TCB

details are perfect, I love how the stitching continues past the back pocket rivets and I have always wanted a cinch back.  My question is how will the fabric turn out? I know FullCounts 20s pair has wild cotton with an unbleached weft. I love how the wild cotton on my FCxSignets is turning out so i'm not opposed to another unbleached weft. 

I used to think the ecru weft was unbleached -but iit's actually tinted. Cotton used for denim is naturally bright - look at cotton bolls - white and isn't bleached.

Edit: I was looking for something else and found the source of this information. White cotton is never bleached; you can use different varieties, or cotton from different climates, that's more yellow - or you can tint it, which I believe was done for the Kurabo Levi's 1870s natural indigo denim.

Edited by Paul T

Sir Paul dropping the knowledge!

I always wondered about that too. I have a friend who has a a bunch of cotton balls in his living room, I've seen them up close many times and can definitely confirm they're bright white.

My UES 400T have brown-ish weft and I think I've read somewhere that indeed it's tinted.

Paul you may be able to answer. Why do they tint the cotton?

They tint the weft ecru just to give it more of a vintage, off-white look.

As mentioned above, the more yellow yarn would have originally come from more impurities, or varieties in the cultivar and climate.

Edited by Paul T

I've never done suspenders in my life but I might give it a go w these 20's. wonder if the buttons will make the jeans uncomfortable to be worn with a belt, or if they will ruin a belt..

Edited by volvo240thebest

I certainly wouldn't wear a belt with suspender buttons, it wouldn't be comfortable or aesthetically pleasing and like you say, could damage the belt.

EDIT: I was talking nonsense earlier Volvo, belt loops appeared in the early 20s.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

by the way, I am breaking in my first pair of cinchbak jeans in these days (made by red cloud), they're a 30's style inspired design, with cinchback, belt loops and no suspender buttons. I've tried to use the jeans without a belt but it simply didn't work for me, I had to cinch the jeans so tight that the overall top block fit looked too pinched. Ended up using the chinch not overly tight and a belt, the cinch passes under the middle belt loop and doesn't interfere with the belt. works nicely for me.

Edited by volvo240thebest

I furtively busted out  a pair of "first blue jeans" LVC 555 the other day.. different enough from my usual attire that Mrs mondo asked "Are those new jeans?"

"Ah, well, not new as such, they were actually modelled after the first pair of Levi's from 1873—although they differ in several important respects—and the denim is natural indigo, difficult to come by these days; these would have been..."

"You look like a farmer.  In an old movie.  Those can be your house jeans."

Ah well.  They are incredibly soft and comfortable, at least.  I don't know if they sit where they're intended to on me (I had thought the 1873 variants were all very high-rise), but they fit exactly around the waist—which is at the same height as more or less all my other jeans—and do not require suspenders or cinch adjustment.  Lucky, as there are of course no belt loops; also, I need to source a buckle for the cinch.  I have one on an old pair of cinchback g-stars (!) that might do the trick.. purists may need to avert their gaze...

that's a perfect fit in my books, the high water chop off hem looks nice, curious to see how it will stand the test of time though.

you should try and fidn a way to avoid the fraying otherwise in a few months the high water length will become deep water!

as per now that's a punk rock star fit!!!!

good to hear. I remember it's been an issue to me on a pair of chopped off jorts I've been wearing in my teenage years. Possibly depending by the fact I was pulling the threads all the time.