2,636 posts in this topic

is this change in rise something that is overstated in reproductions? These babies are sportin' a 10" rise.

listen erk, wear the fuck out of whatever jeans you have in your wardrobe.  time, abuse and body heat will loosen up everything.  don't fret about dimensions.

@erk is og, i'm sure he knows what to do with a piece of cloth draped around one's bum n legs.

what he is questioning is rather if tcb, being a brand purporting to be specializing in period-correct repro(duction) of levi's jeans instead of a more modern-minded (re)interpretations of them (eg, stevenson, rgt, 3sixteen, et al), is overstating the (supposed) characteristics and dimensions of the so-called "66 (levi's) cut" (slimmer, lower rise, among others).

Haha woah. @oomslokop has me right here. We all know various companies including tcb (especially LVC) like to monkey with things to fit a particular narrative, agenda, body type etc. a rise this low just doesn't really strike me as 501 esque. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

tcb likes tweaking their jeans a bit from the original.  especially their denim jackets, they are longer in length.

On 8/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, erk said:

Haha woah. @oomslokop has me right here. We all know various companies including tcb (especially LVC) like to monkey with things to fit a particular narrative, agenda, body type etc. a rise this low just doesn't really strike me as 501 esque. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

I had a pair of one-wash purchased directly from inoue size 33 but the waist measured 31" BiG style =/ , sold 'em a while back. I don't know about the newer runs or the raw versions but in my case they ran so small and the rise was also very short - they weren't worth stretching cause they'd prob just blowout.

On 10/08/2017 at 11:07 PM, erk said:

with that in mind, what are your thoughts re: tcb vs lvc interpretation of the 1950s era jeans? sorry if you have already remarked on this...

9 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

with that in mind, what are your thoughts re: tcb vs lvc interpretation of the 1950s era jeans? sorry if you have already remarked on this...

I feel like the 50s TCB and the LVC 1955 are very similar. the pairs i have a size 34 TCB and 34 LVC 55 - the 55s are bigger in the hip area and the leg opening is more narrow than the tcb. I think the TCB 50s look like 50s 501s and I think the silhouette looks right. That being said I've never worn 50s levis and have never seen any in person. I'd like to hear what @PaulT thinks about the LVC vs TCB 50s cuts :)

I've worn the 60s a lot this past week. they're cool. my favorite is still the 50s though. 

Picked up @Denimstoyevsky's 1960's in a trade. My first pair of TCB. Really love the fabric and the fit through the legs- but the low rise feels pretty weird. Also prevents me from tucking my shirt. Would love these legs with a higher rise.

I'm sure this has been asked- but is the sizing in the waist pretty similar between the 1950 and 1960? I kinda want to get my hands on some 50's now.

k0P3JCS.jpg

kjnNp1w.jpg

That's a fine fit right there.

I like the rise of the 60s it suits my beer belly fine.

Sizing is the same, I wear a 36 on both although the 50s are more of a relaxed fit so depending on how loose the 60s fit you could size down one, but I wouldn't suggest it personally.

8 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

Sizing is the same, I wear a 36 on both although the 50s are more of a relaxed fit so depending on how loose the 60s fit you could size down one, but I wouldn't suggest it personally.

I was thinking that these 60's sit right on my hips, where the 50's would come up a bit higher. I figure I narrow out just a bit there and it could work if I went down to a 33. May be safer doing 34 in those also.

8 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

I was thinking that these 60's sit right on my hips, where the 50's would come up a bit higher. I figure I narrow out just a bit there and it could work if I went down to a 33. May be safer doing 34 in those also.

3 hours ago, erk said:

I feel like the 50s TCB and the LVC 1955 are very similar. the pairs i have a size 34 TCB and 34 LVC 55 - the 55s are bigger in the hip area and the leg opening is more narrow than the tcb. I think the TCB 50s look like 50s 501s and I think the silhouette looks right. That being said I've never worn 50s levis and have never seen any in person. I'd like to hear what @PaulT thinks about the LVC vs TCB 50s cuts :)

I've worn the 60s a lot this past week. they're cool. my favorite is still the 50s though. 

thanks for that evaluation. indeed, my 50s are prized in my wardrobe but 60s rise is too too small for me, even tho fabric looks lush. the tcb 50s exaggeration seems to be hem width and that is just fine with me. would love to hear the paul t comparison. 

7 hours ago, fix_me said:

The way those fit you I'd get a size down on the 50s. The fabric is very stretchy and you will want it to be tighter with the higher rise and wider thigh. 

6 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

& i asked you erk as some of your db lvc 55 posts are indeed pretty damn og!

Thanks! I still have those jeans. The last of my lvc. Saving them in case I ever pack on the pounds. 

I really dont know who is in the right with the taper. Lvc seems to change stuff too.  Also forgot that both pairs are nominal 34 but I think the lvc were 2" oversized. 

Edit: I guess what's right is that I like the tcb cut better. 

Edited by erk

fWas told at work on Friday that I have to stop wearing my TCB's (it is company safety policy to not have ripped or torn clothes because they can get caught on stuff while you climb and also create extra fire risk). So they are being retired until I can get them repaired. Gave them a wash last night so they dont stink out my closet in the meantime

TCB 70s bush pants

Unknown days (I would guess about 130-150)

4-5 washes

Worn as my work pants to my job as an Ironworker

(sorry for the massive photo dump, i feel like I am always the guy crowding a page with to many photos)

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

Damn you really did a number on those! Sorry you've gotta downgrade them for the time being—they look great. I'd love to see em and maybe help with repairs once I move back to BC in a couple weeks!

22 minutes ago, chicote said:

Damn you really did a number on those! Sorry you've gotta downgrade them for the time being—they look great. I'd love to see em and maybe help with repairs once I move back to BC in a couple weeks!

Dude! That would be the best. Id love for you to work on them

12 hours ago, chicote said:

12 hours ago, MasonAlexander said:

Dude! That would be the best. Id love for you to work on them

I'd love to see this pair repaired!

Just for fun - both pairs straight out of hot wash and dry 

EAKmdlz.jpgSC7KpZW.jpg

Quick iPhone shots. I'll do some real ones eventually. 

LVC 1955 - 34x36 

Waist - 16.5" 

Front Rise - 11.75"

Back Rise - 15.5"

Thigh - 12.25" 

knee - 9.25"

hem - 8.25"

TCB 50s contest jeans 34x36

Waist - 15.75"

Front Rise - 11.25"

Back Rise - 15.25" 

Thigh - 12.5"

knee - 9.5"

Hem - 8.75" 

Edited by erk

On 2017-08-15 at 0:14 PM, bartlebyyphonics said:

seconded!!!

On 2017-08-15 at 1:02 AM, volvo240thebest said:

I'd love to see this pair repaired!

Third! Hahaha. I have this pair, and my favourite pair of Sugar Canes currently in desperate need of repairs. Its a sad time in my denim life

Well you'll soon have a repair wiz and most importantly an international mullet icon living in your neck of woods...