TCB

1 minute ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

quik check: strong strong tuxes on show: dont go changing...

i did the whole tux thing while i was traveling through china and taiwan for a month. 

On 12/04/2018 at 7:33 PM, heavydoom said:

that is exactly what i meant with the funky or annoying creasing.  i am not going to lose sleep over this.  it is what it is.  this won't happen of course if you wash your jeans by hand.  i see the lines with all my denim gear, not one has escaped the wrath of the front loader!!!

are you from toronto?

Ottawa :)

On 13/04/2018 at 1:07 AM, i_denim said:

Are these size 30 or 38? Your profile says size 30 but I think you typed 38 for this pair? The back rise on these looks super huge and the leg opening is rather small. Interested to find out what size are these 50s? Very flattering fit pics btw.

The worn ones are mine, im size 30. The crisp ones are new one my friend bought, he is size 38. Really flattering I agree, the fit turned out perfectly. 
Sorry about the double post! Migrating from reddit, they are bullies XD.

I haven't received any response from TCB to my last three emails since last Monday. No tracking info either. Is there any other way to reach them? This is rather strange as my previous buying experience with Rivetandhide and Okayama was excellent in terms of communication.

Edited by i_denim
spelling

4 minutes ago, tigerstrom said:

It's a pretty small operation and he might be busy but it's weird that you haven't recieved a answer yet. I pretty certain he will tho! :)

Jut received an email with the tracking number. Do they usually agree to mark it as a gift/undervalue? I did ask them to do so but they haven't mentioned if they were/weren't able to do so. Anyway, it's with India customs now and should be here in a day or two. 

Just now, i_denim said:

ut received an email with the tracking number. Do they usually agree to mark it as a gift/undervalue? I did ask them to do so but they haven't mentioned if they were/weren't able to do so. Anyway, it's with India customs now and should be here in a day or two. 

they do mark down the items if you really insist however they're not particularly fond of this procedure in fairness. I always ask for it but a good few times they either didn't understand or forgot my request and I had to pay duties.

My type II jacket just arrived from denimio, in about two weeks from ordering through customs to Finland, so I think it was rather fast. The jacket is amazing and fits just as I wanted it to fit, will be perfect after adjusting the measurements by washing. Huge thanks to everyone who helped me with sizing, it is only a shame that I didn't purchase this jacket 2 years ago! Wuold you guys have any tips to washing? Straight to the washer/bathtub or week or so of wear before washing?

2 hours ago, Henkka said:

My type II jacket just arrived from denimio, in about two weeks from ordering through customs to Finland, so I think it was rather fast. The jacket is amazing and fits just as I wanted it to fit, will be perfect after adjusting the measurements by washing. Huge thanks to everyone who helped me with sizing, it is only a shame that I didn't purchase this jacket 2 years ago! Wuold you guys have any tips to washing? Straight to the washer/bathtub or week or so of wear before washing?

Nice congrats! What size did you get and how tall are you if I may ask? :)

3 hours ago, Henkka said:

Wuold you guys have any tips to washing? Straight to the washer/bathtub or week or so of wear before washing?

I assume you got the raw version. It depends on how tight it is right now/how much do you want it to shrink. Either a simple soak with warm water or a soak + spin through the washing machine with no detergent or soak + spin + dryer. If you want to get rid of most shrink a soak + spin in the washing machine will give you extra peace of mind for further machine washes later on.

9 hours ago, Maio said:

Nice congrats! What size did you get and how tall are you if I may ask? :)

Thanks Maio! I went with 44 raw, I'm 188 cm tall and weigh about 90 kilograms with athletic build. Love the high armholes and slim, but not skinny fit of this one. I can post some fit pics after I get some taken.

9 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

I assume you got the raw version. It depends on how tight it is right now/how much do you want it to shrink. Either a simple soak with warm water or a soak + spin through the washing machine with no detergent or soak + spin + dryer. If you want to get rid of most shrink a soak + spin in the washing machine will give you extra peace of mind for further machine washes later on.

Yes, I went with the raw version. My idea was getting rid of most of the vertical shrink at least for setting the creases. Think I'm gonna throw it in the washer for cold wash first and see how it goes from there. May I ask why do you use spin with the wash? Doesn't it create the "funky" fades discussed here a bit earlier?

2 hours ago, Henkka said:

Yes, I went with the raw version. My idea was getting rid of most of the vertical shrink at least for setting the creases. Think I'm gonna throw it in the washer for cold wash first and see how it goes from there. May I ask why do you use spin with the wash? Doesn't it create the "funky" fades discussed here a bit earlier?

agitation is what makes the fabric shrink. what makes creases in my experience is too little water, not too much agitation.

3 hours ago, Henkka said:

Thanks Maio! I went with 44 raw, I'm 188 cm tall and weigh about 90 kilograms with athletic build. Love the high armholes and slim, but not skinny fit of this one. I can post some fit pics after I get some taken.

I do believe it is spin that causes marbling; turn them inside out if you want to minimise (personally, I do initial cold wash and brief spin inside out, then normal washes normal way round).

17 hours ago, Henkka said:

I just bought the same. Here are my results from an hour warm/hot soak in the tub with a few minutes of agitation and a hang dry. Sorry, it's size 40, but probably gives you a good idea! On one hand, I feel like it is probably only about 75% shrunk. On the other, it's already smaller than a 40" chest! It measured about that while raw... Just cold washes from now on...

IMO, I'd at least hot soak it before putting any wear into it. The difference in numbers are small for the most part, but overall, the jacket did shrink a considerable amount compared to how it fit beforehand.

