How has your style changes since you started on Sufu?

cheapmuthafukr

only been on sufu for a year but since then i've lost complete interest in clothes. the only shit i wear now is my uniform which are cropped Levis, black turtleneck, bomber jacket, and Vans. works for me as well because i'm a poor student

the only thing i'm here for now is the banter

I dress way more normal/basic now than I did when I first started browsing.  Figured out that I liked looking at cool fits more than I wanted to wear them.  Also instead of trying to overcome my reluctance (maybe even inability) to spend big $ on clothes, I just embraced it.  I'll be dressing cheap forever but that's cool with me.  

On a different note, Being on sufu also made me tired of keeping up with brands and their new releases/seasons.  Ended up ceasing to follow clothing related news entirely.  I find myself taking all of my style inspiration from the people/things i see in the streets now, which I feel is more satisfying than following brands/blogs online.  It's like not having all the information about a person's outfit makes it more interesting somehow. 

more relaxed fits

i guess i've done the opposite and now wear shit alot more fitted...i don't know what it is, but now that i'm 'older' i always feel kinda sloppy if i'm wearing stuff verging on relaxed/baggy/loose/whatever (tees are the exception) it also makes me at least try to stay in shape and not become a total waste of oxygen as well.

in terms of buying, i now pretty much only ever cop cheap basics and button ups (muji/uniqlo etc) and then spend decent amounts on jackets, shoes and trousers when the need arises. the advantage of living in australia is i can get by with a fairly minimal amount of stuff and don't need thick (and costly) down jackets etc. a few years ago i was happy with dropping $800 or whatever on a coat and consequently ended up with lots of expensive shit i never even wore, but now i'm really, really hesitant and particular with buying stuff over a $400ish threshold or so. hopefully this is working in my favour.

in terms of 'style', i've probably regressed in a sense as i often just end up wearing basically the same shit everyday and but on the flip side i'm much more confident with what i like and what works for me. 

Edited by conqueror

only been on sufu for a year but since then i've lost complete interest in clothes. the only shit i wear now is my uniform which are cropped Levis, black turtleneck, bomber jacket, and Vans. works for me as well because i'm a poor student

the only thing i'm here for now is the banter

UPDATE: my student loan just came in and i dropped a quarter of it on an Our Legacy coat......

two years, i'd say not much has changed (which is comforting imo at least). most of the initial time spent here was wardrobe buliding from literally a pair of trousers and two tees. fortunately i've bought good more than bad and that cycle of selling-to-buy hasn't happened that much so i'm still wearing the same things i've accumulated. i've only bought new things just cause i like having the safety of having a similar pair more often than not.

also, being in the practice of buying things of quality, with consideration i think makes me buy less than more - so the expressed sentiments of some that it's caused them to ditch their interest in clothes confuses me. if you are 'copping' right and good, shouldn't your yearning for more dwindle and fade.

things may change but i'm happy with being steady now. gives me time to get to know my clothes better - i wear my raf my helmut my whoevers most days if not all and they feel like better friends with each passing day.

UPDATE: my student loan just came in and i dropped a quarter of it on an Our Legacy coat......

i wear suits + uniforms or

veilance + acne + common projects everyday. :\ boring

Not strictly style, but I've been progressively been getting more disappointed with my current wardrobe. Graphic tees have been progressively losing their appeal in favour of basics although I'll still wear em whenever I don't give a damn

Have the urge to slim down my wardrobe but always end up going "oh this could work here and there" etc so not much is culled. 

Also experimenting with concepts. Doesn't always work tho. Case in point, a tee with a French bulldog print all over. I've probably worn that a grand total of 3 times at most. Damn what was i thinking  :( 

So mostly outgrown the urban lumberjack/superdenim look and crush your balls skinny jeans everythang, seems like for now the direction is an awkward divide between colour blocking minimalism and streetwear.  

Yeah idk.

• 4 weeks later...

Really though, it took me a long time to realise that clothing and the rest of my life aren't as compartmentalised as I had thought. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but buying into a brand without having the prerequisite lifestyle left me feeling like an idiot; buying a jacket isn't going to turn me into some sagely middle-aged Japanese dude with a salt-and-pepper beard, a chopped motorcycle and an enviable collection of house plants. Curiosity with clothes is cool but trying to hit those same aesthetics left me feeling like I was wearing a costume, not an outfit. Echoing what others have said, I guess I'm more comfortable in basics now. I'm a bland 22 year-old Australian. Pretending I'm not probably makes the problem worse. 

Really though, it took me a long time to realise that clothing and the rest of my life aren't as compartmentalised as I had thought. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but buying into a brand without having the prerequisite lifestyle left me feeling like an idiot; buying a jacket isn't going to turn me into some sagely middle-aged Japanese dude with a salt-and-pepper beard, a chopped motorcycle and an enviable collection of house plants. Curiosity with clothes is cool but trying to hit those same aesthetics left me feeling like I was wearing a costume, not an outfit. Echoing what others have said, I guess I'm more comfortable in basics now. I'm a bland 22 year-old Australian. Pretending I'm not probably makes the problem worse. 

it's a sincere question - but why do people think that an individual has to have 'a prerequisite lifestyle' that calibrates with the 'ideal lifestyle' portrayed by the brand itself? it sets up for all kinds of self-doubt and questioning like you're doing so right now. i've always only taken whatever is portrayed by the brand to be at face value. whatever it is, when you take the clothes from the store and into your own hands, shit is now yours - you can do it however you want.

otherwise, it becomes a very limiting experience for your own self. people who rigorously try to portray what the brand generates for them end up being robots. it's a whole lot more fulfilling when you take such a lifeless thing as a garment and enabling it to be a part of your life. i think it's why designers are often caught saying things like 'it's interesting when people out there use the things that i have made in an unexpected way and bring something with a whole other perspective to the table'. to refer to myself - i do stick to a consistent of stable designers but the main factor that plays into it has never been image. an image might pique my interest but it just so happens that those stable of designer brands just make clothes that i trust and want to wear again and again because they fit me right (mentally and physically) and they're well built.

As long as people can throw money at a designer and ride a trend this will happen. Though its unimaginative and immediately takes away from their fits, they don't care because it'll give them the 15 mins of relevance they desire. As soon as they're tired of rocking the glam rock slp x 4, they can turn to street goth rick x 4. It may look great but it'll always have the ball and chain of unoriginality attached. In a way not having a lot of disposable income helps a ton as you're forced to decide what truly fits, both on body and mentally. 

Finding my so called "stable designers" and my building a wardrobe is still an undertaking for me, though. But slowly as my taste develops and my funds allow it, ill get there. 

Edited by bastout

Just buy what you think is cool and stop over-thinking it you nerds.

Quoting someone else,"If you can't look in the mirror and go,oh yeah I'd fuck myself so hard then wtf is the point?"

Sure you'll fuck up along the way but it's like some vague Yoda shit,put some thought into it obviously but at the same don't. Let it be a natural extension of yourself or some jedi Force shit lol. I need to catch the train at 7 but I'm so hangovered fuck

All the time. I told my dad I bought a pair of shoes for £100 and he basically called me an idiot and I paid too much. They cost nearly 4x that.

once you become a dad you undergo a transformation. unfortunately, this transformation destroys your ability to see more than intrinsic value in objects.