Sign in to follow this  
conqueror

external monitor vs TV?

i've had a 13" MBA for almost 2 years now, would it be better/easier to buy an external monitor and hook that up via HDMI or buy a small TV + apple TV? the second option is considerably more expensive but i'm not sure which would be more useful.

depends on what you are tryna to do? i have a mbp hooked up to a 24 but i also have a tv for watching shows and etc

Yeah, it totally depends on what you're trying to do. If you're only going to be watching at your desk (which it seems like bc you said a small monitor) then just go with HDMI. It's easy to just plug in and mirror your display. If you're using it in a bigger room, go with Apple TV and Airplay. 

I personally have both. In my room I have a 27" HDMI monitor I hook up to my MBP for when I'm working, and in our living room the TV is hooked up to an Apple TV, so if I want to watch TV and be on my laptop on the couch I can do that too. It's also better since I don't have to worry about a cable going all the way across the room from the TV.

yeah, i'd just be using it to watch torrented stuff in my room really; i have an older LCD monitor but unfortunately it doesn't have HDMI. i guess i still don't really 'get' apple tv, it's just used to wirelessly stream stuff from your mac right? i haven't owned a tv in almost a decade, i'm worried i'll be tempted to buy a ps4 if i get one now haha.

Edited by conqueror

can't you do just do minidisplay to DVI? that's what i do. it's "basically" the same as hdmi

can't you do just do minidisplay to DVI? that's what i do. it's "basically" the same as hdmi

potentially, but my LCD monitor is really old and i wasn't sure if it would work from what i've read. i guess it could be worth a $35 gamble.

if your monitor has a dvi port you can just buy one of these

if you have a ps3 you can hook it up to your monitor and use ps3 media server to stream to the ps3.

i haven't owned a console in a decade, but i'll dig up the monitor at my parents' house and see what it's like. thanks for the help.

If streaming/watching local files is what you're after a Chromecast might work for you as well, and it's dirt cheap to boost.