• Before / After:
  • Chest: 20.1" / 19.6"
  • Shoulder (front, seam to seam): 18" / 17.7"
  • Shoulder (rear): 18.7" / 18"
  • Front length: 24" / 23.6"
  • Rear length: 29.2" / 28.5"
  • Sleeve (measured from top of shoulder seam): 27" / 26.4"
  • Elbow: 6.5" / 6.4"
  • Wrist: 5" / 4.9"

Edit: just measured the chest again for fun, to see where things were at after about a week of wear. I've stretched it out to 21"! Of course, this is buttoned and flattened, beyond the long "V-shape" seams down the sides of the jacket. I've been making an effort to stretch out the chest area of the jacket, as it's the only part that fit me a little too slim for my tastes (kinda pulls at the button/pleats.)

Edited by enojy

5 hours ago, Henkka said:

Nice! Would love to see some pics as I'm similar in height and weight to you and also looking to get one of those jackets :)

Hi guys I am thinking about a pair of tcb50. Just wondering whether Resolute 710 or the Levi’s 55 would be something I should consider too?  Does anyone have any experience with these three models?  I currently own the Boncoura XX. 

29 minutes ago, vexed_wear said:

Hi guys I am thinking about a pair of tcb50. Just wondering whether Resolute 710 or the Levi’s 55 would be something I should consider too?  Does anyone have any experience with these three models?  I currently own the Boncoura XX. 

I have the TCB and LVC 55 and love them both.

The fabric on the LVC is more authentic; the TCB exaggerates the graininess of the fabric. the TCB has mostly better detailing, for instance the red rayon tag, and they nearly always get nicer puckering on the seams and traintracks. TCB has some errors in construction, the yoke is the wrong shape. Surprisingly similar fit. If I were buying right now I'd probably go for LVC, as the denim is Cone - and that will soon be gone, so it's a Last Chance Saloon jobby, end of an era etc. But they're both great.

Hwe are some comparison pix. TCB on left throughout I think.

I think @beautiful_FrEaK has the 710 and @engine has the 711?

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02771.jpg

DSC02773.jpg

Edited by Paul T

@Paul T I do have the 710 and they are far from the TCB 50s (which denim I know because I own the TCB jacket) and also the LVC 55. The Resolute 710 is different both in denim and fit. The 710 has a quite regular denim with a pronounced twill and also a rather pale indigo shade. The fit is also quite slim and tapered and therefore totally different from the LVC and TCB.

28 minutes ago, Paul T said:

I have the TCB and LVC 55 and love them both.

The fabric on the LVC is more authentic; the TCB exaggerates the graininess of the fabric. the TCB has mostly better detailing, for instance the red rayon tag, and they nearly always get nicer puckering on the seams and traintracks. TCB has some errors in construction, the yoke is the wrong shape. Surprisingly similar fit. If I were buying right now I'd probably go for LVC, as the denim is Cone - and that will soon be gone, so it's a Last Chance Saloon jobby, end of an era etc. But they're both great.

Hwe are some comparison pix. TCB on left throughout I think.

I think @beautiful_FrEaK has the 710 and @engine has the 711?

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02771.jpg

DSC02773.jpg

Thank you for a super informative post Paul. I think I chatted you before via email a year back. Would love to get my hand on all of them.  Shame about cone mill.  I hope it won’t disrupt lvc workflow. 

7 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

@Paul T I do have the 710 and they are far from the TCB 50s (which denim I know because I own the TCB jacket) and also the LVC 55. The Resolute 710 is different both in denim and fit. The 710 has a quite regular denim with a pronounced twill and also a rather pale indigo shade. The fit is also quite slim and tapered and therefore totally different from the LVC and TCB.

Thank you for the informative reply. It’s good to know as I thought the 710 was more of a wider 50 type jeans.  Would love to get a hold of Resolute one day. 

21 hours ago, vexed_wear said:

Thank you for the informative reply. It’s good to know as I thought the 710 was more of a wider 50 type jeans.  Would love to get a hold of Resolute one day. 

if you're going for a 50s homage jeans you should further inspect Resolute 711 rather than 710. The 710 is more of a Levi's 66 repro both in terms of fit and detailing.

Regarding the quest for the most authentic 50s jeans repro, personally I don't care much about this, I rather enjoy to see what individual brands come up in terms of an homage to a specific jeans era and model. Each brand emphasizes one or more details (both in fabric, fit and construction). Tcb's take on the 50s 501 cut certainly highlights the puckering on seams and the graininess of denim. Resolute jeans, for what I can see from photos online (I don't own a pair as of yet) tend to emphasize on other aspects (leg twist, and dramatic offset back yoke construction). None of these brands emphasizes on reproducing an authentic period correct fit to me. I may be wrong though, I'd like to hear what others have to say re this. 

8 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

if you're going for a 50s homage jeans you should further inspect Resolute 711 rather than 710. The 710 is more of a Levi's 66 repro both in terms of fit and detailing.

Regarding the quest for the most authentic 50s jeans repro, personally I don't care much about this, I rather enjoy to see what individual brands come up in terms of an homage to a specific jeans era and model. Each brand emphasizes one or more details (both in fabric, fit and construction). Tcb's take on the 50s 501 cut certainly highlights the puckering on seams and the graininess of denim. Resolute jeans, for what I can see from photos online (I don't own a pair as of yet) tend to emphasize on other aspects (leg twist, and dramatic offset back yoke construction). None of these brands emphasizes on reproducing an authentic period correct fit to me. I may be wrong though, I'd like to hear what others have to say re this. 

Point well taken.  Thank you for the detail analysis. I just want to try/have them all really!  There is TCB and Resolute stock in Bangkok so I’m going to give it a go