TCB

Nice blanket, but I wonder why they used some synthetic fibers in the mix. This is not targeted at TCB. Japanese denim makers agonize over the provenance and characteristics of denims, and then they put a poly-something into the liner or fleece. I don't get it.

^ 10–20% synthetic content has been common in wool shirting and blanketing for a long time, and can help a good bit with longevity

Someone with more vintage knowledge will probably chime in and correct me, but for something like the lining on a ‘50s-era jacket I’d bet that 15% poly is an accurate repro

51 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

^ 10–20% synthetic content has been common in wool shirting and blanketing for a long time, and can help a good bit with longevity

Someone with more vintage knowledge will probably chime in and correct me, but for something like the lining on a ‘50s-era jacket I’d bet that 15% poly is an accurate repro

The original troy mills blanket lining was reused wool and cotton blend , think it was maybe 60-40 wool to cotton but I may be wrong on the ratio 

4 hours ago, JDelage said:

Nice blanket, but I wonder why they used some synthetic fibers in the mix. This is not targeted at TCB. Japanese denim makers agonize over the provenance and characteristics of denims, and then they put a poly-something into the liner or fleece. I don't get it.

I think the bigger question is what is the last 5%?

4B15E307-745D-4C86-8C6D-AA3DC2998F32.thumb.jpeg.1d43b28931d1011d16a40480acc27e6e.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Troy Mills blanket linings used in jackets from the 60s onwards have incorporated man made fibres 

14952AF2-6D58-40E6-8840-CB777610A7AB.jpeg

Makes sense , had a quick google and the original blend was 60/40 ...... surprised I remembered that , the misses sends me to the kitchen for something and 9 times out of 10 I've forgot by the time I reach the fridge 

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

Makes sense , had a quick google and the original blend was 60/40 ...... surprised I remembered that , the misses sends me to the kitchen for something and 9 times out of 10 I've forgot by the time I reach the fridge 

... at least you managed to the right room :laugh2:

24 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

There are loads of fit pics in the TCB 40s contest thread.

Fit wise, pretty similar to the 50s BUT

- rise is higher
- hem width is a touch smaller

Oh sorry about that, had totally missed that there was a separate thread. Just jumped in here as soon as I saw them :D

It sounds like the perfect fit! Think I'll have to try a pair.

Thanks guys!

I'm considering getting a pair of the S40's.  Can anyone with a pair let me know if there was any additional shrinkage?  And were the TCB size charts accurate?  I'd like to order a pair and have it hemmed by TCB - I like to wash my jeans regularly so I want to account for any shrinkage. 

Thanks!

^ Check out the S40s contest thread for detailed info. I had a little additional shrinkage after the first wash, but only lengthwise, about half an inch or so with dryer use and a 60 °C wash. Keep in mind, they have a mighty high rise, which makes the inseam seem longer, meaning u need a shorter inseam. The contest jeans were horribly undersized, but they may have fixed the problem now. Best to contact Ryo via Instagram or email to sort u out.

Re: TCB Wool... 

I watched one of the TCB lives recently and Inoue said that (paraphrasing here because this was few weeks ago) he expects the Japanese mill TCB sources their wool from to close in the next 5-ish years and that wool itself is a dying industry in Japan. He said this because I asked if TCB had any plans for a Storm Riders style jacket (since they already do Lee styles) and he said TCB can't really count on his mill being around long enough to develop a new product around. 

Edited by cusswords

4 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

^ Check out the S40s contest thread for detailed info. I had a little additional shrinkage after the first wash, but only lengthwise, about half an inch or so with dryer use and a 60 °C wash. Keep in mind, they have a mighty high rise, which makes the inseam seem longer, meaning u need a shorter inseam. The contest jeans were horribly undersized, but they may have fixed the problem now. Best to contact Ryo via Instagram or email to sort u out.

Too true - I'm in two minds whether to keep mine or let them go as I was hoping for a bit more shrinkage out of mine, I had them hemmed by Rivet & Hide but they are still 2" too long for me and with lockdown I can't get them shortened. 

Howdy! I got my black TCB 50s in the mail yesterday. I went with size 30, I wear 29 in normal 50s and these are a great fit! I love this denim, definitely the softest, most comfortable right from the start of anything I have tried from TCB. After a full day of wear at work they have stretched out nicely, please reach out to me directly if you would like measurements!  

IMG_2040.jpg

Edited by darkstar73