worst jobs you've had

ishboo

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

working toll booth ( 6 months)

landscaper (mowing grass, etc 4 months in summer)

janitor/utility at grocery store (high school, one year)

500+ hours of community service (picking up trash on side of the road, 2 years once every week or so)

building fences (actually not that bad, spent some time up in south jersey forawhile couple of months)

I had a 'summer hire' job on base (military base in england) at the sewage plant. I didn't have the shots for it so I didn't deal with any shit but the smell was pretty bad.

They told me that the year before the kid's dad made him get the shit-shots so he could really get to work there. Fun I'm sure.

Filing charts at a doctor's office.

Really boring but some things i learned:

1) doctors get paid a few thousand dollars by endorsing drugs for pharmaceutical companies at conferences ex)having a Pfizer logo on a banner = $$$

2) they can take afternoons off to play golf (sometimes

3) "lunch" with pharmaceutical reps ($300 bottles of wine...

i'm a spoiled little shit so my hardest job was basically carting around 1000-page textbooks by hand for 6 hours a day. it was physically grueling but nothing like taking care of dying people.

my buddy down here had the worst job I've ever heard of though - he was the guy who drove to car accident sites to pick up dead bodies. I kid you not, it is a commission-paid job, so it's almost like a race to see which of the guys in the area can get to the fresh bodies first to get the cash.

sick world. but obviously someones gotta take care of that .

2 x kitchenhand jobs - a little bit of food prep, but mainly standing over a sink full of boiling water scrubbing crusty shit off plates, and burning your hands if you were lucky

3 x storeman jobs - inventory control, picking orders, packing pallets, crashing forklifts, and dealing with arrogant dimwits all day

i bagged bitchy people's groceries for 2 years @ Kroger(a big ass grocery store around the ohio,kentucky,indiana tristate area).

I was only 14-16, so it was money, but...it fucking sucked.

ha....im working at krogers currently wayyyy down south here....im doing overnight stocking...add that shit to my list as well. graveyard.

my current job. i work for the most lifeless people in the universe, and my soul is slowly eroding. i thank my lungs for being filled with phlegm at the moment so i can call out sick tomorrow.

it pays well enough and is going to look great on my resume if i can hang around for another few months, but i don't know how much more i can take of being glued to my desk, apprehensive about getting up for a five minute break because it might hurt productivity or something. not that i could get a five minute break anyway, because our offices are in a fucking apartment in a residential building. i could go on and on about why this place is my own personal hell, but i'll spare you all the details.

i used to do telemarketing for a company that handeled calls for verizon. This was during the time when the decided to add the universal service fee to the bills as a tax and I handled calls. There are people who are so irrate that i one day walked out. It was pretty terrible.

I also used to work electronics at Kmart, but that's actually a job i didn't mind and the more i look back on it, even though the pay was horiffic, it was such a menial fun job. got my n64 for the price of tic tacs.

Worked for a company called Errand Boys out of San Francisco. Basically worked as errand boys for Pacific Heights millionaires. Job included walking dogs, changing light bulbs, returning shoes, flipping over mattresses, picking up dry cleaning, etc. Got billed out for like $15/ hr + travel time to spend 30 seconds to change a light bulb... fucking rich people. I was hoping that one day some lonely supermodel housewife would call to clean her tub... never happened.

Worked for a company called Errand Boys out of San Francisco. Basically worked as errand boys for Pacific Heights millionaires. Job included walking dogs, changing light bulbs, returning shoes, flipping over mattresses, picking up dry cleaning, etc. Got billed out for like $15/ hr + travel time to spend 30 seconds to change a light bulb... fucking rich people. I was hoping that one day some lonely supermodel housewife would call to clean her tub... never happened.

damn didnt know they had such a thing, like contract servants.:rolleyes:

Luckily, never really had a horrible job, I hated parts of working in a bridal shop, (dealing with bitchy brides and bridesmaids, taking inseam measurements of creepy guys, lugging around 7 20 lb dresses at once, having to put everything back after some lady tried on 30 gowns and didn't buy a damn thing) but I really loved the job still, I got to make veils, dye shoes, eat amazing homemade thai food (it was a thai family owned business, and they always broght last nights leftovers to work), and learn a lot about sewing and clothing construction, as well as have a mentor who was one of the most talented seamstresses I've ever met, so the good parts far outweighed the bad.

With the exception of the rat-pappers and shit-stirrers, seems we SFers lead easy lives.

My worst two, which were passable--they both paid excellently when I was a teenager ($10-15/hr), which made up for their crapulence:

Packing paper at a graphics/printing company... counting folded form letters/catalogs/whatever off on a machine, putting a rubber band on them, packing them in a box. Machines were loud as shit--couldn't talk to anyone, listen to the radio, anything. Mind numbing, mechanical work, for 8 hours at a time, with a 15 minute lunch break. Occasionally I got to use the slicer, which puts an actual ton of pressure on a stack of paper, then slices it. Keep appendages clear... I actually started smoking at this job, because smokers got occasional 5-minute smoke breaks. Oh, and lots and lots of paper cuts, until you get badass calluses.

Prep work for a housepainting company also sucked. Not worth talking about. Both make sitting in a windowless office with a computer seem awesome. It's not that I don't like manual labor--I liked roofing and landscaping.

Dishwasher at a vegan restuarant for 2 years in high school.

Easy job but the food was shitty and overpriced and the owners were dickhead hippies. Fuck working in the restuarant industry.

90% of the vegan spots ive been to fall under the same banner. they have such a monopoly too.