TCB

37 minutes ago, Daf123 said:

Is it cool with RMC if we use the tank on the patch? I just don't want any trouble again with other brands this time around

..or Nylon before them ;)

https://static.mercdn.net/item/detail/orig/photos/m27737532124_6.jpg?1587702370

...It's all about the cutsey cats imo, repro brands with tanks or Steve McQueen have been thoroughly rinsed but repro brands with cats are next level!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I think we need a different font yeah.

As for Nayuta, I gave her a couple ideas, and she reads here too.

I think that two cats doing the legendary jump over the barbed wire fences à la McQueen it's not being done yet. 3'10'' for the uninitiated peasants

plus, yeah yeah, we all know: ww2 bomber cats...

image.thumb.png.92bebd089d49413d58ad93b2d98f3774.png

image.thumb.png.f1fd5e02d52e3e76377f07b3bfd4c868.png

and a leather patch Felix...

image.thumb.png.6cad448453aee13eaaaec740a70543f4.png

but yes: I insist on cute cats not macho business...

and the more square font Octin Stencil just for reference (without any twist to the top text...) - I think stencil works best really big and blocky, not for more detailed text...

image.png.f0712bfa083bfc20ab727ef765071b1c.png

a pretty groovy 40s stencil here... Tea Chest font designed in 1939 (not free tho) ...

image.thumb.png.0c83d0a3691b9ab7b1eb7ac219136ef8.png

image.thumb.png.4a5cebe073773ed9d52e064dd1e3362c.png

Yeah man a tombstone font would certainly be more original... :D

I think the match of cats and an iconic 2nd world war theme would make it pretty original while still sticking to the classic iconography that identifies the era.

Pretty hard to come up with a design through a democratic process of exchange of opinions it seems. We leave it Nayuta.

I'm onboard with just letting the patch design process happen, not too picky and I'm sure Nayuta will do a fantastic job.
Any discussion of hardware yet? Laurel wreath buttons / donut buttons and mixed hardware (branded, non-branded rivets), etc.? Some vintage examples below.
dp2552-10.jpgdp191-37.jpg
dp930-52.jpgdp730-5.jpg
dp730-4.jpgdp191-58.jpg

20 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

I hardly hardly doubt we can get an authorization to use the term sufu or superfuture, amirite @sufu1 ???

no issue with you guys using sufu for these community contests. but if it’s an official collaboration with superfuture then it needs a proposal... and a modest donation wouldn’t hurt at this point either tbh.

5 minutes ago, superfuture said:

no issue with you guys using sufu for these contests. but if it’s an official collaboration with superfuture then it needs a proposal... and a modest donation wouldn’t hurt at this point either tbh.

thank you for this Wayne. Dm coming

5 hours ago, Capsicum Fried Meat said:

These are so much better embodying characteristic.

agree

5 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

We leave it [to] Nayuta.

image.png.c842594562fe6f8aca5558509e59603b.png

I guess my last observation on the matter would be that naval cats (as per above and as purrr the excellent earlier suggestions about infamous ships cats) may have too much association with USN pants (better suited to the tcb seamans...)...

looking forward to it @Nayuta!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

46 minutes ago, ecsong187 said:

Maybe I miss it has a price been decided yet? Or still very beginning stages? I could be in 

Tcb staff hasn't done yet a price projection for this model but I guess it will be along the lines of other Tcb jeans. The most expensive pair of 5p jeans they make costs 23k jpy, about 215 USD mas o meno. Plus we have to factor in a little extra for the special details of this limited batch which we are still discussing.

Edited by volvo240thebest

Just little details seen on the original pair of wwii jeans which hajime had in hand and used as a sample.

The fly buttons are plain donut button, although the main button is not visible from the pic. The back pocket stitching, which is stitched inward, is same with Nylon FN087/Real McCoy 003/Toy's Mccoy 910. The pocket fabric is plain ecru. The patch was damaged and completely  fell off. Iron hidden rivets on the back pocket and no bartack.

So the pair of jeans which hajime had is very first version of WWII jeans produced by Levi's. The main button should be branded button.

Edited by Capsicum Fried Meat

@Capsicum Fried Meat

What makes you think they are the first version mate ? As far as I know there is no way of knowing for sure if they were produced in 42 or 45 because there was never consistency in production during these years . I've seen black thread used in the chainstitch on the waistband on one or 2 pairs of s501xx and maybe (??) This could be an indication that they were made as the restrictions first applied in 42 , as this detail was only seen on some pairs in the early 40's , barracks on the back pockets could maybe be used to indicate they were made late in 45 but I think I've only ever seen this in the 501xx book ( not sure if I've seen it again ) , Other than this there isn't much to indicate when a pair was made ( as far as I know ) . Branded buttons and rivets were used throughout the the wartime production so using this as an indicator doesn't really work , such a confusing time but its really interesting and my favourite time period in Levi's production 

Edited by Flash

I might be wrong though.
To you question, the combination of the details seen on the jeans make me think they are early version of ww2 Levi’s. I’m not take the main button as indicator here. I inferred from other details I saw that is possible to the branded button not the laurel main button.

I agree that this period of time is most irregular period and makes the jeans interesting

Edited by Capsicum Fried Meat

3 minutes ago, Capsicum Fried Meat said:

I might be wrong though.
To you question, the combination of the details seen on the jeans make me think they are early version of ww2 Levi’s.

I'm no expert but I just dont see any clear details that could nail a date down , the details you mentioned could really place them anywhere 

49 minutes ago, YossarianRaw said:

This is SO cool!
If the measurements are on point, I'm very much in.

it's going to be bigger and wider than what you're used to I think, but perhaps a welcome change of pace!

Very little updates for you peeps so far.
I still have the "other" graphic designer onboard on this, so basically Nayuta will draw the illustration and the other graphic will take care of letterwork and stuff.
She (the "other" graphic) has a endless supply of fonts and she knows how to use them well, so I am pretty sure we will end up with another epic patch.

Edited by volvo240thebest
fix typos