Unknown Non-Japanese Brands

Megatron1505

Not hard to top NF quality  :P

Guaranteed crotch blow out within first 8 months, unless you take their super-heavyweights.

Not too hard at all.

And if you go that route you're guaranteed to be uncomfortable for life.  <_<

Anyways, I'm interested to see the standard denim from Sauce Zhan mega.

Maybe the Chinese denim scene will grow and it'll be a way I can utilize some of my Mandarin knowledge!

that'd be good. you could even try skipping a proxy too for taobao. I've seen it's possible but I won't try it, it looks too cumbersome for me.

I am not  taken on those tinted wefts too. Very curious to see the Mega-approved SZ model. from what I've seen on the chambray shirt I've got from them their workmanship level and attention for details it's very high.

that'd be good. you could even try skipping a proxy too for taobao. I've seen it's possible but I won't try it, it looks too cumbersome for me.

I am not  taken on those tinted wefts too. Very curious to see the Mega-approved SZ model. from what I've seen on the chambray shirt I've got from them their workmanship level and attention for details it's very high.

I only hope they slowly start developing their own style. I have been discussing this with them for over a year, their design creativity is very much based on standard fits from other big name brands. Which isn't bad, but they should develop a signature style in my humble opinion. But can't blame them too much, they started out as a repro only brand specialized in customizing jeans with their own hand-painting skills.

I understand your point, and bottom line I think this is why Red Cloud it's in my opinion superior to all these other brands. they developed a brand identity and they research designs that set them apart from other brands.

I understand your point, and bottom line I think this is why Red Cloud it's in my opinion superior to all these other brands. they developed a brand identity and they research designs that set them apart from other brands.

True. I work with Red Cloud and when I first visited him in China I was baffled by his products. Having previously visited Japan and some brands, I thought that was the top of the mountain. But RC def belongs on top of that mountain too. 

What I enjoy about RC is that the founder is also very stubborn, strictly sticking to that what he feels is the best thing to do. 

But I am very hopeful for China brands in general, and denim in particular. There is a lot happening there and I visited some mills that house insane collections of vintage shuttle looms of the Picanol era and other brands. So I guess it is only a matter of time before MIC artisanal brands gets the recognition they deserve. 

Starting with jeans, developing a style is exactly what SZ are going to be doing is my hope. I'm hoping that it can be achieved not by research into others designs, but by correcting and tweaking existing cuts and focussing on the quality of the product rather than gimmicks (no matter how fun they are), or copying others.

Trust me when I say that Zhan has talent and he has completely nailed the cut I asked for.

@Mega

curious to see your fit pics eventually. I'm quite positive SZ will start developing his own style eventually, as he is quite keen on growing his brand. Only thing is his fabric quality control. When I ordered 2 samples, 1 of them was a low grade fabric unfortunately. This was a classic style, the rainbow weft was great quality.

Zhan has been doing this for three years now, and I think that at times he has struggled to get the right quality of denim from the mill he works with. The denim we have used (and he corrected me on my previous description) is actually a 14oz xiamjing (spelling?) with a bleached weft, long staple Chinese cotton, extremely tight weave and unsinged so it is quite hairy, it's a very nice denim.

The fit pics will come at the weekend when I am done living in perpetual darkness unfortunately, I go to work early and come home late so picture quality is pretty poor. Also they desperately need hemming, but I will post pics with a double cuff.

The rainbow weft material is super nice, 13.5oz I believe. I get that not everyone will like that and it is a bit of a gimmick but I'm very interested to see how it evolves.

Just FYI for anyone ordering directly on the rainbow weft, the cuts he has has ridiculously tight lower legs, definitely asian sizing. The cut I have worked on with him is made to address an issue which comes up with people every now and then which is to have a slim tapered cut which works for tall and short people by taking the taper from higher in the leg. Tough to really explain but hopefully the fit pics will demonstrate this. They are made with a higher grade of denim and definitely sized for us bulky westerners.

Xinjiang, is the region where they get it from. Apparently (observing as Red Cloud dork) this area has a climate that is perfect for cotton growth. It is often compared to Zimbabwe cotton and of similar quality in general. 

Hopefully yours will fade as nicely as seen on RC denim. 

Looking at the pure white weft, and the tightness of the weave, I have high expectations. I won't be wearing them too much before next May though  ;)

any words of Bai He? their denim looks very similar to SZ and their details seem very nice (custom rivet/button, pressed leather patch, etc.)?

Bai he is pretty sweet. All the details are there and the denim itself is quite nice. Couple of detail shots from one of my pairs

1MiHiZI.jpgOEuLtq1.jpglEVBOzQ.jpg

Also, on a related note, if anyone is interested in looking at faded pairs of jeans from the brands mentioned here take a gander at this Chinese denim forum. You have to register to see the pictures but it not that hard with a little help from google translate. It not all Chinese denim, lots of Japanese and Levis as well, but there is plenty of fades present from all the major Chinese brands.

http://bbs.ilevis.cn/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=13

Ok, to fully explain the fit I was talking about, here are the pics. What I've done is started the taper higher in the leg so that the entire lover portion maintains a slim profile.

DSC_0081_zpscc768843.jpg

DSC_0096_zpsbc32bf79.jpg

DSC_0085_zpsf991c543.jpg

DSC_0087_zpsfc88340f.jpg

DSC_0090_zps3f99ef46.jpg

I like that a lot. How's the leg opening? I see you wearing engineers, that's pretty much my criteria for how small a leg opening can be, it still has to fit over my engineer and cowboy boots or a pair is of no use to me  :rolleyes:

Mind sharing the measurements or rather, how you finetuned them? Did you measure existing pairs or use your body measurements, tailor style?

I'll measure them up soon mate.

Basically what I did was look at my favourite cuts of denim that I own, be critical of the points which I didn't like and adjust the measurements accordingly to start the taper higher up the leg.

Here are some comparison fit pics against my MBB's and 710OG.

DSC_0067_zpsa1614984.jpg

DSC_0070_zps960fc58e.jpg

Samurai

DSC_0072_zpsfe1ca559.jpg

DSC_0078_zpsf7152f26.jpg

Iron Heart

DSC_0081_zpscc768843.jpg

DSC_0096_zpsbc32bf79.jpg

Sauce Zhan

Because I have wide hips I always suffer from the dreaded "Hitler" fit as previously mentioned. I love my Sammies and Iron Hearts, but I wanted something that would maintain the taper even for larger gentlemen and shorter gentlemen.