favorite albums of 2014

for me:

protomartyr - under color of official right

king champion sounds - songs for the golden hour

pallbearer - foundations of burden

lana del rey - ultraviolence

aphex twin- syro

i saw protomartyr on my birthday this year - really great live

i know it is cool to be unimpressed by the new aphex but i am really grateful to have new music by mr. james

i was scared that pallbearer would drop the ball after putting out such a great album last time but they continue to impress

i've not too much to say about the lana del rey record - she's polarizing - either you are into it or not. i'm into it fully.

imo that delroy ep sucked, very generic. i much prefer his remixes.

my favs:

rowland s howard - six strings that drew blood (i'm cheating a bit coz this is a reissue)
htrk - psychic 9-5 club

kassem mosse - workshop 19
loefah - midnight / woman
rezzett - zootie and the mp3 flip

imo that delroy ep sucked, very generic. i much prefer his remixes.

my favs:

rowland s howard - six strings that drew blood (i'm cheating a bit coz this is a reissue)

htrk - psychic 9-5 club

kassem mosse - workshop 19

loefah - midnight / woman

rezzett - zootie and the mp3 flip

Damn, I forgot about Workshop 19

Did you really rate the Loefah single that much? I mean, it's ok, but he has much better work, the whole buzz about it is really just what he wanted from doing that ultra-limited release

Also, if we're including reissues of relatively limited stuff, I'll add

Lewis - L'Amour

Gruppo di Improvvisazione di Nuova Consonanza - The Feed-Back

The Black Hippies The Black Hippies

Both William Onyeabor boxsets

The Feed-Back is fantastic, only existed as a promo before being pressed this year, but it's on youtube in full

Edited by too many deux

they're OG tunes dating back to when i first started listening to pirate recordings. essential. maybe not as good as the goat stare, but still both sides are killer. i've seen the discogs hate but it seems like they're only salty because they didn't a copy. alotta ppl have been calling for a pressing for the last 9 years.

they're OG tunes dating back to when i first started listening to pirate recordings. essential. maybe not as good as the goat stare, but still both sides are killer. i've seen the discogs hate but it seems like they're only salty because they didn't a copy. alotta ppl have been calling for a pressing for the last 9 years.

I'm aware of the history, and yeah, that's why I'm mad about the low pressing - it's a pretty sought-after recording from one of the scene's biggest stars, so to dick everyone over and do a really small pressing in order to make more buzz is kind of shitty imo

But yeah, I think a lot of his other dmz is far better than either side

you really liked vengeance bourbon? 

Yeah, perhaps not Tomokawa's best work but I really enjoyed it. There's still a lot of stuff I need to listen to from this year - new Roscoe Mitchell, that archival Brotzmann/Sharrock album, all the Vandermark stuff I haven't heard yet..

Theo Parrish - American Intelligence 
STL - At Disconnected Moments
Sculpture - Membrane Pop
Eleventeen Eston - Delta Horizon
Moon B - II
Mica Levi - Under The Skin
Marcus Schmickler & Julian Rohrhuber - Politiken der Frequenz
Jesse Osborne-Lanthier - Otherwise Insignificant Psyche Debris
Donato Dozzy & Nuel - The Aquaplano Sessions
Everything that D/P/I did

Cakedog - Menace In The Phantom
Traxman - Da Mind Of Traxman Vol 2
Ariel Pink - Pom Pom
HTRK - Psychic 9-5 Club

These were good

I don't really get into the hype (though probably deserved) around albums of Run the Jewels and Mac DeMarco (although he seem like a really cool guy). Need to listen to them more.

Anyway, without particular order: Todd Terje, Clark, Swans, Jonwayne, Reincarnations pt.2 by DJ Koze, Michael by Les Sins and Interstellar Soundtrack (lol) even though I was disappointed with the film.

Mica Levi - Under the skin also worth mentioning.