Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

@Geeman

You know, many of the nurses I work with have husbands who are tradesmen or labourers... They think I dress 'fancy', and don't realise my clothes are based on vintage workwear. I seriously doubt they think I'm misappropriating their workwear. 

I think the irony there may be that folks who earn their keep with labour and physical work usually don't have the inclination to debate the authenticity of how other people are wearing their clothes. At least not where I am from anyway. 

There's a point of cultural difference I want to point out to our American comrades: Perhaps in the US some labourers will wear their Red Wings to work or some farmers their White's Boots on their farm, but here in Australia those two brands are worn pretty much only by well-to-do clothing enthusiasts. I suspect the same applies to other parts of the world too. 

I'm a tradesman and everyone I work with wears jeans and very frequently denim shirts as well. I was burning up denim shirts from welding and I was always wearing super cheap jeans because they'd get holes in them very easily so I decided to research thicker denim which led me to raw denim. I've literally never muttered one word about it to anyone because they would call me crazy for spending the kind of money I do on work clothes. Most tradesman don't care what they wear. They just want to wear something cheap because it will eventually get ruined anyways. I catch comments every now and then about my denim shirt being real thick or my jeans looking like they could stand on their own or I'm wearing skinny jeans (Iron heart 634 in a 34 when I'm normally a 31 so they're anything but skinny). I know I'm rambling but my point is that I'm in a profession that you would think would value hard wearing, quality, ethically/union made clothing but I think I'm the only one wearing any of the brands we discuss on here. 

The building where my work place is located has a few vacancies that are being renovated right now, walls being tore down, floors remade etc. - there's one contractor I met on a few smoke breaks who complimented me on my Sendra boots one time, we talked a bit about cowboy boots and how you have to spend a few hundred € to get decent quality. I've seen that guy come to work in the morning wearing some chinos and Timberland boots, but once he starts doing real work he changes into what every construction worker seems to wear around here, those grey functional overall kind of pants you get at hardware stores and some awful looking (but probably steel toed) nondescript work shoes. This kind of pants:

powerfix-herren-arbeitshose-zoom.jpg

Now I have no idea if that stuff is that much harder wearing than a pair of Iron Hearts or whatever, but that stuff is at least seriously cheap. Like 10% of what a Japan or US made pair of premium jeans would run you. So I get why you wouldn't do "real", hard manual labor in jeans that cost you ten times as much. I mean, I made it a point to wear a "good" pair of jeans when I spent days cutting down an unruly hedge in my garden last year (for the fadezzz), because it's raw raw work wear grunt grunt and all, but with every twig that poked me in the leg I kept checking for damage to my precious Japanese denim... :blush: I know that's not very wabi sabi of me but I'm probably just not rich enough for feeling that way, I guess.

9 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

You could also add, how many guys need a $300 IH flannel? (...) to get me through harsh midwest winters?

Cotton - flannel or not - is a shitty choice for cold protection anyway, especially if you're doing some hard work.

Very true. Is there a vein of workwear revival/repro that uses wool or other materials that are better for windy, wet winter weather? I love my flannels for fall and spring days, and sweatshirts can be a nice mid-layer, but I've found myself turning to my grandfather's old boiled-wool Guernsey sweater and some other fisherman-inspired sweaters for actual cold or for any clammy inclement weather. It surprises me that I haven't seen these kinds of marine-inspired workwear designs among the brands commonly discussed on this forum, since there are so many days and tasks where cotton fares poorly.

Side note: Ended up getting a couple sweaters from a small company called La Paz when I was in Portugal, and those have been wonderful for rainy winter days. They do all their production in Portugal, with materials mostly sourced there as well (especially for wool knits), and seemed like they might be of some interest to the forum.

I like North Sea Clothing for big wool sweaters.

Also, I've been getting ton of mileage from merino undershirts this year. They make it easier to wear cotton as a top layer.

I've been buying Armor Lux for years, and the quality has decreased; it's not as good as NSC. Still, it's a cool brand that has deep roots in French Brittany and a long history supplying generations of pecheurs Bretons.

15 hours ago, JDelage said:

Cotton - flannel or not - is a shitty choice for cold protection anyway, especially if you're doing some hard work.

I disagree. I have an IH UHF flannel and it's so warm I can only wear it when the temps dip below 10 degrees. It's like wearing a blanket

Speaking of chunky wool sweaters I quite like what Andersen-Andersen has been coming up with.
I haven't bought any of them since I'd never get any use out of one here, but they do look nice.

Xpost from IH thread

Here's a 30% off Iron Heart coupon from Rodeo Bros because Rodeo isn't selling IH anymore starting in April:

Dear 

This is Mihara from RODEO BROS.

Thank you very much for shopping on our website.

Did you receive the item you ordered safely?
Also, were you satisfied with the product?

In our shop, for better product development and service improvement,
Also, in order to be helpful for customers who are considering our products from now on,
We ask the customer to fill in the review.

