Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I'm entering a "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" phase with most of my clothes. Would still like some engineer boots though... 

In music: I have a lot of stuff I like, but lately it's been Gene Autry cowboy classics, old Metallica, and the new Iron Maiden and Megadeth.

Edited by Iron Horse

I have another opinion: seems like my interest in denim is diminishing for a while now. I've tried most brands / cuts I like, there's not much innovation or new stuff going on and I know how most pairs will turn out faded. When I started 7 years ago there was a lot of curiosity even regarding the bigger brands, but now we all can get our stuff with ease from japan, to cheap prices, sold by english speaking sellers or at the local shop in our town.

Not sure where this will lead for me, maybe there'll be a time when it gets interesting again, but I find myself not reading or posting that much anymore. Contests and World Tours sadly are a bit overdone by now as well.

(I write this in a bad mood, though haha).

At some point, no matter how much you like something, everything gets old.

You bring up an interesting point, about curiosity.  I think a big part of the male shopping experience is the research into a product.  You may not wind up buying a product, but the investigation into it and competing products is part of the experience, and quite possibly the most enjoyable part of it.  We like the pursuit better than the attainment.  So, when you've got guys who've been here three to eight years, there's not much to research or pursue anymore.      

At some point, no matter how much you like something, everything gets old.

You bring up an interesting point, about curiosity.  I think a big part of the male shopping experience is the research into a product.  You may not wind up buying a product, but the investigation into it and competing products is part of the experience, and quite possibly the most enjoyable part of it.  We like the pursuit better than the attainment.  So, when you've got guys who've been here three to eight years, there's not much to research or pursue anymore.      

I agree with this. I purchased my first pair of raw denim a little over 3 years ago and at this point. I'm really looking into what i already know and love instead of searching and researching for something and how it fades and whatnot like i would do 2 years ago.

This is interesting around not being so excited by denim these days.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I got into it as a youngster when I had a bit more disposable income and copped a few pieces which are now hard to come by (result!). But then normal life got in the way of my obsession so I had less time to spend perusing the webs and spent more time on my career, chicks, drinking, music, etc. Those combined with a few pretty shitty life events just meant I didn't have time to obsess. I spent a few years wearing LVC as it was easily accessible and pretty much ignored what was happening further afield. Now life has calmed down a lot and I can spend time & energy on looking for denim, and I'm loving it!

I also think technology has helped alot. It used to be that if I wanted to do some denim research I'd have to fire up a laptop or even worse, a PC. Now I can just peruse on my phone.

Anyway, apologies for the mini-autobiography - just my two cents.

Edit: on music - going to see Orange Goblin tomorrow night. Cannot bloody wait - if you haven't seen them YouTube a live performance - fucking nutters!

Man, you are always seeing the band's I want to see... Need Orange Goblin to do another NA tour. But I wasn't really to find of their newer album, just didn't sound like the Orange Goblin I knew when I was younger

But on a music tangent I have pretty much been listening to early Black Sabbath exclusively for the last year or so.

So Billy reccomend some stuff that I should check out.

Edited by bradl

I wouldn't say my interest is fading but since I stopped going to reddit's rawdenim sub so often I've had less of an itch to constantly buy new pairs.  It isn't a feeling I've had for a while where I'm not constantly inspecting my jeans for fades and I just put them on and go about my life and take them off and throw them on the ground until tomorrow.  Seeing so many new pickups on reddit it was hard for me to not try and buy every brand and every fit.  But I really like my Flat Heads and I'll just wear them until they're dead then probably pick up another pair of Strike Golds.

Hey Brad, listening to Sabbath exclusively is no bad thing mate. Hopefully they'll swing by your way for next years final tour. I'm banking on them closing in Birmingham. I'm not convinced it will be the end proper, it'll just be the end until they reform again!

Know what you mean about the last OG album - I like Heavy Lies the Crown & The Devils Whip (blatant Motörhead influence) but it's not like the old desert / stoner rock sounding stuff.

At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Midnight, Satan's Satyrs & Asomvel. Asomvel are basically a poor man's Motörhead from the North of England - just my style!!

Why not go on another tangent? What music is everyone into right now? I've got two in particular:

Maxima Meija, from Ecuador, a fantastic musician I was introduced to recently:

and Amara Touré, who recorded a total of 10 songs between 1973 and 1980, rather inventive Cuban-influenced African jazz: https://analogafrica.bandcamp.com/album/amara-toure-1973-1980- I recommend track 6 particularly.

I'm looking forward to seeing others' recommendations!

Nice stuff mate, I am big time into world music. I am a musician and researcher and my main thing is music from my area and Irish music as well but I do love traditional and world music from everywhere.

from what you like I think you would dig to listen Caetano Veloso's Fina Estampa, check it out if you don't know it. It was released in the late 80's early 90's IIRC, a masterpiece of an album with flamboyant orchestral arrangements by Jacques Morelenbaum. Caetano sing's his version of some of the classic latin american songs of the 30's and 40's.

That Amara Tourè stuff sounds rather reminiscent of Orchestra Baobab a legendary band from Senegal that you should really look more into, if you don't know them already. Pirate's Choice is their best album although also the first album they released aqfter their reunion in the ealry 200's it's very good. I saw them twice live, legendary band!

here's a nice documentary about them which was released just before their reunion in the early 2000's

Edited by volvo240thebest

Hey Brad, listening to Sabbath exclusively is no bad thing mate. Hopefully they'll swing by your way for next years final tour. I'm banking on them closing in Birmingham. I'm not convinced it will be the end proper, it'll just be the end until they reform again!

Know what you mean about the last OG album - I like Heavy Lies the Crown & The Devils Whip (blatant Motörhead influence) but it's not like the old desert / stoner rock sounding stuff.

At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Midnight, Satan's Satyrs & Asomvel. Asomvel are basically a poor man's Motörhead from the North of England - just my style!!

Definitely don't hear me complaining that's for sure. Seen them last year on their tour and it was amazing, they will be here sometime February and there's no way I'll miss it.

Time travelling blues, frequencies from planet ten were awesome. Really liked theiving from the house of God. But I can understand why they have changed a wee bit.

Excellent, going to check those out. Appreciate it.

Nice stuff mate, I am big time into world music. I am a musician and researcher and my main thing is music from my area and Irish music as well but I do love traditional and world music from everywhere.

from what you like I think you would dig to listen Caetano Veloso's Fina Estampa, check it out if you don't know it. It was released in the late 80's early 90's IIRC, a masterpiece of an album with flamboyant orchestral arrangements by Jacques Morelenbaum. Caetano sing's his version of some of the classic latin american songs of the 30's and 40's.

That Amara Tourè stuff sounds rather reminiscent of Orchestra Baobab a legendary band from Senegal that you should really look more into, if you don't know them already. Pirate's Choice is their best album although also the first album they released aqfter their reunion in the ealry 200's it's very good. I saw them twice live, legendary band!

here's a nice documentary about them which was released just before their reunion in the early 2000's

Wooww volvo this Orchestra Baobab album (Pirate's Choice) is amazing! Thank you! For a counter-recommendation: Joe Mensah's The Afrikan Hustle is similar, mellow, with beautiful harmonies and instrumentation (mellow, save for the wild opening track Bonsue!).

What sort of music do you mean when you talk about music from your area? From what I've gathered in the TCB thread seems you are in a chamber music group, and have recently put out a solo album as well... too cool brother! I'd love to hear whatever you are up to sharing!

Edited by chicote

On the denim front, I've never been a collector really. I usually have 2 or 3 pairs of jeans that I wear for different occasions, including a main pair I wear almost all of the time, but the constant purchasing is for the birds and is ultimately counter productive to actually enjoying your stuff. Same rules apply everywhere for me, on my PS4 I buy a game, play it, get rid of it and buy another.

