Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I think maybe you might be reading too much into the picture with pharrell. It really just seems like a noteworthy and wild moment when a very well known person walks randomly into your newly opened store in Mexico. I don't even think Pharrell was wearing anything you can buy at self edge. 

I'm sure he's just saying that in his songs pharrell plagiarized another artist ...

But I agree, not sure why IH123 is feeling so crazy abuut this...

sorry Ben, I was thinking he was talking bout Clothing/Fashion/JP Denims not music...I was confused and never thinking about here is the place to talk about who makes fake music in music industry...

i can't agree your points...

1.First of all, Pharrell will 100% enhance the image of Self Edge (I suggest Kiya should post "Pharrell Shopping In SE" photo in internet if you get a chance). We don't really need to talk about "Japanese Denims" which just cost 200~ 300USD per pair. When Pharrell and G Dragon wears Lewis Leathers in public, the sale just double up in very a few months and keep on growing up in this year. I heard Drake just open up a OVO shop next to SE, if Drake gives a shout out to SE, that would be great as well! When a guy put all his life and money in opening shop(s) in his country(countries) and swear themselves to promote JP Denims for life, what they want is to make more local people know what they are doing... That is also a sign that Kiya makes JP Denims more mainstreamed in his areas and make more people understand what the "JP STANDARD QUALITY STUFFS" ARE so even Pharrell and Levine wanna pay for SE (Even they can get so many free stuffs from big brands)

2.I just dont understand why you claimed Pharrell is(or was?) plagiarist? Just because as you think, he is a pop singer/rapper who couldn't wear 5 pocket jp denims or any other reason? The 5 Pockets Denim design was created for workers (I dont need to explain more about that in SF, right?) The pure design was for miners/cowboys 100 years ago? If Pharrell is a plagiarist, I guess John Lennon was , why he dressed himself up as a worker? And I guess, we are all fakes as well, I questioned myself now: Why i wear a pair of hiking boots today? Do I really wanna hike in the mountain? Why I just wear a triple stitched collar plain tee ? That design in 1960s was called Gym fit Underwear and nobody will wear it in public, am i ready to go to sleep soon or do I like to practise some kickings in next minute? And I also consider maybe I should give away my leather rider jackets to someone else who do really ride a motorbike daily cuz i do only take trains to work and i didnt even learn how to ride a bike or even drive a car... I recognised myself as "FAKESET MF IN THE WORLD NOW!!!!"

3.Slim Tapered is not so bad (or even one of the best choices) for most of Western customers, It is OK if you are not into ST fit,everyone has different feelings/views for the cuts. someone has very skinny leg/big belly and big hip, they won't look great in loose fit .so that is why some people choose Slim Tapered fit for a reason ,please ACCEPT OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS WITH YOU

#RESPECT

I don't know who you are or where you come from but you are a master of comprehension and respectable arguments.

i'm not at all crazy or unhappy about this topic, it just so happened that several people responded (including asking for me to elaborate) and i replied; i think some of you are reacting to things i never said

in regards to pharrell being a plagiarist, i was referring the multi-million dollar lawsuit he lost to marvin gaye's family (adsevil you can go ahead and explain how this would not be relevant to his image if you want)

i'm kind of baffled how pointing out that SE has the ST cut in many different types of denim (and implying this could be part of a "trend") means i'm not accepting of people who have different opinions; so you know, i completely respect people's different opinions (and their different styles and their different sized asses/thighs)--especially when they're stated in a clear and calm manner....i'm also baffled how my comments on pharrell somehow implied kiya is a "bad person" (in fact i said SE was still a good shop that i go to)....apparently i touched a nerve with some of you, which actually wasn't my intent at all

Hey guys, I figured i should ask my international denim brethren for some recommendations (things to do, places to eat and drink, cool stores) for my trip in the coming days to the following locations: Amsterdam, Milan, Barcelona, and Brussels.

Thanks much in advance!

Besides all cultural stuff that can be recommended in Barcelona we felt the best Food was to be had in the Restaurant L'Olive (www.restaurantlolive.com). It lies a bit off the Center but the wine and Food were the best in a City graced with good food.

Must sees are of course all the Gaudi buildings and the beach area. For some Inspiration you might want to have a look at my DWC entries (Page 60 ff., can't insert the link somehow).

In Amsterdam Tenue de Nimes is a must see. Can't recall Food & Drinks as it's been too Long, but you have plenty of choices there.

Same goes for Milan. Not sure how easy it is to get tickets for the Scala, but you should definitely try.

