Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I used to not like button fly, it just seemed tedious, but on a nice, broken in pair, the buttons just slide right in.  Buttons are a pain when first wearing a new pair, I've definitely had to use various items to try and stretch the holes about a bit.  No real reason but I just try to stick with button flys now.

Is the "Kickstarter-Raw-Denim-Wave" over or do I just don't notice them anymore?

The only one I am aware of is BDD from Benzak

I think the crowd-funding craze has hit a peak, especially with denim companies. There are a few, and I do mean a few, that might offer something unique, but most of them come off as inexperienced and seem like they're trying to make a pitch for something that seems redundant. The whole 'we're cutting out the middle man' meme is a bunch of crap for a lot of these companies. crowd funding has worked and continues to work for those that started early, so companies like Gustin and Taylor Stitch. I'm at the point now where i'll only buy from established companies. plus, I've already been burned once **cough**Lawless Denim**cough** and have no desire to throw my money away again.

I think the crowd-funding craze has hit a peak, especially with denim companies. There are a few, and I do mean a few, that might offer something unique, but most of them come off as inexperienced and seem like they're trying to make a pitch for something that seems redundant. The whole 'we're cutting out the middle man' meme is a bunch of crap for a lot of these companies. crowd funding has worked and continues to work for those that started early, so companies like Gustin and Taylor Stitch. I'm at the point now where i'll only buy from established companies. plus, I've already been burned once **cough**Lawless Denim**cough** and have no desire to throw my money away again.

Totally agree. Plus they were all offering identikit products. Cone Mill denim, slim cuts, plain pockets. Got very boring.

Is the "Kickstarter-Raw-Denim-Wave" over or do I just don't notice them anymore?

The only one I am aware of is BDD from Benzak

I think the whole mainstream raw/heritage menswear thing is pretty much over. The boots/raws/flannel look went out of fashion a while ago, and the kickstarter brands are now chasing after something else. It's fine with me, there will always be people who love to sell jeans and wear jeans, and they won't be going anywhere.

Totally agree. Plus they were all offering identikit products. Cone Mill denim, slim cuts, plain pockets. Got very boring.

yep. I had to ask myself, how are these kickstarter denim startups offering Cone Mills denim any different than established brands that offer Cone Mills denim? Sure, the price point might be cheaper for some but if there are a dozen denim companies all offering the same thing at what point do you just call it a day? plus, i've found that some newer denim companies, not necessarily kickstarter companies, seem to overdo things with branding. I'm thinking of companies like Civilianaire, who embellish their jeans with those stupid hangtags or those that use zippers instead of button-flies because it's cheaper. Paying $80 for a pair of raw denim is pointless if they look like crap and are made like crap.

I think the whole mainstream raw/heritage menswear thing is pretty much over. The boots/raws/flannel look went out of fashion a while ago, and the kickstarter brands are now chasing after something else. It's fine with me, there will always be people who love to sell jeans and wear jeans, and they won't be going anywhere.

Agreed. I think it's over too with leather goods as well. Far too many people making wallets & belts and very few that offer something unique.

I hadn't heard of Civilianaire but went to their website to see what it was about. Kinda silly that all their selvage denim is valued at $220 but their price is below $60.  Seems they're using that as a selling point as anyone with a brain will know that a brand whose products are actually worth that much would never discount them 75%+, unless I got lucky and just happened to stumble upon the website on a day when they're having some insane sale.

I hadn't heard of Civilianaire but went to their website to see what it was about. Kinda silly that all their selvage denim is valued at $220 but their price is below $60.  Seems they're using that as a selling point as anyone with a brain will know that a brand whose products are actually worth that much would never discount them 75%+, unless I got lucky and just happened to stumble upon the website on a day when they're having some insane sale.

Civillianaire was started by the people who started Lucky jeans. Don't take anything about them seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a question for people. Have any of you found your absolute perfect Jean ? So spot on you could never buy another pair.

I feel that I am constantly searching for that perfect jean. I have pairs which I love but there is always one detail or part of the cut which isn't quite how I like it.

I think a lot had to do with having big quads and liking a smallish hem. I have downsized my quads these days and I am hoping this leads me to finding that perfect jean.

So here's a question for people. Have any of you found your absolute perfect Jean ? So spot on you could never buy another pair.

Sugar Cane sc40300.

Great fabric, excellent make, incredible dye, lots of quirky details, and Lee features.

I feel that I am constantly searching for that perfect jean. I have pairs which I love but there is always one detail or part of the cut which isn't quite how I like it.

I think a lot had to do with having big quads and liking a smallish hem. I have downsized my quads these days and I am hoping this leads me to finding that perfect jean.

I don't think I've ever liked a pair more than the Buzz Rickson 1950s jeans I'm currently wearing. I'd be pretty surprised if I didn't end up buying another pair once these are more heavily worn. 

Edited by jstavrin

I really love my Sugar Cane 1947 for the cut and the way it fits on me plus details like the shape of the back pocket stitching. The denim takes a lot of work to fade but they have become a part of me having been worn for a long time now and they show no signs of falling to pieces anytime soon.

However... next in line are my Warehouse 1001 and they might be the ultimate. The denim is arguably nicer and the cut is a hair slimmer than the '47, with a tad smaller hem. I also like the lower rear rise, as it's a bit high on the SC47 (can be a ''muffin scoop'' when I'm carrying more weight...). The fact that very few other models interest me much at this point could indicate that I've found my perfect jeans...

My WH 800 and UES 400T are pretty much perfect in fit, fabric, construction and Fading abilities to me. But as long as I haven't worn all kinds of brands / models that interest me I wouldn't stick exclusively with one pair. Though I like the idea of someday just sticking with the one pair that I repurchase every 2 years, as there's nothing left to prove.

On a sidenote, I'm glad I got two pairs with little and two with no wear in my closet, as all I'll be paying for the next years will be my car (accident). -_-

Edited by Max Power