Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I'm also not a fan of talking about "getting it" vs. not... just because someone hears all the reasons why it's expensive, and then decides that it's either not worth the money or they just don't like it or care, doesn't mean they don't "get it"... Imo using that phrase is pretentious as fuck.

I don't see how that is too dissimilar to any community. Especially one where exposure is based upon consensus. [note: I'm assuming Instagram bubbles stuff up via some like/share mechanism] Being into a brand like RgT is a definitively "hipster" [note2: I hate that term] thing to be into and common hobbies for that culture is being into photography, coffee, food, boots, Americana ... It just sounds like RgT sub culture has decided on their group consensus for whats best and people just jerk around that. But that attitude isn't unique to RgT or anything because you see the same shit on Reddit (J Crew + SLUBZZZ + Red Wings), here, sneaker forums, steetwear forums ... I mean it just happens.

Have you seen the rgt pod boys on instagram? They look the same, their filters are the same, their comments are the same, everything is the exact same.

I have not.  Like I said I don't believe I've ever gone to instagram unless it was directly linked.  But I will say I find the pod thing pretty dumb and they do it over at MFA as well.  Bonus points for extra stupid if you show your outfit deconstructed and neatly folded on the floor.

I have not. Like I said I don't believe I've ever gone to instagram unless it was directly linked. But I will say I find the pod thing pretty dumb and they do it over at MFA as well. Bonus points for extra stupid if you show your outfit deconstructed and neatly folded on the floor.

Guilty of the deconstructed outfit thing a few days ago on WAYFT

Edited by cmboland

The part about asking about brands was the part I found ridiculous, just by what it is based on. It was some dude from Calgary he was pretty much calling out. But agree with Ben, just trys to hard.

Also dwilson I wouldn't have an opiniom on rgt if I didn't go on instagram. But it's so stupid there is a group of people that all dress the exact same, all wear the same boots, all like photography, all like abandoned areas, and all pose the exact same. It's seriously retarded.

I completely agree with what you said about the dude in the video and the cult of RGT on insta, that being said making light of mental disability is where i disagree. I work with people with cognitive disabilities and it's disrespectful. Not trying to be a PC bro, simply stating that something can be "silly", "lame", stupid even rather than retarded which just further stigmatizes people with mental illness or disabilities.

Anyways all love to the SuFu fam happy holidays and all 

Edited by Rightyow77

That whole video was just weird. And I agree that the whole Instagram Rogue Territory cult following is...interesting.

I get most of the points he was trying to convey, but maybe it's the way he was going about it? It felt very flippant towards possible new business or customers. Like there needs to be this rigid unwritten social agreement when you walk into his store that you won't violate his rules. I wouldn't want to feel like that walking into a place that's supposed to be comfortable and welcoming.

Most of what he was saying seems like common sense stuff. But not everybody has that unfortunately.

I didn't watch that particular video but I've seen some of the other ones and they didn't feel authentic to me.  But, different people want different things so I just moved on. 

I used to use the term, "I just don't get it" a lot but people confused it for "I don't understand" which is not what I meant.  So I've switched to "it's not for me," or "I'm looking for something else in X."  

"Looking for something different" has been a pretty good way to defuse the conversation about how much I spend on jeans vs how much other people do.  

I stopped following this clique of SOP groupees on instagram when I saw them cutting the hem of their jeans 3/4 of the way up their legs...

Having said that, A) I do have a very nice RGT pop over shirt and B The redwing lineman boots they all wear are nice boots.

Does this make me a RGT/SOP hipster? ?

Edited by Geeman

Hmm yeah not for me personally, there are a ton of shops out there that are more genuine that don't give me the heeby jeebies from trying so hard to front. Kind of uncomfortable to watch honestly, but wish them the best! They've struck a core with some people so props to them on that.

SOP is Ben's store, so he can run it as he wants.  But I don't like all the 'don'ts' -- "Don't ask about sales, discounts, or brands we don't sell."  Some stores do sales, some don't.  Customers don't know which are which unless they ask.  And no one wants to pay full price and then find out the sale started a week after they made a purchase.

And then the point about brands we don't sell.  Ben emphasizes that it's important for sales staff to have product knowledge.  Well, if someone really has product knowledge, they are likely to have a little industry knowledge and familiarity with other, similar products.  That's a good thing.  I love buying from a salesperson who knows not only his own stuff but is familiar with what I walk in wearing.  Makes for a better experience -- more interesting, more human.  If I've got the store owner looking over the employee's shoulder suggesting what's off limits for conversation, not good.

I actually used to work with Ben when he lived in Atlanta. I can safely say that almost ALL of this is stemmed from the nightmare customers we used to have at our previous retail jobs. We dealt with the worst of the worst, especially coming in to get our expert knowledge on men's footwear and then running home to Zappos to save $15, thus taking money out of our pockets. 

He's a character but I can tell you that this is Ben 100%, he's a fucking weirdo but he'd be that way whether the camera was rolling or not. He always talked about opening a shop and I am super stoked that he went out west and is knocking it out of the park. 

But on the flip, I can't stand the RGT/Made in USA fan boys that flock to his shop. I can't blame him for catering to them, because it seems they will buy whatever he says is cool. But jesus christ, they all dress the same. We have a store similar in Atlanta and while I want to support them, it's very obvious they just found out about denim within the past year. 

I actually used to work with Ben when he lived in Atlanta. I can safely say that almost ALL of this is stemmed from the nightmare customers we used to have at our previous retail jobs. We dealt with the worst of the worst, especially coming in to get our expert knowledge on men's footwear and then running home to Zappos to save $15, thus taking money out of our pockets.

