worst jobs you've had

ishboo

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have this thing called detasseling here in the great state of nebraska.

basically, you walk down entire cornfields and pull a tassel out of the female plant (4 female rows to 1 male row) so that the bitch could get knocked up on a windy day.

all of this takes place in 100+ degree heat while making $5.15 an hour and the average worker is 12-13 years old.

i was also a meat clerk at a grocery store for about two weeks before i couldnt take the freezing temperatures or senile old men i worked with any longer.

sams club for almost a year. this job actually intenisfied this social anxiety disorder thing i seem to have going on. im just finding it harder to deal with people and i believe the "members" played a big role in this.

we have this thing called detasseling here in the great state of nebraska.

basically, you walk down entire cornfields and pull a tassel out of the female plant (4 female rows to 1 male row) so that the bitch could get knocked up on a windy day.

all of this takes place in 100+ degree heat while making $5.15 an hour and the average worker is 12-13 years old.

i was also a meat clerk at a grocery store for about two weeks before i couldnt take the freezing temperatures or senile old men i worked with any longer.

sams club for almost a year. this job actually intenisfied this social anxiety disorder thing i seem to have going on. im just finding it harder to deal with people and i believe the "members" played a big role in this.

Senile or just crazy?

standing on the street asking people to donate money to "support the democratic party" (aka pay bitches like me to stand on the street with a clipboard)

I worked that one for a solid 4.5 hours before telling my boss he was a tool and clearing out. (i politely returned the super-lame t-shirt they made me wear for the job, another girl who started that day just ditched her clipboard and skipped out at lunch)

my buddy down here had the worst job I've ever heard of though - he was the guy who drove to car accident sites to pick up dead bodies. I kid you not, it is a commission-paid job, so it's almost like a race to see which of the guys in the area can get to the fresh bodies first to get the cash.

sick world. but obviously someones gotta take care of that .

In thailand, there's alot of volunteers who do this. Their payment comes in "karma points" so the more bodies they bag, the better life they'll have in the next reincarnation. And man, the traffic in Thailand is truly killer. Saw this all in a "dirtiest jobs" show on a learning channel.

Basically every new job I have makes me miss the older jobs. Fortunately each new job I've gotten also gave me more pay than the last. Right now I'm working in a lab staining, arranging, filing and delivering microscope slides of people's various organ tissue. I am fascinated whenever someone's skin cancer has traveled all the way to their G.I. system. I work ridiculous hours of overtime in a basement located shite looking lab, within the most shitty hospital which is itself within the most beautiful campus filled with thousands of beautiful UCLA women. AWGH!

Bwagh, what a demeaning job for a 25 year old. Sigh, in my nightmares I'm a 30 year old lab tech who oggles at young freshmen on his lunchbreak. But at least I can afford to wear my expensive wardrobe on weekends.

• 2 weeks later...
salad preparer at a mountain resort.

i thought it'd be cool making salads and cutting vegetables. but 90% of the time it was transferring shit from one container to the next. :(

so you're a salad tosser? :)

feed the tykes:

babysitting off and on, just shy of 2 decades.

it was cool. but i could do without being barfed on, poking and prodding, hair pulling, diaper changing, and questions like "can i see your boobies?" or "can we play piggyback ride again?" and that was just the parents.

feed the big kids:

transferred "food" up and downstairs from basement (dungeon) kitchen, flipped burgers, served transferred "food" to students (unsuspecting victims), etc.

although a student at the time, i treated the experience as a social science experiment, rendering extreme rudeness interesting over insulting. yadda, yadda, yadda. nearly got my supervisor fired, got a transfer and a 45% pay hike.

without a dream every job sucks!

garbage man/ janitor @ a building on park ave full of rich assholes.... had to wake up @ 430 am everyday to take out the garbage... did that for a WHILE

What did you eventually do to get outta that?

