TCB

@erk is og, i'm sure he knows what to do with a piece of cloth draped around one's bum n legs.

what he is questioning is rather if tcb, being a brand purporting to be specializing in period-correct repro(duction) of levi's jeans instead of a more modern-minded (re)interpretations of them (eg, stevenson, rgt, 3sixteen, et al), is overstating the (supposed) characteristics and dimensions of the so-called "66 (levi's) cut" (slimmer, lower rise, among others).

On 8/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, erk said:

Haha woah. @oomslokop has me right here. We all know various companies including tcb (especially LVC) like to monkey with things to fit a particular narrative, agenda, body type etc. a rise this low just doesn't really strike me as 501 esque. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

I had a pair of one-wash purchased directly from inoue size 33 but the waist measured 31" BiG style =/ , sold 'em a while back. I don't know about the newer runs or the raw versions but in my case they ran so small and the rise was also very short - they weren't worth stretching cause they'd prob just blowout.

On 10/08/2017 at 11:07 PM, erk said:

Haha woah. @oomslokop has me right here. We all know various companies including tcb (especially LVC) like to monkey with things to fit a particular narrative, agenda, body type etc. a rise this low just doesn't really strike me as 501 esque. Perhaps I'm wrong. 

with that in mind, what are your thoughts re: tcb vs lvc interpretation of the 1950s era jeans? sorry if you have already remarked on this...

9 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

with that in mind, what are your thoughts re: tcb vs lvc interpretation of the 1950s era jeans? sorry if you have already remarked on this...

I feel like the 50s TCB and the LVC 1955 are very similar. the pairs i have a size 34 TCB and 34 LVC 55 - the 55s are bigger in the hip area and the leg opening is more narrow than the tcb. I think the TCB 50s look like 50s 501s and I think the silhouette looks right. That being said I've never worn 50s levis and have never seen any in person. I'd like to hear what @PaulT thinks about the LVC vs TCB 50s cuts :)

I've worn the 60s a lot this past week. they're cool. my favorite is still the 50s though. 

Picked up @Denimstoyevsky's 1960's in a trade. My first pair of TCB. Really love the fabric and the fit through the legs- but the low rise feels pretty weird. Also prevents me from tucking my shirt. Would love these legs with a higher rise.

I'm sure this has been asked- but is the sizing in the waist pretty similar between the 1950 and 1960? I kinda want to get my hands on some 50's now.

k0P3JCS.jpg

kjnNp1w.jpg

That's a fine fit right there.

I like the rise of the 60s it suits my beer belly fine.

Sizing is the same, I wear a 36 on both although the 50s are more of a relaxed fit so depending on how loose the 60s fit you could size down one, but I wouldn't suggest it personally.

8 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

Sizing is the same, I wear a 36 on both although the 50s are more of a relaxed fit so depending on how loose the 60s fit you could size down one, but I wouldn't suggest it personally.

I was thinking that these 60's sit right on my hips, where the 50's would come up a bit higher. I figure I narrow out just a bit there and it could work if I went down to a 33. May be safer doing 34 in those also.

8 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

I was thinking that these 60's sit right on my hips, where the 50's would come up a bit higher. I figure I narrow out just a bit there and it could work if I went down to a 33. May be safer doing 34 in those also.

3 hours ago, erk said:

I feel like the 50s TCB and the LVC 1955 are very similar. the pairs i have a size 34 TCB and 34 LVC 55 - the 55s are bigger in the hip area and the leg opening is more narrow than the tcb. I think the TCB 50s look like 50s 501s and I think the silhouette looks right. That being said I've never worn 50s levis and have never seen any in person. I'd like to hear what @PaulT thinks about the LVC vs TCB 50s cuts :)

I've worn the 60s a lot this past week. they're cool. my favorite is still the 50s though. 

thanks for that evaluation. indeed, my 50s are prized in my wardrobe but 60s rise is too too small for me, even tho fabric looks lush. the tcb 50s exaggeration seems to be hem width and that is just fine with me. would love to hear the paul t comparison. 

7 hours ago, fix_me said:

The way those fit you I'd get a size down on the 50s. The fabric is very stretchy and you will want it to be tighter with the higher rise and wider thigh. 

6 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

& i asked you erk as some of your db lvc 55 posts are indeed pretty damn og!

Thanks! I still have those jeans. The last of my lvc. Saving them in case I ever pack on the pounds. 

I really dont know who is in the right with the taper. Lvc seems to change stuff too.  Also forgot that both pairs are nominal 34 but I think the lvc were 2" oversized. 

Edit: I guess what's right is that I like the tcb cut better. 

Edited by erk

Damn you really did a number on those! Sorry you've gotta downgrade them for the time being—they look great. I'd love to see em and maybe help with repairs once I move back to BC in a couple weeks!

22 minutes ago, chicote said:

Damn you really did a number on those! Sorry you've gotta downgrade them for the time being—they look great. I'd love to see em and maybe help with repairs once I move back to BC in a couple weeks!

Dude! That would be the best. Id love for you to work on them

12 hours ago, chicote said:

12 hours ago, MasonAlexander said:

Dude! That would be the best. Id love for you to work on them

I'd love to see this pair repaired!

On 2017-08-15 at 0:14 PM, bartlebyyphonics said:

seconded!!!

On 2017-08-15 at 1:02 AM, volvo240thebest said:

I'd love to see this pair repaired!

Third! Hahaha. I have this pair, and my favourite pair of Sugar Canes currently in desperate need of repairs. Its a sad time in my denim life

• 2 weeks later...

Final TCB question before I make an order from them direct- how much length shrinkage has been experienced on the raw denim when doing machine cycle/hot dryer? Deathly afraid of ordering another pair of jeans and having them shrink up too far. I ideally want to end up with an inseam of 30-31". Please advise. :)