supercareer

chagoo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Chris, how long and how does it take to get a bartending cert? I have always heard of friends doing well when bartending in college, especially at smaller pubs, becuase of the generous tips.

i don't know how it works in the US but here in Canada all you legally need to bartend is a smartserve certification. smartserve is just this course that they make everyone in the service industry take that's supposed to train you to not overserve, but it's a huge joke. you can get it in like, 3 hours.

there's no real standard of training here. i got into the job working at a big chain hotel, where i started off as a busboy in the restaurant.i'd been working there for a couple years when a position opened up for a part time bartender, so i applied and got it. learned everything just by hanging out with the higher up bartenders who had been doing it for years, and then getting behind the bar and making drinks. i already knew wine, beer and cocktails pretty well because of years of, um, recreation research so i picked it up quickly.

i'm still working for a hotel chain which is kind of... meh. business at our bars is pretty hit or miss, but the job is unionized and the hourly wage is good, so it's worth it for me to stick around, even if a really good night doesn't happen too often.

college student with no job

med school next year :o

ill be travelling all over the US in the next few months for interviews and stuff

very stoked about travelling

not so stoked about missing school and struggling to pass my classes

Studying Accounting in my junior year. I also work at Pottery Barn Kids (anyone in the NJ/PA/NY area need a Pottery Barn/ Williams Sonoma/ Pottery Barn Kids/ West Elm hookup, I got you.)

Any accountants on here?

I'm going to be one! I have (University) Accounting now and I'm doing a co-op placement at a firm next semester.

I'm in high school. No job currently.

University of Pittsburgh... I already finished a degree in economics and I'm finishing up a degree in business management. I'm a teacher currently. I'm trying to figure out which grad school program in philly i want cause my girlfriend just got accepted to med school there. After all my education I plan on becoming a tailor and living off my surgeon girlfriend.

i used to work there, too. but i'm at that other big agency that has that big soda account, as well as whole bunch of other big clients. might have worked with you guys before, too.

my gf just got out of grad school for advertising and she's looking for something in SF if you guys got any hookup please contact me... :D

as for myself, I'm in engineering, semiconductor/chips and stuff...

University of Pittsburgh... I already finished a degree in economics and I'm finishing up a degree in business management. I'm a teacher currently. I'm trying to figure out which grad school program in philly i want cause my girlfriend just got accepted to med school there. After all my education I plan on becoming a tailor and living off my surgeon girlfriend.

heh, I went to the school next to UPitt... I hated Pittsburgh...

and that sounds like a great plan man... :)

currently a technical consultant. it's an awesome job straight out of school, but i'm actually looking for an industry change soon/business school. more interested in marketing/advertising/branding, and a move to nyc. chicken/mass please give me some advice on what i can do to get an internship/job at an advertising/marketing/branding company! btw, i have a background in comp sci. haha.