TCB

@volvo240thebest thanks for all your co-ordination/organisational efforts so far, everything is shaping up very nicely. One of the features I like about WW2 jeans is the painted arcs. Do you think we could ask for those back pocket stencils with the holes that you simply dab paint on to create your own arcs? I know Full Count used to occasionally offer this for their WW2 jeans and did a similar thing with their BiG contest pairs too (many years ago). We can buy our own paint and we could all pay a few €/£/$/¥ extra for the stencils/templates.

Heres a photo of the WW2 Full Count ones:

8E2528DD-BF9D-44C5-AAE1-601A3B4A1E7A.jpeg

I have no idea if they ever done anything like this, and what sort of machinery is needed to make it properly.
I will ask
Fc arcs bring misfortune though, cancel that pic FFS :D

those DIY arcs are pretty nifty but if I remeber correctly the previous TCB contest went sideways because of an arc situation :o

Different situation. The templates are a way of getting around the Levi’s arcs copyright issue as far as I’m aware (lawyers and others with better knowledge please feel free to chime in) as the jeans are not being sold with them. The fact they are painted may also make them exempt from copyright breach (eg Evisu). As for Full Count, they certainly hold no copyright over the use of stencils as far as I know!

I can understand if TCB don’t want to entertain this request or are nervous about it. If that’s the case, then how about some painted cat arcs instead?

59 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

I have no idea if they ever done anything like this, and what sort of machinery is needed to make it properly.
I will ask

They're made using a plotter, any signmaker can supply those.. if you scan the arcs which you want, build it as a pdf and email it to the signmaker with some sizes they can cut shit loads of them out of a sheet.

Tallentless graff artists like Banksy use them all the time for stencil work cos they're shit at freehand..

Painted cat ears would be a big turnoff for me, personally—I don’t generally mind whatever weird pocket stitching a brand chooses to use since stitching can be removed so easily, but getting fabric paint off takes a lot more than a seam ripper 

3 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Painted cat ears would be a big turnoff for me, personally—I don’t generally mind whatever weird pocket stitching a brand chooses to use since stitching can be removed so easily, but getting fabric paint off takes a lot more than a seam ripper 

Agree with this fwiw. Either painted arcs, an arcuate stencil or plain would work for me. 

V much looking forward to this. August/September delivery would definitely scratch the itch. 

53 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

indeed, but what Maynard was aiming for in the first place is different. Just asking to receive a stencil to draw the arcs at home.

57 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

They're made using a plotter, any signmaker can supply those.. if you scan the arcs which you want, build it as a pdf and email it to the signmaker with some sizes they can cut shit loads of them out of a sheet.

Tallentless graff artists like Banksy use them all the time for stencil work cos they're shit at freehand..

that's interesting. I had a look online, it seems a wood stencil for a design of the size of a pocket arc is 15 euros +/-, a hard paper stencil like the one on the Fc pic would probably cost less, but I haven't found a supplier in the three minutes search I've done.
there's plenty places to order one. All you need is a pdf file of the drawing. I can ask for the pdf drawing.
I don't know if everyone wants arcs and it's worth to hassle Tcb with more than the pdf file available.
Honestly it seems we're getting a lot already, and arcs talk bring a sinister feeling to this contest idea. At least to me : )

53 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

that's interesting. I had a look online, it seems a wood stencil for a design of the size of a pocket arc is 15 euros +/-, a hard paper stencil like the one on the Fc pic would probably cost less, but I haven't found a supplier in the three minutes search I've done.
there's plenty places to order one. All you need is a pdf file of the drawing. I can ask for the pdf drawing.
I don't know if everyone wants arcs and it's worth to hassle Tcb with more than the pdf file available.
Honestly it seems we're getting a lot already, and arcs talk bring a sinister feeling to this contest idea. At least to me : )

A screen printer friend of mine has/uses one (most highstreet screen printer/sign maker/vehicle graphic joints use them) he uses it for cutting MacTac (vinyl) which is very inexpensive and could work perfectly for this application because it's self adhesive so you peal off the backing and stick the stencils down to the back pocket while the jeans are still raw which helps keep it in place while you're using it, once done you just peal it away and it leaves no sticky residue.

Edit- Whatever is decided.. I would test the theory first, buying a sample will only cost a couple of ££ and you'll know for sure, if you want to avoid any possible 'fiasco' the stencils are secondary, provided by a forum member or somebody other than TCB.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Okey, this is going to be a special [contest] run right?!  Practically,  jeans are not going to be sold in a store or on an online website. Product will be shipped individually to us, directly.

Frankly,  I’m not savvy to the particulars of the  Levi’s lawsuit,  so I am merely asking ... does this jeans project fall into, technically or otherwise, any of the “ban” criteria?

