Edwin Jeans..

bapelolol

Nashvilles - size down by 2, this is what I should have done with my Waynesvilles, instead of just sizing down 1.

ED - size down by 2 also, this is what I did with my ED69s. Please note that these are the older, Italian-made EDs (no longer produced) and both the ED range and Nashvilles (Waynesvilles are a thing of the past too) are now made in Tunisia.

Edwin are notoriously vanity sized and do stretch a bit in my experience.

In honesty, my allegiance to Edwin is vaguely sentimental (first Japanese jeans I bought, back in 2002 and I've had a number of pairs since) but although they're reasonably priced, I don't think I'd buy any more of their jeans. I prefer to wear SDA, Flat Head, LVC etc these days.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Size down by two does not work for all EDs, the 47, 49 and SEN cuts are definitely a lot smaller than for example Nashville

Example: While a W28 Nashville is perfect for me I would not fit into a W28 ED 47. And even a W29 ED 47 feels still much tighter than the Nashville. I imagine this to be the same with Edwins skinnier cuts (like ED 55), so I would not size down by two for those (and preferably if course try them on first).

For Nashvilles, I buy a 29". For reference, I'm 31" in Japanese brands (Momotaro, PBJ, Samurai, SDA). Even sized down 2, the Nashvilles are pretty loose. They've always been my 'looser fit' jeans of choice.

I could probably go another size down, but I think they'd look weird. They're quite an old school boxy fit with wide legs and not much tapering, so if you want something slimmer then look at a different cut.

I like the fit though. I think they're great paired with a slim fitting Oxford and crisp, simple footwear, like some white Vans.

Well ive been having a hard time finding measurements for Edwin denim. My past purchases compared to what the Edwin website has posted, the measurements were completely different.

I know they arent as good as SDA or FH or the likes but, I've gone through so many brands and cuts and have yet to find a pair of denim that I am satisfied with the cut, except a pair of 3Sixteen+ 21BSP. The only thing is, SelfEdge doesnt take returns and with Edwin being sanforized, I can try them on and return them if need be.

Which Edwin cuts are japanese made? And where can I get some online? I know the zen line is but, they are waaayy too slim for me. I need something along the lines of..

31W

14.5-15.5 BR

11-11.5 FR

11-12 Thigh

8.75-9 Knee

8-8.3 Hem

I just got a pair of the o/works chinos from supersonic. Beautifully made.

Like Mr Friedman, Edwin were one of my earliest forays into selvage, pair of Japanese Nash s . Wish I still had them.

Motorcycles, good music and lots of Edwin clothes - I love this short movie:

The efforts Edwin Europe lately has made are impressive, tons of interesting events at the London store that make you wish you lived there, some nice posts in their indigo curious section and their daily journal, stunning look books, and much more. This brand seems to be doing really well at the moment. And they definitely try to be more than "the Levi's of Japan".

What I find especially impressive are their non-jeans clothes, classic everyday clothing with very discreet branding or no branding at all. The shirts, sweaters, wollies, jackets, etc. are usually well made and quite reasonably priced (but of course not MIJ).

Edited by mat_wue

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.oipolloi.com/edwin-oi-polloi-10th-anniversary-ed-49-dry-organic-145oz-green-selvage-denim#

Well these look amazing, deadstock 14,5 oz organic cone mills denim! Anyone had their hands on these?

Hidden rivets too. If they really are deadstock Cone Mills, that looks a good price for them.

2 further points need clarification in my opinion:

- are they still made in Tunisia or elsewhere?

- are they sanforized or STF?

Hello SuFu, this is my first post (although been lurkin' around here for quite a year). A quick question: going to pick up a pair of those ED-71 red selvage raws. The only raw jean I own at the moment is Unbranded 101 sized W31 and they fit pretty good (snug and tight in the waist/thighs, but not too skinny overall); my actual waist is 82..83 cm which would match 32'', but I'm used to sizing down 1-2 in most cases; so, with ED-71's should I size down two or even three? The problem is there's no W29 at cultizm (where I'm going to shop actually), so should I pick up W30 and expect them to fit, ehh... snug?

Thanks.

As mentioned before, I do not think you can size down Edwin's slimmer cuts as much as their regular or loose fits (e.g. ED-32, ED-47/49, Nashville). I would give the W30 a try, they should be snug enough. Do you know how cultizm handles returns?

Regarding the deadstock Cone denim ED-49's: They look nice indeed, great texture in the denim. I assume they are sanforized, otherwise it would make no sense to produce them in L32 exclusively.

mat_wue

Damn, should've sized down 3 as I planned (W29).

Just got them today and the waist turned out to be horrendously loose (like 33-34"), however they fit great on the thighs and the rest of the legs. Have already ordered a W29 (which they have restocked just recently).

Edited by screw age

Damn, sorry to hear that! I actually tried the ED-71 on this weekend, felt very much like the ED-55, so it's only two down for me, three would be overkill. :/ I must say I am not so happy with many Edwin ED cuts, they are often too slim in the tighs but too loose in the waist... I hope your 29" ED-71 work out for you, mate!

TsaDJ.jpg

ED 55's at 8 months.

These jeans are really a bang for your buck! The fact that they are produced in Tunisia might scare some of the "wabash" people away, but the truth is my Samurais were almost torn to bits by now. Got my first back pocket thread rip the other day...

After starting out with Edwins years ago I've come full circle after having my hands on Samurai, LVC, Steam Loco, Warehouse, Full Count and Sugar Cane. The Nashvilles are a great cut, fit beautifully, ok the denim isn't made in Japan but who gives a ****. Just picked up some new Nashvilles and yeh I've missed them.

They'll never better my Roys but they'll always play second fiddle.

The Nashvilles denim is made in Japan. The jeans are sewn in Tunisia.

Interestingly, I was in Interstate last week and the assistant told me that if they meet a minimum order they can still order a batch of Waynesvilles to be produced.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of Edwin SK505T that I have been wearing for about a year on and off. I notice that the denim feels like it has a waxy coat on them. I don;t know if this is the reason why there is little to no fades. I have a pair N&F that I have only been wearing for a month that already show more wear then my Edwins. I did not pre-soak the denim, could this be the reason for the waxy like coating?

Anyone notice this about their edwins?