Edwin Jeans..

bapelolol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think they use lots of different mills, from the big three (kaihara, kurabo, nisshinbo) to smaller ones like Toyobo.

Edwin is big though, AFAIK their fabrics are made specifically for them.

Edited by mikecch

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah high raw denim prices always sucks. Except you're lucky and are living nearby an outlet like near Basel opposite the German border in Weil am Rhein, where you can get quite a lot of Edwin stuff for about Euro 30-60 also the Edwin Nashville, Waynville or Greenville

The outlet Weil truly is great. I was looking for raw jeans in the area of Basel and all I have found were a couple of Nudies and Edwins in the Zooloose shop - of course at typical Swiss prices and with only one single pair of selvage jeans left. Also, all the raw denim cuts they had were skinny or super skinny.

Rather frustrated, I happened to stumble upon the Weil outlet on the internet the same evening. The short walk through the snow over the border was well worth it! Lots of unwashed, selvage denim at ridiculously low prices. And not only super small or large sizes, but also the "normal" stuff that is usually sold out quickly (30/34 and the likes).

So, I bought three pairs of Edwin ED-32 loose fitting jeans, made from Japanese 13.5 oz raw rainbow selvage denim for 24 EUR / 32 USD per jeans! They seem to be *very* well made, have a classic (yet not too loose) cut and feature a crotch rivet. I am quite happy with them! Does anybody know if the cut is based on a specific Levis or Lee model? There is unfortunately barely any information on the ED-32 model available, it seems.

ew1.jpg

ew2.jpg

Edited by mat_wue

• 1 month later...

Have you guys heard of the OWF(Over Work Factory) Line? It's serious made using samples of old old denim they found in vintage markets with production in Japan from the most premium fabrics(shuttle loom unsanforized denim, loopwheeled tops etc).

I guess that's the same thing as what I've mentioned above. The denim is really great - pricey though.

• 2 weeks later...

Edwin Overworks are expensive, but they make some really nice pieces. Regular Edwin is more of a high street brand, kind of like Nudie or Lee i guess.

10478054-origpic-f80a5c.jpg_0_0_100_100_500_750_90.jpg

This one is nice, but 340€ :(

That is a nice sawtooth shirt above!

First signs of use on my ED-32s, after approximately 1.5 months of wear. looks like the rainbow selvage denim might develop some nice vertical falling with time. I soaked the jeans after a couple of weeks in the (vain) attempt to get the waistband to shrink a bit.

ew3.jpg

ew4.jpg

ew5.jpg

Edwin 505X (retired) - 2 years, multiple soak/washes. If you can give me any details about these jeans that would be nice. They were pretty black then faded to blue and finally ended up green. I dont know if these are raw or selvedge, they seemed to have been tapered possibly. Bought these in 2009 from bapelolol. I dont think these pictures accurately show the color of these jeans.

IMG_2732-1.jpg

IMG_2731-1.jpg

IMG_2730-1.jpg

IMG_2729-1.jpg

Comparison of the blue/green/black of the denim:

IMG_2735-1.jpg

Close up of denim, these were pretty hairy when I got them (I was a denim noob and was confused why it was so hairy)

IMG_2734-1.jpg

IMG_2733-1.jpg

Edited by noobedloser

BTW, Edwin now have a little shop in London. It's in Shoreditch, where The Three Threads used to be. Don't have that much of interest to be honest. Mostly the Euro stuff you can get everywhere else.

What's the deal with the Nashvilles now? I have had pairs that were made in Japan, but I don't think my newest pair are, although they're pretty much identical from what I can remember.

All the 'villes (well Nashville and Waynesville now only - the Greensville has been dropped) are made in Tunisia and sanforized.

The Edwin shop in Charlotte Rd also has some Factory Overworks pieces, but they keep it on the downlow, so you have to ask for it. They also have a Union Special but they hadn't quite figured it all out or what type of service they were going to provide when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Old Edwin Nashvilles. One of about 4 pairs that i've owned. These were relegated to decorating jeans when I got a newer pair.

Well worn Nashvilles, very nice! From all the Edwin cuts I have tried so far I like Nashville the best. Luckily I was able to find a pair in 28/34 which fits just perfectly.

All the 'villes (well Nashville and Waynesville now only - the Greensville has been dropped) are made in Tunisia and sanforized.

I can confirm the "made in Tunisia" and the sanforization. Yet they are of course still made from the same Japanese red selvage 14 oz. denim. Construction quality is also still very high, from what I can tell. And while they definitely are sanforized the inseam shrunk a pretty astonishing amount on mine after soaking (definitely more than on the rainbow selvage ED Edwins, but I did not measure the length, unfortunately). I am pretty glad I bought the 34" inseam and soaked them before wearing them for a long time, the shrinking would have messed up the fades quite a bit, I guess. the waist band did not shrink.

I was also able to find a new Edwin "Axel" denim jacket from the 2008 collection, made from the raw 13.7 oz. rainbow selvage denim. I will have to take pictures some day, I really like the fit of the jacket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...