TCB

7 hours ago, Maio said:

Here's some fit pics! https://imgur.com/a/2GP5G 

First two are of my 505's which I love. Last three of 50s. They are just too baggy everywhere. Funnily enough, it feels like they have a lower rise than my 505s which is quite strange. 

have your 50's been washed in hot water and tumble dried?  they may shrink some more after those procedures.  also, it's fine to embrace the loose fit once in a while.

@Maio if the waist/rise fits well then I think a simple hem would make your 50s look much much better. A short, trim cuff can do a lot to make the silhouette go from bagginess to a classic straight. The fabric will just drape differently. My 50s also shrank over time. This may also just be me but I like extra fabric in the thigh area. I never have any due to my thunder things which means I never get the long diagonal fades along the thigh. If you're unaccustomed to the wider fit, just think instead about the splendid fades you’ll be able to get because of it!

@Maio I personally don't think they look bad on you, the denim is completely new and it takes some wear to make it drape.

this is how the same jeans looked on me when new

this is how they look when worn

I'd say you only need to get used to it and the jeans need to be worn and washed a few times to soften and drape properly, but if you're horrified by how they look on you right now then ask for an exchange to a different model.

Edited by volvo240thebest

10 hours ago, kbuzz said:

What’s the rise likenon the 505s?

They have a high rise.

5 hours ago, heavydoom said:

have your 50's been washed in hot water and tumble dried?  they may shrink some more after those procedures.  also, it's fine to embrace the loose fit once in a while.

It's the one wash jean. I haven't washed them myself since I won't be able to return them if I do.

2 hours ago, LQW said:

@Maio if the waist/rise fits well then I think a simple hem would make your 50s look much much better. A short, trim cuff can do a lot to make the silhouette go from bagginess to a classic straight. The fabric will just drape differently. My 50s also shrank over time. This may also just be me but I like extra fabric in the thigh area. I never have any due to my thunder things which means I never get the long diagonal fades along the thigh. If you're unaccustomed to the wider fit, just think instead about the splendid fades you’ll be able to get because of it!

Yeah maybe, the problem to me is that there's too much fabric over the thighs as well. It looks like when I used to wear baggy jeans in my "hiphop" period when I was 15 :) I don't mind a bigger fit in general but this is too much. Oh well... Think I might try the 60s next. It's a bit of a pain ordering from Japan though.

2 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

@Maio I personally don't think they look bad on you, the denim is completely new and it takes some wear to make it drape.

this is how the same jeans looked on me when new

this is how they look when worn

I'd say you only need to get used to it and the jeans need to be worn and washed a few times to soften and drape properly, but if you're horrified by how they look on you right now then ask for an exchange to a different model.

Hi Volvo! Wow that's a huge difference!! Did you have the unwashed denim?

yes they were raw at first, and on top of that in the first pic I was even 3 kilos fatter than in the second pic (93/90 kilos). The difference IMO depends more by the wear on jeans than anything else, the 50s fabric is somewhat stiff, doesn't fold and drape naturally right off the bat. IIRC the jeans started to drape naturally after about one month of wear.

If I were you I'd persist, the 50s are worth it, but it's a personal choice so if you "hate" the way you look when wearing them now just return them. Also, either a shorter folded cuff or a hem will help to make them look a bit "smarter".

2 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

yes they were raw at first, and on top of that in the first pic I was even 3 kilos fatter than in the second pic (93/90 kilos). The difference IMO depends more by the wear on jeans than anything else, the 50s fabric is somewhat stiff, doesn't fold and drape naturally right off the bat. IIRC the jeans started to drape naturally after about one month of wear.

If I were you I'd persist, the 50s are worth it, but it's a personal choice so if you "hate" the way you look when wearing them now just return them. Also, either a shorter folded cuff or a hem will help to make them look a bit "smarter".

Yeah I think if I had the raw version of the pant I would be more keen on keeping them since I could expect some shrinkage. With the one wash I'm not so sure. There's quite a big difference in the thigh area of your pair from the first and second photo. I think they look amazing on you on the second pic.

the thigh may also look slimmer because in between the two pics I had the crotch mended and when that is done usually the thigh fits a bit slimmer.

well then try the 60s, but beware the front and rear rise will be much shorter than the 505/50s, but the thigh will be a lot slimmer, there is one full inch of difference in thigh between 50s and 60s on a size 36, I guess it will be even a smidgen more than that on a 38.