I am sorry to trouble you very much during my busy period,
It is easy and I do not care, so I would be pleased if you could fill in the review.

Indeed we have news,

According to the management policy of Iron Heart Co., Ltd.,

Iron Heart's products finishes the sale on the website in the end of March, 2017.

We can not sell it in Rakuten after April, 2017.

Please order Iron Heart's products as soon as possible.

Please write down your favor or any questions!

Example)
Wearing feeling: just right
Height: 171 - 175 cm
Weight: 60 kg or more
Feet size: 26.5 cm
Purchase size: M

* Select the item (or shop) to write the review from within the purchase history,
Please click the "Write Product Review" button and post a review.

* Review can be posted with nickname or anonymous.

※ This email already reviewed the feedback and opinions on review
For those who gave us the confirmation of the item arrival and "Thank you"
I am sending you with a gratitude feeling.

Based on the voice of everyone at Rodeobros
We strive to provide better products and services on a daily basis.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Benefits! With coupon code presentation 【30% OFF】

<How to use>
Please include the following code in the remarks column.

Coupon code → Wr6yA

30% OFF this item using coupon this time
(Rakuten) http://www.aun-wa.com/sale_efu/
(Official) http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/auc-rodeo/sale_efu/

<Notes>
When ordering, the amount before discount will be displayed, but we will send you an email with the amount corrected later.
Not orderable
Can not be combined with other coupons

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Any Request Product 【We are welcome Internal of our website】

※If you are looking for a product but you can not find our shop,
please feel free to ask for the stock!!

I received the same coupon a few months back after I purchased an iron heart hoody through Rakuten rodeo bros and I emailed them immediately to order a pair of jeans with the 30% off and it doesn't apply to any iron heart products. Rodeo bros told me the coupon code only applies to items in these links:

30% OFF this item using coupon this time
(Rakuten) http://www.aun-wa.com/sale_efu/
(Official) http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/auc-rodeo/sale_efu/

Well, I am having a 6inch bullhide smokejumper made shortly by Bakers.  I know my feet will hurt etc, but I have wanted these boots for almost 10 years and I'm stubborn.  They just look so damn cool and bad ass. 

E44F7170-83CF-426E-9CBC-2B6DE3DD18A3_zps

Edited by mlwdp

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

John Lewis selvedge denim! Game over people :ohmy:

•••••
Japanese denim in a league of its own!
23 March 2017
Japanese denim in a league of its own! I wear Raw Denim because of its hard wearing nature. I can not wait to grow old with these jeans……

That review on John Lewis made me think of a particular episode of The Apprentice where they had to create a marketing campaign for Japanese denim jeans

:blink:
Edited by bod

Ok everyone riddle me this:

I have never soaked my jeans after the initial soak but I see a lot of pairs on this forum with 6+ soaks throughout their useful life. Curious why do additional soaks as opposed to just washing. Is the point to reshrink jeans after they stretch? Is soaking after more wear supposed to bring out more contrast?

5 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

I have never soaked my jeans after the initial soak but I see a lot of pairs on this forum with 6+ soaks throughout their useful life. Curious why do additional soaks as opposed to just washing. Is the point to reshrink jeans after they stretch? Is soaking after more wear supposed to bring out more contrast?

I think the idea is "I really don't want to wash my jeans because of the FADEZ, but these are getting disgustingly dirty. 10 min soak should do the trick!"

6 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

There may be a few reasons why people do this. I was thinking the most common one would be that people want to shrink their jeans a little bit after they've stretched out... I know that some peeps enjoy the crisp/stiff feeling of a fresh pair of jeans, and you can achieve that by soaking them and letting them dry in the sun. They may also feel like they're not dirty enough to toss them in the wash, especially if they're afraid of losing indigo, which can affect higher contrast fadez (this may be because some brands say "don't wash your jeans in the first six months or they're ruined forever"). He'll, I put my unsanforized jeans into a hot machine wash before their first wear.

I've always just thrown my jeans into the washing machine with detergent if I feel like they're filthy. I don't think soaking without detergent will do anything in terms of cleanliness.

Good riddle lol

Edited by propellerbeanie

What I don't understand is that if you are going to go through the effort of filling up your bathtub, submerging your jeans in water for 30 min or longer, and then hang drying them, why not just dump them in the washer with your other laundry? Your jeans will be clean and if you hang dry you still get that crispy feeling. I still don't "get it" 

Hmm, I don't really soak my jeans past the initial soak for shrinkage. The only exception has been that when I stored my Samurai S710s folded up for a while, they draped like crap when I started wearing them again. I gave them a quick soak, and after they dried and I wore them, they looked right. (Usually, I store my jeans on hangers so they don't get flattened out.)

A quick and easy wash? Plus if you're jeans are falling apart, then putting them in the washer might rip those holes open more. Also, I personally wouldn't put them in with my other non-indigo/raw clothes if only out of a paranoid fear of indigo crocking in any capacity (no matter how old the jeans are or how many washes they've already gone through).