep" especially since they're semantically the same as "NEGrep" and "POSrep" respectively (i.e. you get the same amount of rep). Also, for me, the weird diagonal arrows are not an obvious symbol for rep unlike the up and down arrow.

59e44ddac323e_ScreenShot2017-10-16at5_11_15pm.png.a34c8bc23b654709b994a8d63dfa24a1.png

Maybe they could also fix the letter avatars since they're currently pixelated and not centred. It definitely reminds me of Android's current design for contacts without a photo except I'm unsure if you can change the colour of the background on this forum... I actually liked the way they had it before because it was like Twitter where an egg is just used for those without a photo.

59e44e6b0be8f_ScreenShot2017-10-16at5_11_24pm.png.9069941c9ebf8298eb980bfa59759b86.png

Not hating, but just my opinions on my experience.

FYI the updated rep is part of the new software update from the forum software we've used since 2011... the previous update we did earlier in the year was a bigger one - from 3.4 --> 4.0. this current one just installed is 4.2.5  [thats 25 incremental updates but this latest one has quite a lot of changes].  

we have no say what goes in the new software so the best we can do is tweak to make it not look as crappy as the default. most of the time it's improvement to functionality and security stuff.

-----
re the harry potter rep wizardry...  seems it's definitely part of a move by the software devs towards more nuanced 'reactions' beyond just + /-  [as well as a general move towards UI micro animations]

so..this is the default...

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 5.43.40 PM.png

vomit... so i did a very quick 30 minute redesign of the icons...
i think adding an extra degree of nuance to pos and neg is actually a good new option. if i could i'd be adding extra rep power to icons - but that ain't possible. ie. superep = 10 trash - 10. anyway maybe we can make the blue rep neutral ? [its currently +] - sort of like an acknowledgement that you have read a post - maybe icon should be a dog pissing on a tree.

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 8.42.21 PM.png

as for the new default replacement user tiles - for users without pics  - i tried to update these but turns out they are all .png images so i can't even change the font. and they certainly aren't great design.. but still somehow prefer to default eggs and faceless heads. anyway if members just uploaded profile pic we'd not need them.. ??

we also have UTF8 ios icons in this update [coming]... which some people will like and others hate. 

we've also tried to clean up css a bit. got rid of borders etc. so it's hopefully looking a bit cleaner... [still a bit to fix] but forums are insanely fiddly to customize at the best of times.. and every time there is an update we have to redo much of it all over again. 

yup //

to be fair - the software is the best we've ever had - design isn't their speciality - and IMHO i think this is the only forum software good enough to be able to keep pace with facebook google apple etc. as they entirely vacuum up what's left of the internetz.

intriguingly, the one thing those companies have never been able to successfully do is reproduce forum software. 

anyway... rambling a bit off topic. might move these to a new thread re: supertalk update once it's all done.

What's everyone's opinion on the state of denim and "heritage" related shops in 2017? Seems like there has been some rather seismic shifts going on where some brands/retailers are closing down, inventory movement seems slow, and others are moving away from denim and "heritage" related apparel i.e. BiG. Not too mention the over saturation of stores popping up to fill the same niche even when raw denim thing has died down compared to a few years ago.

Just curious as to how our favorite shops are holding up since it looks rough in the foreseeable future.

Edited by ALB

4 hours ago, ALB said:

What's everyone's opinion on the state of denim and "heritage" related shops in 2017? Seems like there has been some rather seismic shifts going on where some brands/retailers are closing down, inventory movement seems slow, and others are moving away from denim and "heritage" related apparel i.e. BiG. Not too mention the over saturation of stores popping up to fill the same niche even when raw denim thing has died down compared to a few years ago.

Just curious as to how our favorite shops are holding up since it looks rough in the foreseeable future.

Indigoshrimp can probably tell you more about the state of denim/heritage shops in Australia. I must admit that I don't really shop locally because the prices tend to be a lot higher than when shopping online, but that might change mid-2018 when Australians will have to pay import duties/taxes on everything (currently, you only have to pay when it's over AUD 1000).

The only shops I care about in Melbourne are Pickings & Parry, Godspeed Store, and Corlection. I saw on Instagram that there's another denim store called Urban Lupe that opened in late-2016, but they're less "heritage" with RGT, Railcar, and Tellason. I think the three stores I mentioned are doing okay, but wouldn't really know... Only saying this because I know P&P are opening a sister store for women, the peeps at Godspeed seem to have good connections with Japanese brands such as RMC and Fullcount, and Corlection has got the Asian/mainland Chinese demographic covered. 

I never knew you were from Melbourne?! @propellerbeanie

You think they will actually get that import tax change through? Seems very unpopular, not to mention extremely hard to enforce.

Here in Sydney, we had two denim shops close. Great Southern Deim and New Vintage. So not sure how popular the whole heritage/denim thing is here. 

Globally it does seem that there is an oversaturation of brands and shops. 

21 hours ago, kicks79 said:

I never knew you were from Melbourne?! @propellerbeanie

You think they will actually get that import tax change through? Seems very unpopular, not to mention extremely hard to enforce.

Here in Sydney, we had two denim shops close. Great Southern Deim and New Vintage. So not sure how popular the whole heritage/denim thing is here. 

Globally it does seem that there is an oversaturation of brands and shops. 

i think it'll happen even if labor gets in.

2 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

200 jobs lost, and as a native Greensboro resident here, this city can't afford to lose more jobs.  Without turning this into a political convo, I will say "someone" had their victory rally on jobs performance a little too early, especially when it comes to American made goods.

When I went to Mill Day festival, I spoke to a few shop owners about the plant.  It wasn't really brought up about the closing coming so this is a bit of a shock and caught everyone off guard today just by going off Instagram and Facebook.

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

such a sad news, Levi's especially shouldn't let this happen

There's no way Levi's is getting involved in this.. word is they're looking to go public or bring in big outside investment in the next year or so.  What that means is if one private equity firm didn't see any use in keeping White Oak open then future Levi's definitely wouldn't want to go down that path.

42 minutes ago, JDelage said:

One more reason the last Roy's are going to be special. If that news had hit a few days ago, that ebay auction would easily have reached $50k.  :-)

Those Roy's were actually 'free to the highest bidder' in the end so it was all just a gimmick, no money changed hands for those jeans in the end. 

Having said that...now's the time to get your cone mills jeans if you've always been curious. 

Edited by UkeNo

Besides our great BBQ and sports, now would be a great time to visit NC and venture to Greensboro to see this plant and other historical elements of Cone Denim in the area!  Every denim head/Cone Denim fan should make the trek out here if you can.

Edited by mlwdp