TCB

I went with my normal size 32 and then sized up to a 33 due to similar concerns. The stretch meant the 33 ended up with quite a lot of sag, which given the high rise didn’t look ideal. 

If that’s a post soak fit, I’d say go with it. 

23 minutes ago, unders said:

I went with my normal size 32 and then sized up to a 33 due to similar concerns. The stretch meant the 33 ended up with quite a lot of sag, which given the high rise didn’t look ideal. 

If that’s a post soak fit, I’d say go with it. 

That's what I'm worried about. These have only been worn once, so I assume they would continue to stretch out a bit more. And yes this is a "post soak" fit in the sense that they are sold one-wash now. They don't offer this cut in raw denim anymore.

Thanks all, I'm going with the 31s. I know the seat won't stretch like the waist, but the seat is only slightly uncomfortable and I had full range of motion when I tried them on. And thanks for the tip @unders, @Jared_Lee's initial competition fit looks pretty similar to mine and seemed to loosen up enough in the seat with wear. I wish I'd known about this forum and the contest, 2020 would have been an interesting time to keep a diary of sorts; maybe i'll catch the next one.

Anyways, I don't get to wear jeans for work but I'll report back once the 31s have broken in a bit. I've looked at enough men's crotches to last me awhile.

@beanjarothat fit looks spot on. Those jeans are tight out of the wash, but stretch nicely after a week of wear. That fabric is best washed every four weeks or so, so you get plenty of wear time after they're fully stretched. Should be golden.

• 2 weeks later...

Those shoulders hit perfectly - I agree it looks good. That said I’m convinced there isn’t a perfect size for jackets because it depends on use - with pants it’s a little easier because we don’t often want to wear sweats under our jeans.

At least for me I’d own 2 sizes of every jacket if I could - but I buy with the intent of layering or not specifically now. 

Thanks gents for the views - appreciated - good points, well made

The measurements on this size 42 are Shoulders 51cm, Pit-to-Pit 65cm, Waist 61cm, Arms 61cm

Interestingly there's a bit of a taper (wonder if this is true to the original), chest plenty big, shoulders and arms are OK but would not want them any smaller

To layer or not to layer is indeed a good question... with this, I'm erring on unlikely.  Wearing a shirt (as in the photo) or sweatshirt is good.  A snugger denim jacket is OK.  A bigger denim jacket is not OK - too bulky.  For cold weather, I'll be reaching for other bigger coats and layering up. (multiple denim jackets do come in handy!)     

The blanket lining eats into the space a little... but expect that to reduce over time as it flattens and drapes

Sizing up?  Not sure what it'll look like - would need measurements first - it may well be too much.  In my mind's eye though, I had this as a very voluminous jacket hence the question.

OK right... I'll sleep on it... but pretty sure you've helped me confirm my inclination to keep it; imagine all the hassle posting it back getting a swap for a 44 and it swamping me :laugh:!!

3 hours ago, unders said:

Your postman’s a busy boy.

Aye mate... I'd been away for the week and knew I was returning to the Canes package, then the TCB turned up the same day I got home (travel slideshow pending :))

I mentioned to my travel mate that I'd got some new jeans and customs spanked me £60. 

He said that's nice (the jeans I assumed, rather than the spanking, but you never know) then he added it's the small things that matter.  Clearly, it's all relative but that did put one perspective on this hobby of ours!

Looks good! I have a tcb chore coat from 2020 in size 44 and its a little too big, My fw 516 is a 42 and fits well underneath. I went with the 44 because I had a tcb type 2 in 42 and it got crazy small in the sleeves and chest after a couple washes. I've tried to get some shrink outta the chore without luck, both are a duck fabric.

5 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I think it looks perfect but i often find clothing which is borderline too small looks better in photographs but it doesn't always feel better to wear.

^ this...

picture perfect doesn't mean ability to move arms or tie shoelaces...

it looks lovely, and very trim fit if that is what you are looking for...

[the s40s tcb jacket I have is around 48 to get volume out of their tubular habit of cutting, but the extra arm length on the type 1 can be folded; less adaptability on the arm/cuffs of these...]

it fits with your over jackets / way of wearing... but size up if you want a denim jacket under it I think...

TCB sizing is - as we've seen - all over the place... it's a bit of a punt buying new models especially

On the S40 jacket, a size 42 has chest 51cm and shoulder 46cm

The chore above is also size 42 but with chest 65cm and shoulder 51cm

So a big variation, even allowing for the lining 

This model has the back vents which give extra expansion - mobility is ok and yep agreed on no bulky jacket layering - already lined jackets with layers, in general, give me that Michellin Man feel!

13 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

TCB sizing is - as we've seen - all over the place... it's a bit of a punt buying new models especially

On the S40 jacket, a size 42 has chest 51cm and shoulder 46cm

The chore above is also size 42 but with chest 65cm and shoulder 51cm

So a big variation, even allowing for the lining 

This model has the back vents which give extra expansion - mobility is ok and yep agreed on no bulky jacket layering - already lined jackets with layers, in general, give me that Michellin Man feel!

yup... how is the duck canvas? the seam crinkles already drip with umami...

The hem is crinkly now and promises to be crinkle-tastic with more wear

I've only limited experience of duck.  Compared to my duck FW Trackwalker pants, this is much more red / earthy coloured - which works well with the brown cord of the collar and gold hardware - and more rigid.  The Trackwalker duck much softer and gentle khaki.  I really like both, particularly with denim.    

Hoping Ryo isn't MIA for much longer - I need to hear from him before finalising a decision - these were sold out on pre-sale, so only potential is for swaps

I think 33.

The 50s are wider in the leg all the way down than the 40s so for a similar leg you'd probably have to go down to 32, but that would likely be pushing it in the waist.

I have 40s in 34 and 50s in 33 and both fit fine. These days I could probably go down an inch in both but I wouldn't do more than 1" difference between them.