Basically every new job I have makes me miss the older jobs. Fortunately each new job I've gotten also gave me more pay than the last. Right now I'm working in a lab staining, arranging, filing and delivering microscope slides of people's various organ tissue. I am fascinated whenever someone's skin cancer has traveled all the way to their G.I. system. I work ridiculous hours of overtime in a basement located shite looking lab, within the most shitty hospital which is itself within the most beautiful campus filled with thousands of beautiful UCLA women. AWGH!

Bwagh, what a demeaning job for a 25 year old. Sigh, in my nightmares I'm a 30 year old lab tech who oggles at young freshmen on his lunchbreak. But at least I can afford to wear my expensive wardrobe on weekends.

Hey masuerte, which deparment are you specifically working in? I'm thinking about applying to lab assistant / sra positions at UCLA but my experience working in the neurosci dept as an undergrad wasn't that great so I'm really hesitant to apply. Aside from the ridiculous hours, what's your job like? Are you usually working by yourself w/ minimal contact w/ other people? I'm trying to get as much info as I can about working in a lab before I apply so any input would help, thanks man.

aside from being mad unemployed and the regular ebaying...

sales associate at hot topic on and off for about 4 years now...

event security: drunk people throw beer at me; I want to kill them.

working at my colleges library: awesome! basically paid to hang out and watch movies and occasionally help a stupid teacher set up a projector or something.

meat factory..easy work, but started at 4am, the place stunk, ridiculously hot except in the fridge rooms, and 95% of the people were over 40. every week about 5 people were hired, by the next week usually all had left. alot quit during their first days lunch break.

Hmm, well I have had 2 that were featured on "Dirty Jobs." Hot tar roofing, and asphalt paving. Ohh, and both of these were in the 30c + heat many times. Paving, you often had to get between the paver and a wall, and shovel the material smooth, while standing in the "hot mix". Your boots literally melted, and had to do shifts to let your feet cool.

Roofing sucked for a number of reasons: getting stiffed with pay, major safety concerns with the company I was on with. Needless to say, only lasted a couple days.

While going through school, I have worked numerous manual labour jobs, and they generally suck if you are a student. I find that no matter how hard you try to "fit in", many people seem to resent that you are a student.

Every sales job Ive ever had is the worst job ive ever had. Especially when I was working for Clarks/Bostonian in the middle of a tourist trap. Theres nothing like a Chinese guy fresh off the plane coming into your store dead set on talking you down to $40 dollars on a $120 pair of shoes.

• 9 months later...

i had a car washing job for a week during the summertime in houston. humid as fuck man.

i quit cause they were cheating me out of hours. 90 bucks for a week and a half. pfffft...

i quit a landscaping job after a couple weeks, when i was 18

i actually liked the work, and being outside and sweating and all that

but i couldn't really talk to anyone - they were all grizzled rednecks at least five years older than me

and i had to get up at like 5:15

fuck that shit

I haven't had a worst job yet, thank God

but when I used to work at gap, for a brief period we had a manager from hell that yeah, brought order to the place I suppose with banishing the candy drawer from the cashwrap and also forbidding us to overide gap's music by plugging in our own cd player to the machine and playing off of that...

but stupid rules like, "you can't stand next to and/or talk to your coworker for more then two minutes" had everyone cheering when she got fired

:( i missed seeing her get decked by a customer though.

fun times.

7-11 during High School

- Horrible Hours

- Not one, but two dickhead bosses. One had a speech imediment and when you asked him to repeat himself, he would get extremely angry and frustrated.

Always seeing people I knew

- Always smelled like bleach and coffee.

- Slurpee Machine is a sticky, disgusting, broken down piece of shit

- Cleaning out the trash dumpster in the dead of winter.

- Spending half an hour in a fucking freezer.

- Got robbed once right after a guy paid with a $100. Didn't get the chance to drop it, so the difference came out of my paycheck the next week. Thats when I quit.

Fuck, just remembering all this shit makes me angry. I haven't been in a 7-11 since I quit that job.