TCB

just chiming in

tcb50s

fu kk y e a h

great top box (waist sized juuust on size of comfortable snug tts)

crazy wide hem whilst retaining straight fit proportions

initial hairy beezonkin' crazy then

fade structure masterpiece (i found it slow, then avalanche; i do a middling wash regime... def. not monthly but not 6 monthly)

soft fabric but with good density 

and easyeasyeasy to wear

mine was bought with a short hem; can recommend as such

Would anybody care to help with some sizing advice for a TCB denim ranchman? 

have the measurements on the TCB site been accurate? 

I'm a 40R suit size and a medium in basic american clothing.  

Edited by erk

Tcb measures chest 360 degrees style from the inside, not pit to pit so bear in mind that when you check the sizing chart.

As a rule of thumb size up one from your standard chest size unless you want the super slim look.

4 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

liking the Marxist lingo here...

nice!

trying to expand terminology beyond 'peasant' to that which is beneath naming itself (that which is "excreted from the class structure and onto the scrapheap..." - certainly the dek deck shoes to which i refer are beneath naming on this board...)

although that italian thinker of the hegemonic, dear antonio gramsci, has some interesting descriptions of the peasant: "[t]he peasant has always lived outside the domain of the law, without a legal personality, without moral individuality: he has remained an anarchic element, the independent atom in a chaotic tumult, held back only by fear of the carabiniere and of the devil."

such a extra-legalistic and tumultuous figuration is certainly the anti-thesis of the one who looks forlornly backwards to a fantasmatic agrarian past of artisanal plenitude...

apologies for digression...

@erk

I picked up the denim ranchman in a 40. Measurements are:

pit to pit - 52cm

shoulder to shoulder- 46cm

Shoulder to cuff - 62cm

bottom collar to bottom (back) - 71cm

Hopefully that's pretty close to the webstore. 

Also just to flag that on mine the bottom button is quite high which would cause issues if tucked in (I tend to  wear open and unbuttoned anyway). It measures 43cm from the top button. Not sure if they put an extra one on later runs or I'm sure Inuoe would put one on if you ask. 

4 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

nice!

trying to expand terminology beyond 'peasant' to that which is beneath naming itself (that which is "excreted from the class structure and onto the scrapheap..." - certainly the dek deck shoes to which i refer are beneath naming on this board...)

although that italian thinker of the hegemonic, dear antonio gramsci, has some interesting descriptions of the peasant: "[t]he peasant has always lived outside the domain of the law, without a legal personality, without moral individuality: he has remained an anarchic element, the independent atom in a chaotic tumult, held back only by fear of the carabiniere and of the devil."

such a extra-legalistic and tumultuous figuration is certainly the anti-thesis of the one who looks forlornly backwards to a fantasmatic agrarian past of artisanal plenitude...

apologies for digression...

not only interesting in the context of @volvo240thebest's claims of being one of these subject (as so adequately described by Gramsci) but also in the context of Trump's and his Cohorts' claims of being non-elitist, working class...

After 105 days it's time to wash my 50's for the first time since shrinking! Curious to see what happens to the colour, have heard that they don't loose much of it.IMG_20171214_112330.thumb.jpg.c51c4833ec3d538337baa36bf48d1e45.jpg

Edited by sk8eddie
More text

On 11/12/2017 at 7:58 PM, volvo240thebest said:

^ > white socks steeze fkk y e a h <

:D

I think bartles only wears those out of a post-modernist ironic penchant for the late 1970s/early 1980s, with specific reference to the ska scene of the time. Expect his future WAYWT posts to include tasselled loafers and pork pie hats.

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I think bartles only wears those out of a post-modernist ironic penchant for the late 1970s/early 1980s, with specific reference to the ska scene of the time. Expect his future WAYWT posts to include tasselled loafers and pork pie hats.

^ tcb 50s + chaussettes blancs + burgundy tassels it's one of the classic bartlebologisms.

On 13 December 2017 at 3:46 PM, Foxy2 said:

not only interesting in the context of @volvo240thebest's claims of being one of these subject (as so adequately described by Gramsci) but also in the context of Trump's and his Cohorts' claims of being non-elitist, working class...

indeed. going back to marxian terminology; the lumpenprole was earlier used as a definition to distinguish the 'good' proletariat from the non-organised or counter-revolutionary 'rabble'... marx literally calls them the 'knave' class ['lump' standing for 'knave' rather than 'rag' or 'tatter']... famously calling louis bonaparte (younger brother of yee ol' god-emperor napoleon) chief of the lumpenproletariat...

