Rebuilding a Wardrobe

macky

where would you guys start in terms of rebuilding a wardrobe? in college, i didn't exactly have the type of budget i would have wanted when building a solid wardrobe and i also didn't understand much about building one from the bottom up, so i would pick and choose a few pieces here and there that i liked and go from there. but anyways, now that i've moved back home, saved up a little money, and have a consistent source of income, i wanted to start off somewhere fresh and wanted to know what you guys thought in terms of rebuilding a wardrobe. a few things that i'll be keeping from my college wardrobe include a couple pairs of APC denim, a pair of white CP's, and maybe a pair of classic Jordans. other than that, i'm really not attached to anything i've owned.

i understand every one is gonna have their own little thing about when they were rebuilding/first building their wardrobe and that everyone has their own unique style, but i just wanted to see what everyone's opinions were in terms of rebuilding a wardrobe from the bottom up. where should i start? would you go out and buy strictly basics and/or essentials or would you just pick and choose pieces that you like and figure out how to piece together an outfit later on that way?

and if it helps give you a better idea, i work at a hospital so i don't have to go to work every day wearing a suit or anything like that. however, i do have plans of going back to school (maybe medical school) in the future though so maybe i could head towards that direction in terms of my wardrobe (i.e. business casual)

Edited by macky

i'm just a very structured dude and like to keep things organized, so the fact that i only have a handful of shirts that fit me well enough for me to wear them on a regular basis while the rest are either tacky/don't fit me well/are shit quality just gives me the idea that right now would be a perfect time to start rebuilding my wardrobe.

i think i'm a pretty basic dude in terms of fashion. so while i'm rebuilding and figuring out what direction i wanna go towards, i'll just keep it simple with some basic T's, APC/Dior denim, and some classic J's/CP's/Red Wings. a couple quality jackets for the winter time as well.

^seconded on that. wander around aesthetic possibilities in the meantime until you find yourself gravitating towards something you really dig—don't make any extreme purchases, either (or at least i suggest so) but rather always consider every purchase as "will it slot into the rest of my wardrobe/how i'd like to dress" properly.