Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

2 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

It's freaky how every couple years there's a new wave of common posters... so trippy to think about all the people who used to post all the time but don't anymore. Including me kinda...

try logging in everyday since 1999... sometimes i think i'm at the forefront of a yet to be documented future mental condition.

2 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

It's freaky how every couple years there's a new wave of common posters... so trippy to think about all the people who used to post all the time but don't anymore. Including me kinda...

Pretty normal. I used to post a lot on a Volvo 240 forum years ago, I don't post anymore and log in perhaps one a month just because my car projects are done. I guess it's the same to some old poster, that maybe just keep buying the same of jeans they're already worn in..

I enjoy reading the discussion on brands I like (well, actually, the ones I like aren't discussed here much anymore...) and seeing people's fade pics. But since I tend to wear the same pair of jeans until they're totally broken in, there's less to discuss compared to when I was buying new jeans all the time and trying to figure out what fits worked for me.

(The answer to that last question, by the way, is "not very many.")

18 hours ago, kicks79 said:

Anyone recommend some natural fabric cleaner for denim?

I had some APC x ASOP fabric soap a few years back that had a great lemon and cedar scent to it. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore.

Thanks, in advance.

I use tide- does the job well

5 hours ago, Cucoo said:

While googling around for pictures of rough out service boots I fell down a peculiar rabbit hole: http://stylemann.com/best-ways-to-style-chippewa-boots/ - #17, #23 and #33 make me think someone is entitled to royalties :D Maybe it's all the estrogen?

Estrogen shmestrogen, I want my check! :D

All right, here's a recent blunder—would be better with pics; perhaps I can work something out, but for now I just want to exorcise:

Spotted a pair of No.1 Special Yamane Stylecraft Evisu on eBay, 35" x 35", single painted gull on right pocket.  I'm a 33, so figured was worth a punt if it didn't go up too high.  Well, it started at $12.99—that's a baker's dozen of our feeble antipodean dollars, so less than $10 US—so I put in a low snipe and forgot about it.

Few days later, and they're mine for the princely sum of $15.10.  Kyaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Next day, for postage equivalent almost to the cost of the jeans, they're in my hot little hands... open the bag... oh yes, this is No.1 denim all right, everything checks out, selvedge in the coin pocket, Yamane tag in waistband, style-craft buttons, kanji on rivets, let's get a look at those hems baby, yeah!

Booooooh!  Where is the selvedge?!  What's this thick single-stitched hem?

Some.. barbarian.. has tapered these things, they have been desecrated from the hips down—no original needlework remains!  I withdraw my "kyaaa".

Needless to say, I can't get them over my thighs, even if I wanted to.  And the gull is pink.  Someone custom-ordered what were once beautiful jeans, and had them massacred (although it's good alteration work, it must be said).

So yeah. $15 plus postage is not so much for an object lesson, I guess.  I messaged the seller with a restrained rant about how I should have thought to ask for measurements, but really I wasn't expecting to win the jeans anyway.  It's just cruel to have what should have been a monumental (for me) denim windfall turn out to be.. well, I could turn them into hot-pants, and they'd at least be original.  That mauve gull looked white in the photos.

9 hours ago, mondo said:

All right, here's a recent blunder—would be better with pics; perhaps I can work something out, but for now I just want to exorcise:

my condolences for your trauma

sobering lessons for us all...

hell is other people, and all that

or phps the experience is proving the truth of shoot first ask questions later...

at least you'll have a source pile of nice denim swatches for repairs if you ever get into boro

(i say this glibly whilst hiding my own secret shame of wrought devastation with shears upon innocent garments)

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Am I the only one massively disappointed by the summer sale this year? Normally I'm used to finding at least a handful of interesting pieces that I consider buying, but this year.. pretty much nothing.

13 hours ago, Frost said:

Am I the only one massively disappointed by the summer sale this year? Normally I'm used to finding at least a handful of interesting pieces that I consider buying, but this year.. pretty much nothing.

What summer sale are you referring to? 

7 minutes ago, Frost said:

Summer sale in general, across most shops. Not many interesting items on sale, no high discounts... Sort of disappointing.

Mr. Porter has a okish sale right now including some Gitman, etc.  A lot of it is gone now though.  I just scored a nice linen Freeman Sporting Club shirt for $66.  

Edited by mlwdp

10 hours ago, d-rew12 said:

Kind of offtopic (but could be denim related). Anyone have any recommendations for things to see/do/eat in Austin and Philly (can or doesn't have to be denim related)? Going to both in a few weeks to visit friends. 

Im no longer a philly resident but lived there for 10 years. I would definitely go to Pats cheese steaks and get a "wiz wit". Also the schuykill river has a really nice path for biking running etc. if you're into history there's a plethora of options- I love valley forge park. There are also some really great breweries in the area- tired hands being my favorite. If you don't have a car SEPTA trains are easy to get to those places. 

4 hours ago, Broark said:

@d-rew12shoot me a PM if you have any questions about Austin, lived here for about 7 years now. We could have a Boncoura meet-up. :D

Yeah, I regret not having had the time to hit you up! Only thing we had time for in Austin was watching the bats and getting In'n'Out - I blame the outlets in San Marcos for costing us pretty much a whole day :D

10 hours ago, Broark said:

@d-rew12shoot me a PM if you have any questions about Austin, lived here for about 7 years now. We could have a Boncoura meet-up. :D

Awesome, Pm'd you!

9 hours ago, nycsurfer530 said:

Im no longer a philly resident but lived there for 10 years. I would definitely go to Pats cheese steaks and get a "wiz wit". Also the schuykill river has a really nice path for biking running etc. if you're into history there's a plethora of options- I love valley forge park. There are also some really great breweries in the area- tired hands being my favorite. If you don't have a car SEPTA trains are easy to get to those places. 

Awesome! I'm visiting my friend who lives in Chinatown area and won't have a car. But plan on checking out some of the touristy stuff like liberty bell, capital , rocky steps etc.  Also plan on doing a lot of eating and drinking so I'll definitely check out that brewery.

3 hours ago, d-rew12 said:

Awesome! I'm visiting my friend who lives in Chinatown area and won't have a car. But plan on checking out some of the touristy stuff like liberty bell, capital , rocky steps etc.  Also plan on doing a lot of eating and drinking so I'll definitely check out that brewery.

If you're going to be in chinatown you'll be decently close to Yards brewery which is pretty cool, and I think also kinda near Monk's Cafe which is a fun beer bar to go to. I agree with nycsurfer, definitely hit up tired hands

As for Austin, I'm sure Broark will tell you about these places too, but Lazarus brewing, Zilker Brewing, and Hops and grain brewing are all on the same street and are pretty fun to hit up and are also near blue owl brewing, and if you can make it out to Jester King I'd definitely recommend it. Some good beer bars to hit up are Pinthouse Pizza (two locations) solid pizza and really good beer, and Hopfields normally has a pretty awesome beer selection too, and a great burger. 

49 minutes ago, d-rew12 said:

^Awesome thanks for the recs! It's starting to sound like I'm going to be doing a lot of drinking haha. 

Haha, I can give more rec's if you want, beer is just the subject I've done the most "research" on. :D

For anyone in London area (or even outside), the owner/creator of Full Count is going to be at the Son of a Stag store on Sunday for a meet & greet

Edited by Niro

You know that feeling when you're wearing sample jeans in a new cut from your favourite brand, the ones you have to take fit pics of, and you go ankle deep in mud?

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG