Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I check DB pretty often, as above there is a lot of product and brand knowledge. That said there is a very definate look favoured there that's not for me. Without wishing to offend them, each to their own, DB can also come across as very clique'y. They are obsessively protective of some brands, looks and members and I feel some posts are a little like fawning over each other.

There are some very good people on DB and a lot of knowledge on certain brands and product types. Mr Randal is a top man, generous, funny and hard-working, he puts on Denim Bruin every year in California (I'd like to go myself). The aesthetic there is different to Sufu, less general/streetwear and more heritage inspired/mature. I can understand why people may think its cliquey as it's on a smaller scale than Sufu and perhaps a little more niche in outlook but I think it's no different to any other close-knit forum. If I'm correct, it originated as a consequence of the perceived immaturity and somewhat more general nature of Sufu, so bear that in mind. It's not as daunting as it may appear! I post more on here than there, partly because the smaller size means DB is slower moving and responses are quicker on Sufu.

Anyway, that's my $0.02, I'm off to to DB to tell them you think they're all a bunch of c***s!!!

From my perspective, the discussion about reddit and DB only really highlights the way in which social media related to raw denim has diversified a great deal over the last five years. Take a look back at Sufu in 2009-10 and there was a much greater mix in terms of active members: on any given weekend, WAYWT would feature everything from visvim-wearing types to miner chic. You'd have threads of Paul T and Ring Ring dropping knowledge on vintage shuttle looms and then teenagers asking about sizing down two on PBJ-005. 

Since then, boards have sprung up that cater for more specific tastes. DB, as Maynard points out, was formed as a result to Sufu c.2011 which got a bit out of hand and is therefore protective of its character. There's the Iron Heart forum, which is largely brand-specific but attracts a particular crowd that is different from on here. Younger kids who have not grown up with the original message board era tend to gravitate towards reddit, and then of course there's Instagram with all its personal brand-building and spam comments of ''Like it!''. I'm a regular reader of other boards and an occasional IG user but I still come back to Sufu because these days there's a good crew of regular posters, interest in the brands I like, good conversation, and no posers! 

There's space for everyone online although I do miss the earlier, more active Sufu.

I say there are asses on denimbro because it's the only forum where multiple people have made rude remarks to me and I've observed rude and out-of-line remarks to others, so i don't think it's just ol' annoying me causing up a stir.

Funny enough even when i joined superfuture in 2011 it seemed like there was a lot more activity, but to other people here in 2011 it was already going downhill...

Ben, I don't think your observation was unfounded either. You have been on the end of a few barbed remarks on that board. I never see it as being justified - I mean, we're talking about clothes and shoes here not anything truly worth getting angry or insulting about.

Sufu 2011 was very active but among the good posts, you had weird shit like Alexxx ze German posting muscle shots. Quality had dipped a touch by that stage.

that white guy in japan there ishmael is so worked up on me i dont know why.. the riff is between me and john lofgren not him , maybe hes the guy fucking john in the ass? or the other way around?

yeah there are a lot of asses on denimbro.

When writing to Ishmael from time to time I found him to be very helpful and kind. Trying to be a bit defensive here. Especially that we all know you Ed, to be pretty offensive from time to time. Which is okay for me, and I don't mean it offensive!

Then again, I havnt followed any of these discussions that lead to insults.....

Ed, you should stop being so annoying with Lofgren. I can see why ishmael cares since i think he's friends with him (and it probably ends there...)

Ishmaels given me shit too. for the record, I don't have a vendetta against anyone who has been an ass to me... if anyone cares to look back long enough in the mister freedom thread you can see 00 Soul blow up on me randomly (pretty funny), but I still shoot the shit with him about stuff even now.

Exactly, I used to be a dick to MF because I thought he made too many random (albeit clever) comments. He's since stopped and been more interested in primarily conversing about denim (imo) so I just dropped it, really for the better I think.

Like sugar said, it's denim and the specificity of our interests should really just encourage us all to be friends!

Ive thought we needed a general thread here for awhile( although that's only a portion of what this thread was meant for) thanks to cmboland for starting this thread. The GD over at /rawdenim was the only bit I enjoyed.

I'm sure there is something similar over in supertrash, but I don't venture out there. Different breed lurk in those parts.

Edited by SuperJackle

From my perspective, the discussion about reddit and DB only really highlights the way in which social media related to raw denim has diversified a great deal over the last five years. Take a look back at Sufu in 2009-10 and there was a much greater mix in terms of active members: on any given weekend, WAYWT would feature everything from visvim-wearing types to miner chic. You'd have threads of Paul T and Ring Ring dropping knowledge on vintage shuttle looms and then teenagers asking about sizing down two on PBJ-005.

