Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Very interesting to see the shift over the years. I imagine 5+ years ago we'd all be saying Flathead 3001, Samurai 710, Skull 5010 6x6, Eternal 811, maybe even Dior 19cm (maybe 8+ years ago?!)...

I'm also very happy to see the Ooe love! As such, my list goes:

Ooe 01XX cut: Perfect 40's/50's cut in any given fabric, hits my waist perfectly and I'm very picky about fit. Not to mention detailing, personal touch/love that goes into each pair, and vintage-y fading properties. Perfect jeans with a japanese mentality, super comfortable and high attention to detail

Ooe 02XX cut: same as above but arguably more versatile for differnent outfits/settings given the slimmer cut

Conners M-46 S409XXX: BEST DAMN REPRO EVER, HANDS DOWN. 'nuff said.

Roy RS-00: I don't own a pair, but would order one asap if my size was available. Roy. Black seed custom fabric. 'nuff said.

....And I'm leaving it at that because I can't decide between Resolute 710, Fullcount 1101, or Warehouse 1001...

Edited by aho

I really want Ryo and Hiro to release another XX01 pair of jeans.

Given my recent affinity for straighter legged jeans I think these would be perfect.

Not sure how I didn't put a pair of CSF on the list, I'm particularly drawn to the 46 second half myself.

@nyc, I like the evenness/smooth look of the second half, but the first half is recommended by Konaka-san himself. I would order the first half first if one doesn't own either; the WWII denim is truly special, and as far as 1946 goes, it's cooler to get more WWII details during this "transitionary" phase in my opinion, since it's technically "rarer" historically

I imagine 5+ years ago we'd all be saying Flathead 3001, Samurai 710, Skull 5010 6x6, Eternal 811, maybe even Dior 19cm (maybe 8+ years ago?!)...

Funny you mention that, I really wanted to have a pair from Flat Head on my list, or possibly Eternal. They're doing something special with the extreme saturation of indigo and dense weave, to the point where it's almost a blanket of rich purple after that first soak. It would be a unique, more stark fade compared to the softer vintage style of most of my other choices (and most of the choices in this thread). It's just that they don't offer that classic higher-rise fit with room up top and some taper below. Same with the super slubby companies like Strike Gold or Oni. I love what they're doing on the denim fronts, but fit is paramount if I'm going to be happy pulling on a pair of jeans each day.

Almost all the lists above are heavy on jeans with standard top blocks and higher rises, most of the difference lying in how much taper happens around the knee and below. They're comfortable, super classic fits for most body types. Seems like it might be the fashion nowadays, but really how did we ever decide to wear jeans two sizes too small in the first place?

Almost all the lists above are heavy on jeans with standard top blocks and higher rises, most of the difference lying in how much taper happens around the knee and below. They're comfortable, super classic fits for most body types. Seems like it might be the fashion nowadays, but really how did we ever decide to wear jeans two sizes too small in the first place?

I think most of that crew have either moved on or grown up~~~

^And grew wider. I started off in a size 28 New Cure in 2005, and wear a size 36 in a few Japanese brands these days  :D

Also, shout out to 45rpm! Frequently the brand I recommend for people not interested in denim but who still want the best. It's what I'd wear at least!

Edited by aho

While on the water today, saw a boat called the Real McCoy II. Made me chuckle.

But I am kind of at a good spot in denim where I grabbed most of the pairs I was interested in (Boncoura, Warehouse). So, I can't really think of 5 pairs of jeans but two definite ones I want are

Pherrow's 421

A pair of Connors (probably either '46 or '47)

Some funky Japanese brand whatever that may be.

Edit: It just hit me, but I did want to try a pair of Resolutes! Probably the 710's. 

Edited by d-rew12

Have to agree on CSF (WWII for me) and Roy!

Especially, Roy - this is the pair I wear most right now.

Also, trying to make Boncoura work for me...

Edited by Foxy2

Stevenson 747

Fullcount 0105 (standard)

Iron Heart 9301 (superblack for life)

Real McCoy Lot 002

Kapital TH Zipang

The jeans I would buy again would probably be Warehouse 700 (I would have included Warehouse on the list if I didn't already have a bounty of them!); technically the Iron Hearts I already own, except they were stolen and I have not been able to replace them.

Very interesting to see the shift over the years. I imagine 5+ years ago we'd all be saying Flathead 3001, Samurai 710, Skull 5010 6x6, Eternal 811, maybe even Dior 19cm (maybe 8+ years ago?!)...

This is true. The first few pairs I owned were TFH 1001, Eternal 811, SExSC06; however, the only one of these I have worn appreciably is the SExSC06.

