Washing Your Denim - solutions and process

halfbaiked

Stain update: curry is still mildly visible even after a spray and wash/toothbrush treatment + machine wash. But it's faint enough that it hardly shows, and I think it'll be mostly gone once the jeans are faded enough. I'm not worried.

Be careful eating curry, everyone! :)

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but here goes ;-)

Is it generally true that limited washing in the first few months is the key to sharply defined creases and fades?  In other words, since raw or soaked denim tends to be stiff, I would guess that wearing jeans in this stiffer state is required for sharp creases, if that's what you're after.  Once the denim has been washed a few times and softens up, does the frequency of washing have significantly less impact on how the jeans look?

Thanks.

John

Yes, if they still have some starch left in them they should produce sharper creases, and more pronounced fading in those areas if worn for an extended period of time before their next wash.

Frequency of washing down the road is going to impact the amount of contrast between the worn and non worn areas. If areas of wear have already been established, the washing should soften its edges.   

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but here goes ;-)

Is it generally true that limited washing in the first few months is the key to sharply defined creases and fades?  In other words, since raw or soaked denim tends to be stiff, I would guess that wearing jeans in this stiffer state is required for sharp creases, if that's what you're after.  Once the denim has been washed a few times and softens up, does the frequency of washing have significantly less impact on how the jeans look?

Thanks.

John

the starch in your denim is what causes wear and tear on your jeans if i'm not mistaken. If you're looking for defined creases and fades then you likely don't want to wash your jeans often. but washing your denim isn't a bad thing either. I have to admit, I actually find it mildly repulsive when I see pics of denim that haven't been washed for a year, but that's me

If you put them in the machine right-side out, you're exposing the outside of the jeans to abrasion which will result in indigo loss, which will happen regardless, but becomes problematic in a machine where such abrasion can result in unwanted and unnatural fades.  Turning them inside out prevents this.  I machine wash and dry my denim with no harmful effects, just some creasing which eventually come out as I wear them.

Edited by HGS

If you put them in the machine right-side out, you're exposing the outside of the jeans to abrasion which will result in indigo loss, which will happen regardless, but becomes problematic in a machine where such abrasion can result in unwanted and unnatural fades.  Turning them inside out prevents this.  I machine wash and dry my denim with no harmful effects, just some creasing which eventually come out as I wear them.

This is probably true in theory, but I have to imagine the difference is negligible. I've accidentally done this countless times without affecting my jeans at all. 

^Me as well--once I've washed a pair five or so times I don't bother turning them inside out, as I've noticed they no longer crease as prominently in the wash. Perhaps it's due to the starch washing out, or maybe there's been enough overall indigo loss by that point...

I've done both and it doesn't really seem to affect the fades. However if the jeans are starchy it can end up with hard creases which slightly fade the jeans. So when I folded my jeans they ended up with a slight line going down the middle. Turning it inside out slightly fades the inside, which isn't as visible.

Hmm.  maybe it's the machine dry that damaged my one pair.  It went through both right-side out, but the problem might have been that they were left in the dryer after the machine stopped, and if they weren't fully dry, they dried in a wrinkled clump which might have led to the unwanted fading.  

Washing inside or not I haven't developed creases, but it's definitely when I put it in the dryer that I get those weird lines down the leg. So my method has usually been throwing it in the washer and then hang dry or using a fan to air dry them quick. No weird creases so far with this method.

• 2 weeks later...

I use dr bonners & luke warm water.

every few wears clean inside of denim with 1tsp to 1/3 or 1/2 cup of water.

turn inside out & just gently lather with toothbrush down the back rise. let sit a min or so.

then fold in half down the back rise to rinse with faucet carefully to avoid getting other parts of the denim wet if possible.

then hang dry.

doesn't seem to effect any fades outside the denim but if you get to aggressive will be slight indigo loss on inside if is deep indigo.

have been doing this for 6 months plus on my pbj 07 & 013 & have yet to soak or wash yet still clean.

Edited by M3RK

Is there a reason for that? Are you going commando all of the time? Heavy farter?

I doubt "no wash yet still clean" very much. Sure, ass and ball sweat are a thing, but I really doubt that other parts of the jeans won't get grimy if you feel the need to clean the seat every few wears.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason for that? Are you going commando all of the time? Heavy farter?

I doubt "no wash yet still clean" very much. Sure, ass and ball sweat are a thing, but I really doubt that other parts of the jeans won't get grimy if you feel the need to clean the seat every few wears.

I don't do any heavy activity in my denim atleast enough to sweat much & really doubt they even smell.

but gives me peace of mind knowing the seat is clean but I hang mine all together in a closet & no odor.

just short term solution to minimize indigo loss to keep a high contrast fade rather than doing a complete soak or wash or if you want to spot clean any area really.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, i have a slightly oversize (3-5cm too big on my waist and overall look) TCB slim 50s in unsanforized condition when i bought it from Denimio.. i have warm soak it once when new and throwed it to 30 degree machine wash with dryer, it shrank about 1-2cm but i’m still not satisfied with how it look. So i plan to wash it once again in 60 degree for the last time to maximize the shrinkage before start wearing it.. my question is will the 60degree too hot? Because i don’t want to ruin the leather patch..