1 minute ago, volvo240thebest said:

the thigh may also look slimmer because in between the two pics I had the crotch mended and when that is done usually the thigh fits a bit slimmer.

well then try the 60s, but beware the front and rear rise will be much shorter than the 505/50s, but the thigh will be a lot slimmer, there is one full inch of difference in thigh between 50s and 60s on a size 36, I guess it will be even a smidgen more than that on a 38.

Oh ok, yeah that might be it then! 

Yeah I might do, feel a bit skeptical when you say that the rise is much shorter though. That's the problem, I like the rise of the 50s and 505. I wish they did a tapered model of the 50s which kept the high rise :/ Or a raw version of the 505s would be cool too!

1 minute ago, Maio said:

Yeah I might do, feel a bit skeptical when you say that the rise is much shorter though. That's the problem, I like the rise of the 50s and 505. I wish they did a tapered model of the 50s which kept the high rise :/ Or a raw version of the 505s would be cool too!

505 is a repro cut of one of the very first cuts that Levi's made with a sanforized denim, hence a raw version will never be made...

re a slim 50s cut with higher rise and slimmer leg, this will be done in the future, just not now. I've asked about it a while ago and Inoue said it is possible. 

1 hour ago, volvo240thebest said:

505 is a repro cut of one of the very first cuts that Levi's made with a sanforized denim, hence a raw version will never be made...

re a slim 50s cut with higher rise and slimmer leg, this will be done in the future, just not now. I've asked about it a while ago and Inoue said it is possible. 

Oh allright! Hmmm I wonder if I should wait for a bit then. Still have to get a denim jacket as well ;) I might try a pair of 60s. Gonna have a think!

Grazie come sempre Volvo!

On 4/3/2018 at 1:45 AM, Collin said:

Another trip to the washing machine and a little bit of dryer. I'm really happy with how those 50slim are turning !

HSWPAmSh.jpg

eWtrvn9h.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

eOpTYQLh.jpg

NsLPeNkh.jpg

AH6rhyih.jpg

Wow! amazing work my friend! do you wash it regularly? how many washes until you reach this state? machine or hand wash?

2 hours ago, erk said:

Shoes make a big difference in how jeans fit as well. 

true, when I first bought my 50s I've started to buy chunkier boots. Engineer boots work very well w the 50s.

3 hours ago, superheavent said:

Wow! amazing work my friend! do you wash it regularly? how many washes until you reach this state? machine or hand wash?

They were one wash when new. I hot hand washed in my tub at around 1 month mark with detergent then machine washed and dry approx. every 30 wears.

16 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

THIS THIS THIS THIS ....

but not a lifters cut....slimmer straight

On 3/30/2018 at 4:18 AM, McCol said:

TCB50SJKT TCB 50'S JAKET / DENIM JKT TYPE 2ND

Size 42, Non-Wash

My measurements:

IMG_6731.thumb.jpg.23e5c7bcacd52cede5e362f467d87736.jpgIMG_6729.thumb.jpg.b8f51a3bfb08a21ddcd86bee0249dafe.jpgIMG_6732.thumb.jpg.055823e17d8a79d175b335428d0f0905.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

Thanks for the detailed measurements! I was about to shit myself until I read that you had already hot soaked the jacket-- I just ordered a 40 the other night and if these were raw measurements, then I'd be in a little trouble. 

Really looking forward to receiving it. I'm getting back into denim after quite the hiatus, and I've grown to love the story of TCB, even if I don't mess with most of their aesthetic. Also being an owner/lover of two cats has proven to be insanely influential. 

Edited by enojy

On 4/4/2018 at 2:38 PM, volvo240thebest said:

I was debating between TCB 505 vs the 50s Slims earlier today and felt the same way. Looks like I like the 50s slim fit except the rise is better on 505. I am in if they ever decide to produce this.

@volvo240thebest Since you have extensive experience with TCB, I am asking you directly. Others, please feel free to chime in as well.

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier. I just read at least 50 pages of this thread and can't understand TCB fits. I am interested in the TCB 50s slim and am a true 37 waist so I checked with Denimio. They recommended tag size 36 and that it will become 37.8 post wash. Does that sound accurate? When I asked them for TCB 60s, they recommended tag size 38. I thought it should be other way around and the slims should fit more snug?

Also, the rise in my size is 11 inches so not terribly low as I read through a lot of posts in this thread?

If the 50s Slims aren't a great fit as most people find the rise to be too low and the taper to be too aggressive, what is their next pair of slim fitting jeans? Slim straight will be fine, don't really need a tapered leg.

Edited by i_denim
edited

I felt bad and changed my mind, anyways I would love to pick up one of those 50 slims with a high rise or whatever TCB is cooking up!  That sounds like the ideal pair for me.  Also do they still come with tab in coin pocket?

