Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

back to toys mccoy... that's what i meant when saying too much prints etc.. reminds me a lot of cheap fashion stuff a la "denim and supply", "rocker" and what not...

although i like the brand itself, most of their pieces look downright cheap, although it all has an outstanding quality.

90485728.jpg?cmsp_timestamp=201509041900

sd5441s.jpg

SDA does the same thing where less would be more.  Which is why BiG usually collaborates with them to remove all that crap for their import models.

But as for Toys/Buzz I personally wouldn't buy anything with military branding.  It isn't military issued, I was never in the military so it would just feel strange to buy a "USN" branded deck coat that was made in Japan.  But I also understand some people like the look.  It just is not for me.

Edited by dwilson123

i get the point, and in terms of discussions this is kind of an evergreen.... military pieces or reproductions have been part of pop culture since always.... just look at the dozens of images of bygone hollywood actors a la mcqueen and newman etc

edit: ..... who actually wore their military jackets etc. in public and not exclusively to the film set

Edited by Blue Nemo

mafioso style leather jacket, terrible if you ask me. and probably I can buy another nice old Volvo 240 with the money it costs!

Uniqlo socks for life. Perfect weight and I like the colours.

you've seen the FC crisp denim M-65?

thought that was kewl!

Uniqlo socks are great, always stock up when I'm in BKK for some reason they seem to have better colours than the UK ones.

Looks like a Russian mob hitmans coat

The FC M65 is actually quite nice, saw it at Pronto Carnival, may have a pic somewhere

You're right on point with that stuff looking just like medium expensive mall brand crap, like stuff (if you excuse my specifically German example) Dieter Bohlen wears on TV all the time. "Camp David" or whatever it's called? Anyways, not for me, I never understood why you'd want to wear clothes with not just the brand name plastered all over it, but also generic blurbs that don't make any sense whatsoever in most cases. I think it all started to go wrong with those "Diesel Only The Brave Diesel" shirts in the early 90s ;)

And I think that repro military jackets etc. should at least come in "stencil optional" - it's different if it's your (or your grandpa's) N-1 but I'd just feel silly with "US Navy" on my back (and I'd also be afraid of getting beat up by actual sailors :D)

I live very close to a USAF museum that has a huge collection of WW2 bomber jackets and the artwork on them is absolutely beautiful.  I can understand why people would fall in love with the style.  Like I said it just isn't for me.

'Hope I'm in the [right] thread this time ... @beaver @psycfunk ;) ;)

I think Stance is pretty fun lifestyle socks, for the money, as well. Current fave design is the blue/red with concentric white dashes, w/c are hand-dyed indigo__ dunno if the indigo will bleed into the whites once I wash, tho 😬

Recently added:

B044A443-A460-4A12-BFF8-81E384BD2AC5.jpg

SockTalk: [These] to go with your hXc boot collection.

Fall/Winter is normally about solids & dark tones, for me__ I try to keep colors & shapes hidden [like an afterthought ]__ only to blurt out [just a hint] going through the motions ... like crossing a leg or striking a #CaptainMorgan pose or walking [slowmotion] @the park ;) ;)

Stance2EAEC08F-A6E4-4106-9561-11A77F0C4558.jpg

... & for that more extreme condition, SmartWool3F3ABED6-3420-4541-AB29-75AD357ECAE8.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Yeah, those Toys McCoy and SDA shirts just scream "Awful mall clothes for teenagers." Flat Head is guilty of this as well, particularly the Hard Bird stuff (which looks about ten times cheaper than it actually is.) I don't get it at all.

Samurai does something like that too:

sj-mcwt15-hc-09.jpg

I'd wear that shirt in a heartbeat if it wasn't for those applications. That stuff seems to emulate some kind of racing aesthetic, which I get a tiny bit more than random catch phrases, but it's still ugly.

I don't think it looks too bad on the whole in that guy's outfit.  The aesthetic doesn't work for me since I go more for the cleaner "casual Friday" look if you will.  But I think if you go all-in on styling around the grease monkey look it can work out, like the above pic.

I think designs on shirts ... even on jackets & jeans, are more of a "culture" thing/taste/style than anything else. Brands, like "SuperDry" tried to [export] the style concept on a wider scale, but as with everything else foreign__ sometimes, [things] get lost in the translation.

Here in the western world, we don't need to be hXc on 1 thing. We pick & choose & incorporate to express our own taste & style__ FREEstyle 👊ðŸ¼

Edited by BrownMetallic

SuperDry is British. They did a fantastic job of mass marketing/ripping off the cheesy American-inspired Japanese look and made a lot of money. It's now a listed company on the London Stock Exchange. 2 white guys. I think even most Japanese people are fooled by it.

I like the leather M-65 but don't think I'd buy it.

Most of my socks are from Burlington or Marks and Spencer. I've bought Happy Socks on a few occasions but have invariably been disappointed, so no more.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

My reflection is that it's incredible how about 95% of chainstitched hems look like complete shit.

It seems like there's some brainwashing going on... people go out of their way to get the chainstitched hem because they argue the roping looks better and it's more authentic, yet they settle for a super thick hem that looks just as bad as lockstitched hems.