66 type jeans

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks very much, b_F! I'm wearing my (somewhat roomy up top) Resolutes now and I've been considering getting another pair of 710s but sizing one down this time. Seeing great photos of some well-worn D1709s though has me reconsidering my next purchase.

Edited by double dare

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure LVC (or rather Cone in this case) uses Magnadraft nowadays. They just try to replicate the effect Magnadraft had on the texture without really using Magnadraft. With Resolute 710 you have a good brand for late 60s denim and also TCB's 60s jeans are nice

Hmmmm.... this recently (but long overdue) bumped thread has me thinking about a pair of SC1966s again - I see the new models without the star are now made in Japan. I have also been considering some LVC 66s for a while - if only there was a thread comparing the two models.....

Not exactly 66s, but the LVC 76s (which iirc represent 501s from '72 to '77) aren't wildly different from late 60s 501s in shape. IMO they give a closer approximation of a late 60s/early 70s 501   than anything anyone else is making, without any goofy proportions or exaggerated details.

• 1 year later...

My Resolute 710s are getting far too faded to wear to work. I'm thinking of getting a new pair of 66 type jeans and I'm veering towards Boncoura. Can anyone shed any light on the fit differences between Resolute and Boncoura, particularly abound the upper box and thighs?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not quite 66 but here are my 64 jeans! I think the high-rise, generous thigh and subtle taper all fit in well with their contemporaries.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

Edwin-made Wrangler 10MW 64. 

14oz, sanforized (I hope!) loose cut with right-hand twill, button fly, felled inseam and selvedge outseam.

350EC02A-D25B-4F13-8FEE-D899F768ED3A.jpeg

D5167540-474A-4F19-BFCE-F990233DE6BA.jpeg

6BC015DE-E7E1-43F0-B2D0-58851E41B5A4.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread. Which is the best 66 models nowadays? I've tried the Resolute but they are too tight in the thigh which forces me to size up in waist, which makes it too roomy in the waist. Would TCB be a better option. Is there any new 66 models that are interesting nowadays? 

@Newman Best is always pretty subjective. TCB has a decent 66 model and is genrally of good youality. Keep in mind they are less tapered than most Japanese '66 repros.
Conner's Sewing Factory now offers a '66 pair as well (but it's hard to get one).

Ooe Yofukuten 02 cut is always an option as well

3 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

@Newman Best is always pretty subjective. TCB has a decent 66 model and is genrally of good youality. Keep in mind they are less tapered than most Japanese '66 repros.
Conner's Sewing Factory now offers a '66 pair as well (but it's hard to get one).

Ooe Yofukuten 02 cut is always an option as well

I've heard about the TCB taper and might be a problem with being too wide. The stockist in Sweden doesn't carry the 60s. Where do you usually get Yofokuten? Everything seemes to be sold out on their website 

You can get Ooe from Standard&Strange, from Barnstomer Gotemba and also from Canvas Shop. There are some more stockist but most of them are low in stock (as well as the ones I mentioned). You gotta keep up to date with recent releases and buy when they go live.

Maybe their own webshop will open again but I don't know when.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I see the gentlemen from RUBATO is most likely releasing a 66-type denim. Their wool sweaters and Japanese-made high-waist chinos are amazing and they have been working with vintage for a long time. Think they will do great in this thread >  https://www.instagram.com/p/CYRVo7XscPf/

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, unionmade said:

I see the gentlemen from RUBATO is most likely releasing a 66-type denim

Yes! I bought it and it is very good. I also have Resolute 711, Superstitch and Drake's denim if someone have questions. And the wool sweaters are also really nice.

What are people's thoughts on the McCoy's 004 as a 66ish cut? I am not getting on with the Resolute 710 for the same reason as @Newman and I'm strongly considering selling them off and going for the 004. I enjoy having a slim tapered option in the wardrobe hemmed short to just meet the top of a shoe and get a flood gap with just a small, single cuff.

@Jared_Lee The denim on the 710 sure is beautiful but it I couldn't justify spending the money a pair of jeans that were too tight around the thighs either. I actually tried the 004 and they felt really solid but they didn't have too much of a true 66' vibe going on honestly, reminded me more of a regular pair of modern slim/straight jeans. In the end I went with Sugar Cane 66 because they had a much softer taper which was more comfortable around the thighs and resulted in a cut that really reminded me of Creedence-era vintage Levi's.