Edited by serotonin flood

1 hour ago, i_denim said:

@volvo240thebest Since you have extensive experience with TCB, I am asking you directly. Others, please feel free to chime in as well.

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier. I just read at least 50 pages of this thread and can't understand TCB fits. I am interested in the TCB 50s slim and am a true 37 waist so I checked with Denimio. They recommended tag size 36 and that it will become 37.8 post wash. Does that sound accurate? When I asked them for TCB 60s, they recommended tag size 38. I thought it should be other way around and the slims should fit more snug?

Also, the rise in my size is 11 inches so not terribly low as I read through a lot of posts in this thread?

If the 50s Slims aren't a great fit as most people find the rise to be too low and the taper to be too aggressive, what is their next pair of slim fitting jeans? Slim straight will be fine, don't really need a tapered leg.

A sized down 50s will be slim. Otherwise there is no high rise slim option from TCB. So if you measure 37 ; order a 36. The waistband will stretch out. 

Edit: I don’t know about the rises on the 505 or super slims 

Edited by erk

@i_denim my true waist measurement (at belly button) is a 29.5 ish. I have a size 29 in the 50s, size 29 in 50s Slim (honestly I could size down to a 28 for waist and stretch, but the legs would be absurdly slim. I could also size up if I wanted a looser fit. The waist on the Slims ends up larger because of the low rise)  and I have size 30 in the 60s. The 60s do indeed run smaller in the waist than the 50s, but I also feel like the top block is similar for both. Sizing up to 30 gave me a good waist fit, but are looser all around. I could've gotten a 29 in the 60s, but it wouldve been absolutely killer after every wash and dry. If you sized the 60s without going up, you may get the fit you want. You could try to control the shrink in the waist band by putting some in there to Keep that part from shrinking. Hope this helps a little. Sizing can be tricky.

Edited by istewi

Thanks @istewi and @erk

That helps a lot. I think I may to have pass the 50s slim as that narrow leg opening with a 37 size waist is unlikely to be a good look.

which of 50s/60s/505 would have the slimmer legs? I think I will go with that.

i am getting suspender buttons installed so minor sizing errors won’t bother me as I plan to go a bit vintage at work with tucked in dress shirts and suspenders.

Edited by i_denim

1 hour ago, erk said:

I think the 60s and 505 would look pretty weird with suspenders. 

It didn't occur to me. I always though Jeans started off with suspenders much before belts were invented. I was planning to install "No Sew" metal buttons on all my pairs and get a few suspenders. I will have to research this now, thanks for bringing it up. And this may be a more appropriate discussion in another thread so I don't want to hijack the TCB thread.

yeah, consider the 20s. 

I think those look marvelous on skinny/lean guys with waist size between 30-32. At size 36, they will look like baggy jeans. It doesn't help that I am short (5"9') and fat (87kg). But I am still reviewing pictures of the 20s.

Edited by i_denim

@beautiful_FrEaK I am leaning heavily towards TCB 505 and I read many pages ago that you had Botha sizing issue and a waistband made from different denim. Any idea if that continues to be an issue? I wrote to TCB about sizing and they are recommending size 38 for my actual 37 waist. 

Am pretty sure I want to pull the trigger in the next few hours as 505 isn't as slim/low rise as the 50s slim and not wide like 50s/60s/20s.

7 hours ago, i_denim said:

I think those look marvelous on skinny/lean guys with waist size between 30-32. At size 36, they will look like baggy jeans. It doesn't help that I am short (5"9') and fat (87kg). But I am still reviewing pictures of the 20s.

You have about the same height weight ratio as me, I am 3 cm higher and 1 kg heavier than you. The 20s are not baggy. If you want to rock suspenders they are the best choice.

Suspender buttons on the 60s will look ridiculous because the front rise is too low for suspenders.

Suspenders excluded I think the closest fit to what you have in mind are the 505. The rise is about 12 inches and the hem width is about 8.5..

10 minutes ago, i_denim said:

@beautiful_FrEaK I am leaning heavily towards TCB 505 and I read many pages ago that you had Botha sizing issue and a waistband made from different denim. Any idea if that continues to be an issue? I wrote to TCB about sizing and they are recommending size 38 for my actual 37 waist. 

Am pretty sure I want to pull the trigger in the next few hours as 505 isn't as slim/low rise as the 50s slim and not wide like 50s/60s/20s.

With your waist circumference and height weight ratio you would fit better in a pair of 36 imho. My waist is a smidgen bigger than yours and I'm 36on all the cuts