Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I tried the 727 La Jolla from Stevenson. Neither the waist was the problem nor the thighs. The rise (especially back rise) made them fit so strange. That cut is not for me. I wanted to like them but couldn’t make them work.

Sounds like the 714 would work though, the rise is higher all around too.

What’s your guys take on colored weft?

I have the PBJ X Pronto Collab Rusty/Orange weft 18oz jeans.  I like them, but they are a little gimmicky.  Nice to have as a pair to experiment with, but I probably won't buy another pair of colored weft denim.  I've noticed that they don't match/look as good with certain shoes/boots as compared to a non colored weft jeans.

well looks like I'm back full time on SF.  DB was fun while it lasted but the bouncer at the door won't let me in anymore.  In case anyone was wondering what ever happened to HH over there. (sad denim face) you can find me here.

Edited by Happy Hooligan

^ What happened over at DB?

Hello again!

Hello again!   I don't have a clue what happened.   It's just one person that has an issue with me and what I make. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's a mundane and small detail but I've grown to be borderline obsessed with the rolled back pocket edges on my TFH 3009s. What other brands (outside of RJB) have a similar detail? I find myself fondling them every now and then.

Something I've always wondered about:

What happened to old-school denim fans? You go back deep into brand threads on here and see posts mostly by people who haven't been seen in years. Do these guys no longer wear nice denim, and went back to Levis 511s and Wal-Mart T-shirts or something? Or do they still wear this stuff but just got tired/lost interest in posting? (A sentiment I sometimes feel, having been in this for a long time now myself.)

Recently I've expanded beyond just wearing the same pair of raws every day - I often wear a pair of black Nudies that fit great and probably won't ever fade, and I've also revived a pair of light wash Levis 510 I've had since 2008 and haven't worn in many years, so my status as a raw denim purist is slipping, as well.

I've been here since 2005.. had to register again once or twice after previous-level sufu crashes — I think from about 2008 to 2012 I was busy producing offspring, changing jobs to sustain said offspring, diverting myself by purchasing sneaky vintage effects pedals (what? that old thing?  I've had it for years — years, I tell you), trying to find opportunity to crank said pedals through a sneaky vintage amp (oh that..?  Belongs to a guy from work, uh, like this guitar.  And this one.)

During that time I kept the faith, dutifully obtaining raw or one-wash jeans and wearing them to the ground in sufu-approved fashion even though I basically saw the same half-dozen people every day and they must have thought I was some sort of diurnal time-lapse project (we were in the animation industry).. started out with Nudies, then Imperials (twice), then a succession of Edwins as funds became scarce.. some blank Evisus.. then in 2010, post GFC, I thought to check in here again so I could document my efforts.  Those posts are still here in the XXX gallery thread, but the .mac-hosted images are long gone.

So, also around that time I saw a local forumite (indigo junkie, I believe) was selling some Samurai sv5000x and Okinawas in my size — I had about that much left in my account — so I copped and went back to uni for a year to do a Dip. Ed. (on account of that GFC business).  Those jeans are still going strong in their semi-retirement, having been joined by Sam 710s, SC 47, 66 and Hawaiis,  Momotaro 0201 (x2) and 0901, black MIJ APCs (for.. work, I guess..), Flathead 3005 and 3005z, almost all of which get a decent thrashing as I don't drive anywhere and always seem to be carrying a lot of stuff.  There's also some peripheral pairs from LVC, Kicking Mule.. Nom De Guerre (remember them..?)

So yeah, speaking for myself, old school denim fans don't dye or fade away, just shed our skins periodically and come back rigid.

TBH I also begin to lose interest in posting & reading, there's not that much to discover or share anymore. But after many months of wearing worn in denim I'm wearing what will be my pair for the next half year or so - a spanking new Eternal 811. Still feels good to start something new and to feel how different this denim can feel and look like compared to the Resolute 710 that were my main pair for the last months.

So I doubt I will ever lose interest in wearing raw denim, but the Eternals are the first pair I rebought just because I knew what I was getting. I kinda like the idea of having certain pairs you rebuy whenever you need a new one, and not trying / buying stuff because of curiosity. I'm at this stage with my Whisky collection and it feels good (if only the Prices wouldn't have increased on some bottles over 250%).

On a sidneote - a different Topic but one that causes me some trouble thinking about: What to wear on your wedding? I'm torn between keeping it classic and looking like you would expect from a groom on the one hand and between my love for vintage stuff on the other Hand. Some must have been through this already - what did you do?

Edited by Max Power

Just go with whatever see tells you to wear mate .... I suggested a hawian shirt for our wedding ( we got married on the beach so I thought it was appropriate ) and it was met with a look ( not even a word ) that could literally kill

Edited by Flash

What to wear on your wedding? I'm torn between keeping it classic and looking like you would expect from a groom on the one hand and between my love for vintage stuff on the other Hand. Some must have been through this already - what did you do?

What do you mean vintage stuff? For my wedding last June, I kept it classic with a charcoal gray suit. I'll update with a picture.

Something I've always wondered about:

What happened to old-school denim fans? You go back deep into brand threads on here and see posts mostly by people who haven't been seen in years. Do these guys no longer wear nice denim, and went back to Levis 511s and Wal-Mart T-shirts or something? Or do they still wear this stuff but just got tired/lost interest in posting? (A sentiment I sometimes feel, having been in this for a long time now myself.)

Recently I've expanded beyond just wearing the same pair of raws every day - I often wear a pair of black Nudies that fit great and probably won't ever fade, and I've also revived a pair of light wash Levis 510 I've had since 2008 and haven't worn in many years, so my status as a raw denim purist is slipping, as well.

It's probably a mix. I've been member of other forums for other hobbies/interests and and I still have those hobbies/interests but I either spend less time on them or don't feel a need to make posts on them anymore.

Couple of my old work friends used to buy and wear raw denim, but then they got a family and can't afford to spend such money on clothing

Ssup still here and at it...well alot of new faces around. And stupid brands with stupid marketing shit rising im

Beginning to get tired but again awesome

Brands like csf and boncoura coming strong i feel it again i need to be stoned every night man so good

To answer your question though Kyle, I think that it's most likely just a disinterest in posting. When I first stumbled upon this whole world I was just amazed. i did not know that things of this level existed in this world. I've always loved clothing, and vintage-y designs, so to see it executed so beautifully just blew my mind. 

Extremely high quality technology, or beautifully-made cars, these are things everyone knows about, but nobody ever thinks of clothing. So it really jived with me and I wanted it, and I couldn't justify spending that kind of money without knowing everything and assuaging all my concerns with many questions and a lot of discussion.

At this point though, I've pretty much learned everything I can by posting on forums, and talking to people like Kiya for instance is what's going to give me more insight. Boom, right there my interest in posting has gone way down. Also, brands that are more popular now are ones that I am not interested in at all: boom, even less interest. And I often look at my wardrobe and think "fuck, I've got so much amazing stuff" so I'm less interested in buying new things: boom, do i even have any interest left??

I think it's unlikely that someone who was hardcore into "the game" would go back to buying walmart shit and not thinking twice about how it sucks, or not appreciating all of their old things anymore. But to get less interested in posting, buying fewer things, buying some things that are not up to the quality required before? Absolutely, I'd say it's even probable.

Regarding wedding wear I'm going to wear whatever is appropriate for the venue, if we do beach wedding which is likely it'll be linen if somewhere formal I'll look forward to a nice suit. Denim won't get a look in.