He's a character but I can tell you that this is Ben 100%, he's a fucking weirdo but he'd be that way whether the camera was rolling or not. He always talked about opening a shop and I am super stoked that he went out west and is knocking it out of the park.

But on the flip, I can't stand the RGT/Made in USA fan boys that flock to his shop. I can't blame him for catering to them, because it seems they will buy whatever he says is cool. But jesus christ, they all dress the same. We have a store similar in Atlanta and while I want to support them, it's very obvious they just found out about denim within the past year.

Those fan boys are seeming to be all about FH3002 now as well. That's cool! Break the monotony a bit

I had no idea there even were Rogue Territory fanboys, or that they all wear the same thing (well, any more than the guys on here do?) But I don't use Instagram at all, or read anything on that awful MFA reddit forum, ugh.

I got a Fair Isle sweater, scarf and plan gray zip-up hoodie from JCrew, a gray pair of PF Flyers hi-tops, a bunch of books, and from my girlfriend and her family, some Legos, phone accessories, and guitar maintenance stuff!

I had no idea there even were Rogue Territory fanboys, or that they all wear the same thing (well, any more than the guys on here do?) But I don't use Instagram at all, or read anything on that awful MFA reddit forum, ugh.

I got a Fair Isle sweater, scarf and plan gray zip-up hoodie from JCrew, a gray pair of PF Flyers hi-tops, a bunch of books, and from my girlfriend and her family, some Legos, phone accessories, and guitar maintenance stuff!

Ha, sounds like my Christmas - but I'm swapping out the PF flyers for the USA ones, all the books were comics, and the J Crew stuff was a few Wallace and Barnes flannels. Missed the Legos this year :'(

Which store, Chrome Yellow?

I would guess so... I like Chrome Yellow though, even though they don't have a huge selection of items yet. The next time I buy 3Sixteen stuff I'll try to do it through them.

The USA PF Flyers are nice, but I prefer the design of the Center Hi shoes a little bit more. These are a great value though, they look and feel way more expensive than they cost and are terrific quality.

I have not.  Like I said I don't believe I've ever gone to instagram unless it was directly linked.  But I will say I find the pod thing pretty dumb and they do it over at MFA as well.  Bonus points for extra stupid if you show your outfit deconstructed and neatly folded on the floor.

i find that so strange especially if they button up their shirts and tie their ties like who has time for that but i do think it is a slightly creative way to show all the elements of an outfit

Yes. Great coffee, just a boring selection in the store (my opinion). Although I would like to grab a 3Sixteen tee from them at some point. 

picked up a black 3:16 pocket tee at Nifty-Do when i was in Vancouver super nice tee picks up lint like crazy (usually only when i sleep in it...)

Edited by FreeCharlesManson

it's interesting to read people's experiences re: actually wearing and rotating jeans. i guess i'm in the minority and just buy/wear the one pair until they become realistically unwearable due to whatever reason. consequently, i usually only buy a pair every 2-3 years.

samurai 710 (2009-2011, i got the dumb idea to size up and they were always too big on me. ended up giving to a friend).

momotaro 0701 (2011-2014, retired due to weight gain + continual crotch blowouts).

eternal 883 (bought early 2014, still going).

i'd like to try a pair of sda or ooe, but honestly the 883 is pretty perfect to me and i'll probably just replace them when the time is ready - especially since my 'obsession' with details and fashion/clothing in general has definitely dwindled (living in a small australian city and being unable to handle or try things on has contributed to this a huge amount).

Edited by conqueror

^Honestly, your model is what I strive for... but alas, I have four pairs in rotation right now.

Unrelated note, went digging through my records today to find something for a friend and came across this:

image.jpg

Can't believe this was my introduction to Motown... still not a bad tracklist! Maybe it was, subconsciously, my introduction to selvedge denim.. better that than platform shoes at least.

With the new year ahead - what are you looking forward to?  Can be Denim-/Clothing-related (any special project or purchase that you plan) and also private, if you mind sharing?

For me it's a couple of things: Actually I'm really looking forward to see what I can get out of my WH 800 in the DWC but I'm also super curious to wear the Resolutes in summer. There's a weird fascination about them, as they lack everything I normally would go for. But it might be like that one girl that is totally different from your usual crush and gets through to you.

I hope to finally meet b_f and Flash.

And I hope to be able to travel a lot and get more tattoos, although that contradicts my usual plan to calm down and find some relaxation, also to solve some persisting health issues.

Have a great 2016 y'all and remember those that are not as well of as we are, in your thoughts and actions.

Edited by Max Power

I hope to move into a nicer house with a bigger yard (though that may be for 2017) and things look good to get promoted again at work.  If I get those two things I'll consider 2016 an overwhelming success.

I guess I'm old and boring

Well spoken Flo, that last part is so essential. 

The biggest denim related plan I'm looking forward to is a 3 week trip to Japan next summer. We'll be traveling quite a bit, hopefully I can say hello to Inoue and his TCB boys. There's also plans for a roadtrip to beer breweries in Belgium during spring, depending on the schedule it would be a lot of fun to make a stop in Hamburg.

Clothingwise I'm curious to see how Aho's plans for another Ooe contest takes shape. A little research on Ooe was what got me here in the first place and it would be fun to break in a pair as a part of the community, not only because of Ryo and Hiro's fantastic work.

I also hope I get settled in properly in Gothenburg, I'm tired of moving around.

Edited by Bobbo