Barcelona;

I really love this restaurant, very busy at obvious lunch/dinner times. Its open all day so go in when less busy. It’s a must to sit at the bar in the front to get the full experience.

Cerveseria Catalana

Carrer de Mallorca, 236, 08008 Barcelona, Spain

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d782944-Reviews-Cerveceria_Catalana-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

If you’re into beer Barcelona has an ok little scene, these 3 are all within walking distance of each other;

Mikkeller Bar

https://www.facebook.com/mikkellerbarbarcelona

Brewdog

Carrer de Casanova, 69, 08011 Barcelona, Spain

Biercab- this was the best bar I went in.

biercab.com

Amsterdam

I thought this restaurant was really fun;

Mossel & Gin

mosselengin.nl

Also take the boat over to Hallen (boats free) on a weekend as there’s always things going on.

The whole city has great beer.

Guys thanks so much for the recommendations.Given the volume of waywt travel pics, I was hoping you would respond Max. Can't wait. If you think you may run into me, I'll be the dude rocking the sugarcane Okinawas.

The thing with Barcelona is, that there's plenty of choice regarding Food, but it took us a while to sort out the tourist traps from the real stuff. The big grocery market is worth a visit nevertheless. There's also a lot of great choclate stores, like Chök. I was bringing a lot of stuff from them.

Tickets if you can get a table. Haven't been but I've heard that the same people's Japanese-Peruvian fusion restaurant Pakta is also very good. Bar Brutal for all your natural wine needs.

Edit: That was all Barcelona.

Edited by mandel9000

Amsterdam

Go visit Nine streets for a stroll thru some intresting cool shop ,albert cuyp market for local snacks and i would rec Bakers & Roasters for coffee and brunch  Address: Eerste Jacob van Campenstraat 54, 1072 BH Amsterdam 

Zipper vs Button

I’m pretty sure most of you prefer the button fly for the more rugged and authentic look.

With my Warehouse 1105 I have a zipper fly (also authentically correct for the 505) and while I love the ease and speed to close the pants, I tend to forget to close zipper. That never happens to me with jeans which have a button fly.

How many of you guys wear a pair with zipper at all?

MIlan:

I'm not from Milan and don't know much about restaurants and bars. for the shops you should visit Eral55. they should have in house already some special collab pairs with SDA and Orgueil.

Zipper vs Button

I’m pretty sure most of you prefer the button fly for the more rugged and authentic look.

With my Warehouse 1105 I have a zipper fly (also authentically correct for the 505) and while I love the ease and speed to close the pants, I tend to forget to close zipper. That never happens to me with jeans which have a button fly.

button fly, hands down. Before I knew anything about raw denim it was zippers all the way, but now I can't imagine owning a pair of denim with them. It's weird. I've wanted to try the Lee 101 stuff because the denim looks decent, but most of their releases have the dreaded zipper fly which completely ruins it for me.

I've actually been using button flys for a really long time.  Even prior to wearing raws.  My favorite pair of jeans in high school were a pair of Express jeans with a button fly.  I never really used the method of unzipping my fly and using my underwear fly to piss so it never really saved me any time having it.  In fact I find the button fly easier and more reliable to go to the bathroom than the zip fly.  And anymore it takes no time at all to button my pants.  Occasionally with zip flys my boxers would get stuck in the zipper and once that happens all the time savings of the zipper are gone having to wrestle the cloth out for a minute.

Occasionally with zip flys my boxers would get stuck in the zipper and once that happens all the time savings of the zipper are gone having to wrestle the cloth out for a minute.

45464f72-e3d4-5542.JPG

be grateful you don't get your nads caught in the zipper, franks and beans style

Zipper vs Button

I find myself forgetting to zip up too. Thankfully no embarrassing moments because of it!  Probably happens to you for the same reason it happens to me, we wear button fly 95% of the time and we are used to buttoning up from bottom to top, so when the waist band is buttoned we're done.  With zip fly jeans we button the waist band and we're "done" and forget to zip up.

If a zip is historically correct, like on a 101Z, 551ZXX, or 505, I have no issue with it. But generally prefer button fly, especially on jeans that shrink a lot.  

For Amsterdam both tenue de nimes stores and like someone said before the area around "9 straatjes" is nice. For food there is de burgermeester a few shops after tdn with some pretty nice burgers.

Four in de pc hoofdstraat used to have some good denim and stuff as well, don't know if they still do. Because they mostly stock high end stuff like the rest of the shops in that street.

I haven't worn a pair of jeans with zippers in years, but I think they wouldn't last as long as a button fly so I would prefer a button fly

Edited by greathoudini