Since then, boards have sprung up that cater for more specific tastes. DB, as Maynard points out, was formed as a result to Sufu c.2011 which got a bit out of hand and is therefore protective of its character. There's the Iron Heart forum, which is largely brand-specific but attracts a particular crowd that is different from on here. Younger kids who have not grown up with the original message board era tend to gravitate towards reddit, and then of course there's Instagram with all its personal brand-building and spam comments of ''Like it!''. I'm a regular reader of other boards and an occasional IG user but I still come back to Sufu because these days there's a good crew of regular posters, interest in the brands I like, good conversation, and no posers!

There's space for everyone online although I do miss the earlier, more active Sufu.

I do like instagram for denim, but holy Fuck I hate people who comment on my photos with emojis or like it or general bullshit like that. Going to start deleting comments that resemble that from now on.

But I agree with what you said, all the seperate boards keep people with their like. Reddit helps keep all the stupid questions in one place which I am thankful for.I remember every thread back in 09-10 would be full of people saying if I wear this in this what would I be in this.

The biggest realisation was that actually I don't mind a lower rise, but I absolutely hate a wide hem. And I've never, ever liked leg twist!!

hmmmm, you seem to be the anti-blue nemo!

Okay I'll rephrase it for just for you, fire emojis, bullseye, 100 and a few others I have tried to emit from my memory. No problem with others, just the ones people spam

so true. i'm beginning to realize that there's about 20 IG users who just circlejerk emojis onto each others' daily "buy it for life" pics, and it's always those damn fires and bullseyes

im sorry but john lofgren accused me of something thats not true. anyways  i still think that ishmael is fucking lofgren in the ass or the other way around... im sorry just had to say this.

now going back has any of you experienced the difference from a brand lets say Real mccoy from the product today  compared to its product 6 years ago?

or any other brands. WH, FC  etc etc... show some pictures please doesnt matter if they improved or the other way around..

so true. i'm beginning to realize that there's about 20 IG users who just circlejerk emojis onto each others' daily "buy it for life" pics, and it's always those damn fires and bullseyes

Yeah, I really don't get it. Doesn't add anything.

im sorry but john lofgren accused me of something thats not true. anyways  i still think that ishmael is fucking lofgren in the ass or the other way around... im sorry just had to say this.

Spill the beans

The only thing that really annoys me about r/rawdenim is all the freaking "fit checks". I just don't understand, you had to put them on to take your shitty picture so you should probably know at that point if they fit you or not. 

Edited by pudaspriest

The only thing that really annoys me about r/rawdenim is all the freaking "fit checks". I just don't understand, you had to put them on to take your shitty picture so you should probably know at that point if they fit you or not. 

"Do these jeans make my butt look fat" isn't just for girls anymore, darn it!

Yeah, I really don't get it. Doesn't add anything.

Spill the beans

bro go on to DB your there  i see you on the threads. man that ishmael guy i dont know.. he looks fruity to me.

I agree with this. I think a lot of them are looking for some time of community approval or "belonging"

Welcome to r/rawdenim, where your Unbrandeds will look like everyone else's after a couple weeks of wear!

Man I don't know what it is but that place gets to me. I've chatted with others about it in person before and they all seem to agree. Just not a place that's really conducive to the development of a niche kinda thing we're all into. Basically just a circlejerk where guys who eat up everything GQ tells them to go to show off their #rawfies. Gah...

But like someone else stated, at least we're not getting all the shitty "fit checks" and sizing questions here.

Could have sworn I seen you post there before I seen you post here?

I do think it has some good aspects, but denim knowledge, and brand representation are not the strong suits at all.

Edited by bradl

Nah I think I started posting on styleforum first, moved here, checked out r/rawdenim for awhile and didn't like where it was headed and dropped it ever since.

I still read it from time to time, mainly out of boredom.

Welcome to r/rawdenim, where your Unbrandeds will look like everyone else's after a couple weeks of wear!

Man I don't know what it is but that place gets to me. I've chatted with others about it in person before and they all seem to agree. Just not a place that's really conducive to the development of a niche kinda thing we're all into. Basically just a circlejerk where guys who eat up everything GQ tells them to go to show off their #rawfies. Gah...

But like someone else stated, at least we're not getting all the shitty "fit checks" and sizing questions here.

Every time a redditor calls another redditor an "internet pants friend" god kills a kitten

Every time a redditor calls another redditor an "internet pants friend" god kills a kitten

Yup, that and #rawfies.

I guess what it boils down to is my issue with reddit as a whole, and it's just applied to something I'm interested in.

So it annoys me more than reddit overall.

I still go back and read the older threads here because there's so much info, that's what got me to start an account here in the first place.

I wish all the images were still around.