I've since learned that I can wear 30's to 50's 501 cuts for work or dress. Aesthetically, they also agree more with the rest of my wardrobe.

Slim straight and tapered fits lack versatility for me in that they're more fashion than function. If I still worked a desk job, as I did 5+ years ago, I'd definitely be more biased toward fashion with the modernized and ironic workwear look (e.g. slim fit flannel, slim tapered denim, Viberg, etc.). It's nice to have a slim pair going to mix things up but I don't feel the need to experiment with different cuts for the sake of diversity.

Funny you mention that, I really wanted to have a pair from Flat Head on my list, or possibly Eternal. They're doing something special with the extreme saturation of indigo and dense weave, to the point where it's almost a blanket of rich purple after that first soak. It would be a unique, more stark fade compared to the softer vintage style of most of my other choices (and most of the choices in this thread). It's just that they don't offer that classic higher-rise fit with room up top and some taper below. Same with the super slubby companies like Strike Gold or Oni. I love what they're doing on the denim fronts, but fit is paramount if I'm going to be happy pulling on a pair of jeans each day.

you should have jumped on the Fullcount X Signet collab Ed did. Jeans were 15oz and a blend of wild and Zimbabwe cotton and had a super deep indigo dye that was purple after the soak.

My dream pair which could make me happy for a good while would be a mixture of TCB 50's and 60's, 50's denim and details /60's cut, with perhaps 1 cm higher back rise and 1 cm less of hem width to make the cut a bit more versatile. The mixture of 50's denim with a slim-ish cut as the 60's could make for some incredible fades.

other than that I'd love to try FC 0105, WH 1001, Ooe 1 cut. I'd love Sugarcane Okinawa too but the patch and back pocket arcs keep me away from them.

I would be good with something that fit perfect in either pioneer denim or rjb denim. Nothing fh/rjb make fits me great so it's become kind of a white whale for me.

This is exactly me man. 

In 2013? I think I got the sexfhxrjb15 because the RJB denim was so incredible. Was always tight as fuck.

Now I've got my super nice faded 3005, and these 105BSP that also fit perfectly... I know exactly what you mean about the white whale, I still think to myself that it's crazy I finally got these.

what don't you like about the 105? i think they're damn good, and loose enough too. The denim is so crazy comfortable!

But to answer the original question, I think I'd honestly be cool with the 3005, 3009, and the 105BSP for a long long time. I think that once these are faded I'll probably start wearing more non-denim pants actually...

I have a pair of Levis Super Skinny 510s in a light wash that I bought back in 2008, before I ever discovered raw denim. I busted them out a few days this year and really enjoyed wearing them. They still fit exactly as they did back then (when I was twenty years old.) Apparently, my body type never really changes. I'm fine with that.

#1   Ooe Yofukuten 0A02   (perfect fit, great people/company)

#2   Warehouse 1105 LTD  (perfect fit but with zipper and could be a hair longer)

#3   Roy Test Lot 00           (great top block, nice denim, beautifully sewn)

#4   Fullcount 1101            (good fit, very soft and comfortable)

#5   Warehouse 800           (pretty good fit, comfortable, unique 'marbly' denim)

#6   Iron Heart B01 18 oz. RAW  (heavy but comfortable denim, knife pocket! ;-)

1 tender 129 in woad/wattle-dyed denim molleton (it doesn't exist but it should)

2 rising sun blacksmith in fullcount standard 13.7 oz denim

3 sd-103 size 33 but with the 34 waist

4 fullcount 1108 in the standard denim but with the BIG contest jeans' buttons

5 ooe OA01 in the current contest denim

if i'm allowed a sixth pair like JohnM i'd also get the ih beatle busters. it's got the perfect contemporary modern slimmish cut i reckon.

My list:

- SC 40400 (fabric & details...denimhead wet dreams)

- Tender type 131 (he should really make this cut available with other fabric)

- Kapital Century Kakishibu

- Ooe 9101xx

- CSF M-46 S409XXX (paradoxically the perfect reproduction. Got to meet the maker personally which makes it much more special)

Dream pair probably Tender 131 cut with SC 40400 fabric (fusion of SC & Tender details)

O Ok haha, should have scroll back to previous page. Missed it completely.

No wish list currently, quite satisfied with what I have.

I feel you. I'm a fan of wearing jeans and fading them in to at least the year mark. Its tough to do with even 3 pairs in rotation

Hows everyone doing? Anyone have plans for the upcoming holiday?

In other news. Ruedi bought a pair of Tellason's from me and I felt like Eric Clapton was purchasing a Strat from me. I hope he wears them into the heaviest fadings and gives them eternal life.