Washing Your Denim - solutions and process

halfbaiked

lukewarm handwash with small amount of detergent (turning it inside out in between agitating)

rinse in cold water afterwards.

I am one of those who love the meditative state of handwashing stuff :P

Edited by redragon

Hog, I like how this has come full circle in some ways...from the days of ocean washes and excessive babying, to the blasé they're-just-jeans mentality, now to something in between. I guess the pendulum swung far enough in both directions to finally settle on the right course.

If what you say is true, perhaps I'll opt for more soaks.

Well I'm sure that temperature and agitation and hot dryer do make a difference. If you look at care tags none would tell you to wash denim above 30 or 40° nowadays and I think that's not only because of eco-think. Modern detergents are powerful enough at comparatively low temperatures and you don't need to nearly boil clothes to get even nasty stains out.

Regarding agitation, of course programs for dark clothes that use less agitation aren't without merit. Less throwing around in the machine means not as much color lost. Lower spin cycle means less wrinkles, that goes for all clothes, not just denim. And tumble drying just kills any fabric over time, be they "just denim" or something else.

I think using the same common sense when washing denim as you would washing knits or t-shirts is a given and not the same as following some of the more metaphysical denim care guides.

Exactly, I'm all for the easy approach, I mean in one respect it's just denim, but then it isn't 'just denim' or we'd buy pre-washed shit off the high street - there has to be some argument for looking after it with some degree more care. Which is something I'd never have previously thought myself considering!  :D

If it was just denim we wouldn't even be on SuFu  :D

Like Iron Horse said, we've come full circle and found the middle ground 

Since this is here and I was just thinking about this the other day... what does everyone think of Biz Stain detergent? I heard about it, weirdly enough, on a podcast and they mentioned that it had enzymes that ate stains rather than a detergent that lift them away? Anyways, it was briefly mentioned and I had never heard of it before but immediately thought about how that would work on denim. Anyone have any clue about the stuff or experience?

Biz Stain

I would imagine it would be awful for jeans.  I guess you could always try it on a pair of Levi's or something you really don't care about.

Other than that... It's an AMAZING detergent.  It really really works wonders.  If you fill up the sink with biz and then soak your clothes overnight pretty much any stain will come out.  I really only have used it on light colored clothes and sheets though.

Maybe if you didn't go to such extremes and just used it as a normal detergent in the tub it would be better.

Edited by givemefive

I set the machine to "hot" on the first wash to get all the shrink out. Then "cold" washes, inside out from then on.

Hang dry usually too after a gentle spin (if i can catch it before it starts.) Unless I'm in a rush I'll machine dry on "air fluff"

I use any detergent without bleach, as that sort of scares me.

Do you guys measure with thermometers or do I just use ancient washing machines? lol

All those freezing, airing, sundrying methods might help a little bit and for 2 hours at best. If the Jeans reek, there's no fix besides washing.

Yeah, I don't know who decided that a freezer would kill bacteria (and therefore stink), but that's certainly not what I learned in the microbio lectures all those years back. Freezing will only put them in 'suspended animation'(!) and the moment they're all thawed out again the little critters will be back in action. If your jeans come out of the freezer smelling minty fresh (or of fish in the case of anything that comes out of my freezer) then great. But any bugs are still there 😀

Anyone just leave them out in the sun for a day? Does that get the stink out? 

It depends on the level. If you turn them inside out, and stick them on the washing line on a nice sunny, blustery, day that often works. But usually you need to bite the bullet and wash them in a machine. 

On a sidenote - I've been doing a little experiment since january. As I wanted to get a glimpse how my Warehouse could look faded, I threw the cutoff hem of my WHxBiG 660 into the machine everytime I washed. After 20+ washes it's still surprisingly dark and did only develop a bit of roping. Shows, that Indigo loss is due to wear, not due to washing. I'll continue the Experiment and try to post a pic when I can.

Edited by Max Power

On a sidenote - I've been doing a little experiment since january. As I wanted to get a glimpse how my Warehouse could look faded, I threw the cutoff hem of my WHxBiG 660 into the machine everytime I washed. After 20+ washes it's still surprisingly dark and did only develop a bit of roping. Shows, that Indigo loss is due to wear, not due to washing. I'll continue the Experiment and try to post a pic when I can.

That's a great experiment, would love to see side-by-side photos of the jeans and the machine-washed cuffs.

i have been planning on doing this with my Samurai 710xx hem pieces

For sanforized jeans, how early is too early for a wash? I got these jeans going for about 4 months now... but they smell weird. Like I can notice the smell when I sit in my car... :/

If you can smell them, you can be sure that others can too. I would wash them.