TCB

On 4/25/2018 at 12:25 AM, MJF9 said:

^ cheers chaps... the plan is to get some  more wear in from now through the summer (alongside my Ooe and Roy) and try to avoid washing (the 20s, not me, that is).

I couldn't resist some new suspenders / braces for holding up my trousers too... I know opinions are polarised but I do like them... will post fit pics when I get a minute...

2018-04-24 19.53.05.jpg

Those look good. I am curious if they have any stretch as I am trying to imagine how they function otherwise. 

^ I'm not sure if that is strictly true.

The fabric becomes denser as it shrinks and as a result heavier by area, but the jeans are reduced in size overall. They (per pair) weigh as much as they did but are reduced in volume. 

1 hour ago, i_denim said:

Those look good. I am curious if they have any stretch as I am trying to imagine how they function otherwise. 

You just adjust them to the right length to keep your jeans where you want them and that provides the necessary tension to hold your jeans up. When you sit down the suspenders slacken off and thereby automatically preserve your crown jewels. All very functional.

On my leather pair, the back does have some elastic but it's firm with only a little stretch. Not sure why it's needed though - maybe helps those who grow humps or large traps and have fixed length suspenders!!! Or if someone tries to pull your trousers down. Suppose it gives that extra flex if needed.

I know they're not for everyone but I really like braces / suspenders and always have. In fact, I'd encourage greater use!! I wear them with jeans that are a little oversized and higher rise so they're actually of functional value rather than just cosmetic. They feel great. No gut tension. Free as a bird. Liberating. Reassuring pressure on your shoulders. When people stare, smile back confidently and any inhibitions are instantly overcome :D

8 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

^ I'm not sure if that is strictly true.

The fabric becomes denser as it shrinks and as a result heavier by area, but the jeans are reduced in size overall. They (per pair) weigh as much as they did but are reduced in volume. 

Yes, that's correct. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Since the "weight" of a fabric is usually taken to refer to its density, I was using "heavier" to mean more dense.

daisy mae?

check

popped into american classics in yee olde london town looked for one (previously they have had buzz ricks versions), and unbeknownst to me, [edit] they made claim to be sole traders of tcb in uk [edit; fact checking to commence], so had decent stock of tcb, and especially a good range of sizes of le 30s hats...

a large, def. measures around 60cm, shrinks a bit (subjected to soak and 30 degree wash n rinse) but stretches back easy...

some raw shots, and a post wash shot: the printed 'L' all but gone, and a lot of fraying going on... a pleasant roughness

a rarity; fit pix avec visage, but in the light of these jolly archival pix from french cancan (admittedly from a post made to promote dear grandmaster cap constructor papa nui) it would be rude not to...

channelling 'utility-resort in rapture' (raw and rather large) and 'byronic-moronic' (cooked and more digestible)

fitting notes: be not afraid of sizing tight to size (i talk to volvo here) ... personally i am sick of just too small hats...

IMG_9572.jpg

IMG_9573.jpg

IMG_9574.jpg

IMG_9594.jpg

fcancan.jpg

fcancan1.jpg

fcancan2.png

y001 fit.jpg

y002 fit.png

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Ahoy bartleby... nice cop with plenty of jaunty angle options.

I have an RMC one that over the years has been the sun and beach hat that I can treat mean but always rely on. The TCB daisy maes, however, look less 'wavy' which I see as a good thing.

Some great shops and selections in London right now... I heard a rumour Clutch Cafe was getting CSF in stock soon.

thanks all

the claim to sole trading status was made by them, strange to make such a claim, my error to report... [yes, was aware of SOAS - where i first encountered tcb in search for sda 50s style... assumed their trading arrangement was ended as they had never got any 20s in, but quick-check & seems like they have lots of stock... wasn't aware of simons nor of clutch cafe; the radar expands... &&& initial post edited - apologies again for error]

fabric does shrink but is definitely stretchy and will probably stretch beyond original size; i sized for comfort, but realise i could have gone a size down easily

have been having experience of a hat with a really stiff band that is just 1cm under comfort but hasn't budged; this is much more mobile; so 58 for a 58 should do you just fine volvo; i think it will shrink below and pop right back - what size was inoue recommending again?