As I get older I find it more important to funnel any disposable income into family time, holidays, day trips, meals out etc...

Musically I'm an old metal head at heart, I have dabbled in rap, British indie and American alternative but I usually find myself listening to Slayer, Anthrax  or even something softer like GnR. I find that Poison are a great band to get drunk listening to.

I'm just pumped on Glassjaw's new single

On the denim front

We've just completed a 16 month tour of the 3sixteen+ 21bsp jeans! They have approx 12 months wear on them and have traveled all around North America. They should be heading back to Andrew over the next few days and hopefully we can show them to you all! I'm happy about it because often I see people put down the 18oz denim on the 11 and 21 BSP jeans as being "Boring" when they are truly far from. That is hands down my favorite fabric above 15oz and I'm grateful the project survived 16 months.

Edited by cmboland

Those are the people who found Slayer from Guitar Hero. 

But I find Toms "softer" vocals on South of Heaven and even Seasons of the Abyss, along with Show No Mercy to be their best work by far.

(Not sure why it's typing in italics...)

Mega, I am sure you have but if not check out early Testament, The Legacy, New World Order (outstanding album), Practice What You Preach, and Souls of Black. First two are legendary thrash.

Edited by bradl

^At the heart of Winter is better IMO. And nothing beats Transilvanian Hunger in Terms of Grimness.

Have to disagree regarding Slayer - Reign in Blood is the best metal album of all times to me. Fatality, Reality, await the final caaaaaaallllll!

Edited by Max Power

My denim obsession tends to ebb and flow, over the past years there have been times when I've been really active on the forums, and other times I'm not. Honestly I'm better off in less-interested phases because I'm less likely to blow cash on some new pair I don't really need. Right now I'm in a more interested phase, but it's really because I'm selling off some stuff (mostly shirts) and looking to replace them with better-fitting stuff.

Most of the music I like lately is indie rock/dream pop kind of stuff (Wild Nothing, DIIV, Beach Fossils, etc.)

You can throw lip stick on a pig, but it's still a pig

What i dont understand about the hate against naked and famous collaborations is that theyre usually 90% the other party and just naked and famous branding and fit. Would you say my FHxNF collabs are a pig? I would be offended if you did. Theyre flathead denim, cut and sewn by flat head, flat head hardware, flat head arcs, flat head everything except the patch is designed by naked and famous and theyre a modified naked and famous cut.

Same goes for these. If you're a fan of Burgus plus then here's an opportunity to get them from a North American retailer. Sure, NF core line isnt the best but their collaborations are pretty solid, (momo collab, Oni, FH, Kamikaze attack, Big john)

^cm, In a way, I think you've answered your own question about N&F in the earlier conversation about brand loyalty. 

Then again, IH doesn't scream motorbikes and tough guys when you just look at the jeans themselves. The branding does.

Same with the flat head. I love the jeans but I'm no rockabilly greaser.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to pull a "gotcha!" I do think, however, that N&F gets criticized and mocked because of the way they brand themselves. However legitimate and bona fide the collaborations are, the array of downright zany projects that the company produces steers the brand's image toward the wacky, the ridiculous, and the bizarre. It's not just a matter of the company trying new things or pushing the envelope; the company knows that novelty projects like "hologram" denim or even 32oz denim are lightning rods of attention. Hence, folks around here tend to ignore or actively distance themselves from N&F because of the way it brands itself and calls attention to itself through products that are least like the ones that tend to be appreciated and revered on this forum.  

Yeah, if you hate a brand, why would a collab change that? Even IF the collab is done to 90% by another brand, why should I throw money at a brand I don't like? It makes a lot more sense to buy the other brand directly. Hence why bradl's comment is funny and makes sense.

Bah, there should be more straight-ish fit collaborations or at least some more give in the top block.

Not specifically here, but I tend to think people get wayyyy too much into the narrative (work ethics aside) of their clothes. Branding be damned I only care about the product.