19 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

15 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

^ tcb 50s + chaussettes blancs + burgundy tassels it's one of the classic bartlebologisms.

you know it! living in south london i have seen some leather pork pie hats that would make the good folk at freewheeler's lose their shit. i am on constant look-out for a good brimmed hat, and pork pie is not off that list... [i guess the hat thread must be built soon!]

and yes, 50s, tassel-fringed loafers with white socks (but more often sock-less or with striped or orange socks, worn with electric blue french work jacket) has featured strongly on the summer-bartle-repertoire

such was my first post on this thread... [memories... and thanks to all your welcomes and patiences since that time!]

1 hour ago, Aries said:

“Superdenim, immanent critique or celebration of commodity fetishism?”

There’s the essay question we all wanted but never got.

Ok – so yes; that is a good question.

Spoiler

If taken seriously:

Word-count: 4-6,000 words (excluding bibliography)

Font: size 10-12, times new roman, arial or helvetica

Indented paragraphs please.

Referencing method: Oxford

Deadline: 30th June 2018

Post in Denim Blunders thread as hidden text and as attached pdf.

Themes that could be developed include:

* Networked photography, OOTD as emerging representational code, ‘competitive photography’ and the selfie (Manovich and Tifentale)

* Digital culture interfacing with material culture

* The role of fashion and/or clothing in relation to class and/or consumption

* The shift in social composition from class to consumer culture (and back?)

* The role of online communities within post-Fordist economies

* Fashion as ‘technology of the self’ related to ‘human capital’

* Fast fashion vs slow fashion (temporalities of fashion)

* Questions of repetition, reproduction and embodied history

* Ethics of fashion system

* Fashion and anti-fashion (questions of the ‘classical’ vs the trend)

* Craft vs. Mass Production

* Georg Simmel and Thorstein Veblen’s notion of consumption in relation to identity formation (from individual-crowd antagonism to ‘conspicuous consumption’)

* Zygmunt Bauman on liquid modernity and consumption, Jean Baudrillard on consumption as a ‘system of objects’

* Paolo Virno’s notion of the immaterial labourer as ‘virtuoso’ who conducts the ‘work’ or ‘score’ of language rather than making defined products

* The inter-relation between consumption and production in contemporary material culture (the emergence of the pro-sumer)

* The role of the image in ‘spectacular’ societies: possibly look at theories of the image in Guy Debord (society is mediated by images), Jacques Lacan (we ‘assume’ an image) and Vilem Flusser (the image is ‘thickened’ in feedback from its receivers)

* The relationship of the commodity form to dirt, patina, time and wear (see Kitty Hauser’s ‘The Fingerprint of the Second Skin’, see Mary Douglas’ ‘Purity and Danger, see Peter Stallybrass ‘Marx’s Coat’, see Giorgio Agamben’s notion of profanation)

* The commodity as utopian promise and curse (as dream-work and/or nightmare) – see Walter Benjamin’s ‘Arcades Project’

* The inter-relationship of utility and luxury, aesthetics of purpose and aesthetics posed as purpose-less-ness, the historical image of worker and dandy

* Fandom and convergence culture (Henry Jenkins)

* Online forums compared to other forms of social media (see Geert Lovinck on differences between 4chan and facebook)

* Questions of consumption in sub-cultural practice (Dick Hebdige and consumption that ‘goes against the grain’ citing Voloshinov regarding ‘class-struggle’ at level of the sign, Michel de Certeau on practices of the ‘everyday’)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2015 at 12:38 AM, aho said:

Badly needed thread, thanks for creating! To contribute, here are my TCB contest jeans (crosspost) with who knows how many washes, 6 months of wear...

16194949314_cc5693b78f_z.jpg

Random thoughts but I've been bugging Inoue-san to make a WWII cut and a Type 1 jacket forever...I really hope they do so soon!

Whoaaa nice potential jeans ..any link to cope the tcb20? Aho

those are tcb 50s

https://tcbjeans.stores.jp/items/54a64374552f2ff0de0008e5

https://www.denimio.com/tcb-jeans-50s.html

If you need a hem the best way it's to buy direct from tcb as the factory doesn't charge for the hem and they make it really well (peep the roping ^). Rather than using the japanese online shop just send Inoue an email tcbinoueATgmail.com

If you're happy with a 37 inches inseam Denimio it's actually cheaper, though.

Same applies with the 20s model.