with first day of wear, i experience how susceptible it is to gusts of wind blowing off the head; so in lieu of a boonie / giggle-hat-style under chin strap some gripping tightness is preferable - have actually just gently pinched and stitched the band in places to remedy, not most elegant solution but a daisy mae is a rough and ready thing... [looking to get a patch or badges to rival the uncle...]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

17 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

with first day of wear, i experience how susceptible it is to gusts of wind blowing off the head; so in lieu of a boonie / giggle-hat-style under chin strap some gripping tightness is preferable - have actually just gently pinched and stitched the band in places to remedy, not most elegant solution but a daisy mae is a rough and ready thing... [looking to get a patch or badges to rival the uncle...]

Yeah, that's exactly the issue I've been having. Maybe I'll try your method, or just avoid wearing it on a windy beach.

Got my 50s jacket today, did one warm soak for about an hour.

https://imgur.com/a/Dzxv3bx

This is what the jacket looks like now. I was just wondering, should I wash it in the machine right away or should I wait? I'm happy with how it fits now and I'm a bit worried it might get too tight around the waist if I wash it. On the other hand, when I do need to wash it in the future I'm a bit worried that it might shrink then. What do you guys think?

9 hours ago, MJF9 said:

So then @i_denim are you planning to embrace this suspenders malarky or still unsure?

Cheers Mate! I already wear suspenders 6 days a week. Only difference is I currently wear them as 'internal' suspenders. I started last winter by wearing them over a t-shirt and then leaving a denim shirt open on top. With summers here, they quickly became internal suspenders under my tees. I do have a nice pair of TCB tat has suspender buttons but I am yet to buy a good pair of suspenders to go with them. But I refuse to be out and about without suspenders now. I recently managed to climb up into Egyptian pyramids in record time 'cuz I wan't pulling my jeans up unlike the rest of them :)

7 hours ago, Maio said:

Got my 50s jacket today, did one warm soak for about an hour.

https://imgur.com/a/Dzxv3bx

This is what the jacket looks like now. I was just wondering, should I wash it in the machine right away or should I wait? I'm happy with how it fits now and I'm a bit worried it might get too tight around the waist if I wash it. On the other hand, when I do need to wash it in the future I'm a bit worried that it might shrink then. What do you guys think?

Give it a machine wash, and a tumble dry in case you want to use the dryer in the future. You have room to let the jacket shrink a bit more.

8 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

ave been having experience of a hat with a really stiff band that is just 1cm under comfort but hasn't budged; this is much more mobile; so 58 for a 58 should do you just fine volvo; i think it will shrink below and pop right back - what size was inoue recommending again?

He was suggesting a M, which seems the way to go...

3 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

Give it a machine wash, and a tumble dry in case you want to use the dryer in the future. You have room to let the jacket shrink a bit more.

Haha ok I'll do that. How should I wash it? 40 degrees, no spin cycle and no detergent? :)

@volvo240thebest 100% agree; it could even stretch bigger than 58, but i think is supposed to be sloppy style, unless worn like those jaunty fellas from above: they are def. sizing down and perching atop their head

i am going to also experiment with wrapped bandana padding beneath for windy days: channeling sicario or sushi chef, depending on mood...

10 hours ago, Maio said:

Haha ok I'll do that. How should I wash it? 40 degrees, no spin cycle and no detergent? :)

Just chuck it in, inside out, 40 degrees is good. I go at it with both regular spin cycle and detergent. The 50's denim can take it.

@Maio methinx the basic math goes: do first what you gonna do for the rest of time...

gonna wash normally at 40? first wash at 40...

or 30, or 60, or whatevrar... (if feeling tentative tend to go 30 first, then 40 once really needing it... or just 40 all in... raw denim gambling...)

rinse and repeat; tcb 50s denim shrinks, but comes back ok

looking at yr fit: got room on the shoulders for shrink: collar too? to me those are the key factors...

for the gut: that what the pleats are for...