Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Who else is following the hype-press behind Tanuki?

I don't like it.  I want transparency behind the things i spend my money on, primarily food and clothing.  As both a consumer and the owner of a retail store i want to know where my money is going and that the product is in fact what they say it is.  

In this case how could i go spend thousands of dollars on a brand for my stores if i don't know where anything is coming from or who is profiting from the brand?

I've been following the hype on their Instagram for the past week. Was pretty excited by the photos actually.

To be honest I was looking forward to more information on launch... Actually very surprised that industry persons are getting scarce information also.

Welp looks like I am in fact moving to Orange County.  I'm chasing a dream I had since I was in middle/high school and accepted employment at Blizzard as a software developer.  Moving out in August.  I guess on the plus side I'll be close'ish to SELA but the downside is cost of living is so high I won't be able to afford to go :)

Congratulations man! Funny you mention it as I have a friend from Columbus who is also trying to relocate to Southern California, trying to visit her there before she moves and road trip to Chicago cause I've never been to the Midwest. Cost of living in Southern California is definitely higher than that of Ohio, but I think you'll find that it's more affordable several other major metro areas throughout the country, even outside of California.  Wish you the best in your move.

From what I heard, some folks from momotaro/collect are part of the group that started tanuki. Given that they've been in the industry for a while, I'm a bit surprised they aren't transparent with their identities as I imagine it would lend the brand some credibility. That said, they're not the first or only brand to market themselves in this way; Oni, prominently, has been doing it for years. I'm curious--and this is entirely speculative--as to whether the two brands share membership, given their similar marketing strategy and upcoming collaboration. But I'm also curious to hear what you think Ed!

It seems as if Tanuki is trying to capitalize on different aspects of some brands that make them so popular. They're taking the secret denim master thing from Oni, the details with meanings from Samurai, and the tapered low rise cuts of brands like APC. 

I guess that's why I don't really like it as much though. Reminds me of those kickstarter brands that are trying to imitate other companies but ultimately just in it for the cash grab. It's different from CSF where I really feel like the people behind it are truly into making good shit and putting it out because they share in the same values as people who are really into denim.

The Tanuki thing seems strangely manufactured.

No real interest here, but the jeans don't look horrible. Measurements don't look too good though.

I think at this point I'd be more interested in the company if names were named so we really knew who these "masters" actually are.

^ Mmm, look-book uploaded in May, Instagram account began June, the social media and e-mail handled by a native English speaker it would seem. Given all this, the website is surprisingly limited, and the e-mail contact provided had been wrong.

What I'm surprised by is how early the collabs with Oni, Oak Street, etc were planned...the other companies must have had a lot of trust in planning a collab with a brand that hadn't even launch yet. Very strange, yes.

Someone go into Blue Owl to have a look? See if the construction, fabric and hardware are as good in reality as they are in the photos.

I have a feeling Denimio will be stocking Tanuki. Hopefully the straight model will have measurements that is more accommodating.

The models Blue Owl have measure almost like women's jeans!?!?

i mean its a bold move. i liek how they market it very western like. but then again a brand without depth or history i would shy away from it.  for me personally i need to know whos behind it and his vision for the brand and the products.

The Tanuki thing seems strangely manufactured.

No real interest here, but the jeans don't look horrible. Measurements don't look too good though.

I think at this point I'd be more interested in the company if names were named so we really knew who these "masters" actually are.

i mean its a bold move. i liek how they market it very western like. but then again a brand without depth or history i would shy away from it.  for me personally i need to know whos behind it and his vision for the brand and the products.

Yeah basically it feels very much like a western brand rather than the ones we usually buy from. Feels like it's really catering towards the Western market rather than most of the brands that are talked about here, which kind of throws me off.

Kind of similar topic, but did anyone check out the new SDA North American line? Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears BIG either developed it or collaborated with them on it. Not sure exactly how big it is but they were showing it at liberty fairs and posted something on their Instagram. Seems it was developed with western sizing in mind.

Who else is following the hype-press behind Tanuki?

I don't like it.  I want transparency behind the things i spend my money on, primarily food and clothing.  As both a consumer and the owner of a retail store i want to know where my money is going and that the product is in fact what they say it is.  

In this case how could i go spend thousands of dollars on a brand for my stores if i don't know where anything is coming from or who is profiting from the brand?

rolling my eyes so hard it hurts

Here (London branch): http://www.atelierandrepairs.com/pages/repairs

They have a Union Special too.

Thanks! I won't be in London long enough to get anything tapered by them this time around, but will be staying nearby and I'm interested to check them out.

tanuki's have a super low rise; in my size (30) the rise is less than 10in for both cuts... brand may be Japanese based but for sure trying to capitalize on westerners who like low rise jeans

also how is anyone not talking about the red water during the soak, wtf is that?? (am i missing something, if so pardon my ignorance)

pic via denimhound

IMG_0165-1024x553.jpg

Edited by nycsurfer530

so much hate yet no real hands on opinion..

jump to conclusions much?

all because don't like the mystery master denim promotion.

Have to start somewhere other well established brands haven't been in the game that long.

I am gonna go to blue owl on Wednesday and check out the tanuki pairs they have in, and post my thoughts. Hopefully we'll be able to get a better sense about the brand as time goes on.

I am gonna go to blue owl on Wednesday and check out the tanuki pairs they have in, and post my thoughts. Hopefully we'll be able to get a better sense about the brand as time goes on.

definitely interested in hearing about them. If they are associated with the Rampuya company, the quality should be quite high regardless of the weird marketing.

They might bought the fabric from collect and made special edition weaving etc etc. dyeing techniques might be by rampuya . So wheres the master? Id rather masterbate on another brand than this. Get it? Master? 'masturebate?

Thankfully, there are just too many good jeans out now. What makes tanuki special, at all? Nothing, which is why they feel the need to come up with this bullshit gimmick to create a stir.

I will give them that I love how thin the chainstitch hem is, but it would've been better if they started the stitching where the selvedge is rather than on the inside.

I think its made by some westerners in japan trying to be "different" well ita good but nah. Momotaro cuts are weird specially their slim cuts big in the waist small everywhere else anyways imma just masterbate

Thankfully, there are just too many good jeans out now. What makes tanuki special, at all? Nothing, which is why they feel the need to come up with this bullshit gimmick to create a stir.

I will give them that I love how thin the chainstitch hem is, but it would've been better if they started the stitching where the selvedge is rather than on the inside.

This is so true. I don't know what else people could possibly be looking for at this point. There's an incredibly wide spectrum of interesting fabrics and cuts available as it is.