Anyway, if it does, the template @Double 0 Soul was suggesting is a feasible option.  In BiG X FC X SuFu contest, all we had were paper templates of the arc [L/R] & a couple of red tabs.   It was up to us to either leave the pocket/s blank or DIY paint/stitch the arc/s &/or tab:laugh2: 

17 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

Nah it won't happen. Hajime doesn't like the idea of using traditional Japanese fabrics for jeans. It's far fetched from his aesthetic I think and I remember it was a hard no when I asked him to consider kendo fabric for the 20s contest jeans pockets.

How about an Inden-ya deerskin patch :ph34r::laugh:

The more I think about, the more I’d be inclined to not give TCB the grief of having to think about arcs whatsoever. 

Is Levi’s monitoring Japanese denim makers? Probably. Could they screw a business the size of TCB? Absolutely. Even having his jeans out there with arcs we’ve painted could make him nervous. I know that’s super-cautious, but he’s sorting us out with a pair of jeans and that’s good enough for me. 

I love all the ideas being bandied about, it's really exciting. Embarrassingly, this is going to be my 1st TCB but especially after watching the Hajime & Ryo interview i'm both In and convinced that the various specific decisions will be really thoughtfully executed.  

For anyone who isn't aware of the "happenings" on the previous TCB contest, every single person had to return their pair of jeans to TCB for disposal due to threat of lawsuit by FC due to the arcs used. As you can imagine, this sucked for all contestants who had months of wear on their jeans who also now had to pay shipping to send them back, but was even worse for TCB who were now on the bad side of an established Osaka 5 brand (remember this is a small niche denim world). Upsetting the elders is a no go!

Personally, I'm fine without arcs or even an arc stencil. Would be cool if provided, but I'm sure TCB would like to avoid any remnant of that headache! It'd also help keep the timeline on schedule. :cool:

Plain pockets is probably best. We can maybe (among ourselves) have a separate project of making stencils to paint arcs.

Edited by JDelage

1 hour ago, unders said:

The more I think about, the more I’d be inclined to not give TCB the grief of having to think about arcs whatsoever. 

Is Levi’s monitoring Japanese denim makers? Probably. Could they screw a business the size of TCB? Absolutely. Even having his jeans out there with arcs we’ve painted could make him nervous. I know that’s super-cautious, but he’s sorting us out with a pair of jeans and that’s good enough for me. 

23 minutes ago, aho said:

For anyone who isn't aware of the "happenings" on the previous TCB contest, every single person had to return their pair of jeans to TCB for disposal due to threat of lawsuit by FC due to the arcs used. As you can imagine, this sucked for all contestants who had months of wear on their jeans who also now had to pay shipping to send them back, but was even worse for TCB who were now on the bad side of an established Osaka 5 brand (remember this is a small niche denim world). Upsetting the elders is a no go!

Personally, I'm fine without arcs or even an arc stencil. Would be cool if provided, but I'm sure TCB would like to avoid any remnant of that headache! It'd also help keep the timeline on schedule. :cool:

^ this and ^^ this^. I will just ask the pdf file, check if they have any facility for stencils, and won't insist if the lads are not sure about it.

Honestly, let's not go there. If anyone's bothered they can make their own stencil. If the design looks vageuly levi's ish, they might hassle Inoue-San, and the people who own Evisu are absolute arseholes and there's a chance of them weighing in, too. Better to spend out energy on a nice leather patch and some groovy cotton ticking for the pockets.

Happy to go with the flow on this, I’m not precious about arcs, I don’t even know if I’ll buy the jeans until I see the measurements! I thought I’d ask though and if I do get them I’ll probably go for a DIY stencil approach. Thanks for the input though peeps and especially Volvo.

EDIT: I’d still be happy to have TCB-painted cat arcs though, if available :biggrin: 

Edited by Maynard Friedman

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

One of the features I like about WW2 jeans is the painted arcs. Do you think we could ask for those back pocket stencils with the holes that you simply dab paint on to create your own arcs?

Yes, but...

4 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

^ this... [x a lot ... delete, delete, delete ... no speaking of their name from me... consider that pic thread pollution in my overly sensitive state... ]

srsly / ahem... no arcs needed at this end: cut and fabric most important... [plus of course the new jacket; if listening @TCBINOUE - pls make sure body length not too modern [ie long] ie kept to around 60cm for a sz.44, and perhaps also consider a jelt chore jacket in ww2 style: ie a donut button two pocket version, my esp. favorite is the Lee Loco ww2: one left chest pocket, one lower right patch pocket...]

but appreciate @Double 0 Soul's technical advice: question is getting them templates [and advising on correct paint] to ppl... [not a tcb responsibility imo, and no cat ears for me pls... ]

Yeah, I’m all for defaulting to no arcs or other pocket stitching / painting

If I end up joining, there’s a good chance I’ll end up painting arcs on myself for the full effect—will be happy to share whatever stencil template I come up with if so