Ello Ello

OkayOkay

I feel like I heard all these arguments when twitter, instagram, tumblr and FB launched too.

I don't think it's "some lame shit"...maybe it'll fizzle out, maybe it'll become a thing. 

I do like that they aren't data mining or allowing advertising, I doubt that's really sustainable tho. Interested to see where it goes.

either way, if you're on:

https://ello.co/gregghfa

To me at least each of twitter, instragram, etc. filled a distinct market space when launched. One of the many problems of G+ was that in addition to their absurdly stupid rollout, it literally does not do anything Facebook doesn't. Every new innovation they had (circles, etc.) were immediately and instantly replicated by Facebook causing G+ to lose any incremental value it had over Facebook. While I'll admit I haven't explored ello very much it looks like the bastard child of tumblr and twitter, with a UX shameless jacked from medium. I'd be interested in your thoughts as an actual user though

I feel like I heard all these arguments when twitter, instagram, tumblr and FB launched too.

I don't think it's "some lame shit"...maybe it'll fizzle out, maybe it'll become a thing. 

I do like that they aren't data mining or allowing advertising, I doubt that's really sustainable tho. Interested to see where it goes.

either way, if you're on:

https://ello.co/gregghfa

The entire business model is based around "freemium" market, which might have a chance, but they mentioned managing multiple accounts. Why do you need multiple accounts? They launched without a mobile app, video support, or any API support. (It's in beta it's in beta it's in beta, I know!)

For example, I never post on facebook in of itself now, I use instagram/strava/foursquare/twitter/tumblr/soundcloud more than anything else. What benefit does ello give me? I have to reimport all my contacts/rebuild a lame social network again and Google Plus sure as hell couldn't convince me of that, and most of the people I talk to all day are on gchat, and were auto imported.

Furthermore, I don't really give a shit if they're ad free or not, or "collecting data" etc. I'm trying to figure out why people have such a hard-on for that? Go download adblock and get on with your banner free life.

Worthy of note: 

https://ello.co/sonos 

https://ello.co/budnitzbicycles

This is advertising, Budnitz. Simply having a presence is advertising. I guess budnitz gets a pass because it's a "Cool bike company" as owned by him, rather than uncool brands like Nike/Pepsi/Alessi/whomever. Better get cranking on them dreamy washed out filtered bokeh DSLR product shots.

Edited by exhaust fumes

"Simple, beautiful & ad-free" = excessively big pictures, tiny text, awful font, too much white space, "check out my design portfolio!"

all of this new social media bullshit just reminds me of this:

Edited by Vampyrvargfesten

To me at least each of twitter, instragram, etc. filled a distinct market space when launched. One of the many problems of G+ was that in addition to their absurdly stupid rollout, it literally does not do anything Facebook doesn't. Every new innovation they had (circles, etc.) were immediately and instantly replicated by Facebook causing G+ to lose any incremental value it had over Facebook. While I'll admit I haven't explored ello very much it looks like the bastard child of tumblr and twitter, with a UX shameless jacked from medium. I'd be interested in your thoughts as an actual user though

For me G+ never had the marketing momentum to explain it or make me want to understand it. It seemed like linkedin X facebook, and the idea didn't really catch me. I don't tweet or use tumblr, so at first glance Ello looks like those rolled into one, but it's so basic and so shaky right now it's hard to know what it's really going to become. Not having a mobile app makes it pretty annoying, I think everyone is sort of waiting to see what the purpose is so they know how to use it. I remember buying the first gen Ipad and looking at it like an insanely expensive paperweight, now I use it religiously, almost more than my laptop. I'm definitely not "mad" at Ello like some people seem to be, just giving it a chance to figure itself out, and for users to find it's home. There does need to be some sort of interconnectivity tho for it to be relevant, like how FB tried to introduce hashtags to create conversation (which honestly is brilliant), but the education wasn't there to let people know how it worked. 

I think they really shot themselves in the foot by allowing so many people to use the website through invites. Every one person that gets an account will subsequently invite 5 or so others, and so on. The website is clearly still very much in beta, so of course the product isn't going to be worth presenting to a wide audience yet. Whenever you allow all these people to come in and have their first impressions of your website be this confusing twitter-esque shit, it'll be a lot harder to keep people interested in what the product will be like in the future.

One thing I really wish they had implemented would be a facebook sort of "like" or "share" feature. It'd suck if it were like tumblr's reblog system, wherein you generate hours upon hours of content on your blog without putting any real effort into it, but facebook's like/share feature would make the website a lot more social. The way it is now, you can only interact with people by commenting on their posts, and in ello's current state even doing that is cumbersome.

Speaking of which, comment threads on posts are really fucking cumbersome lol. Imagine if everyone in this thread was instead on ello, trying to have the same conversation. It stresses me out just thinking about it.

noble message; i get it. but damn this is next-level smarmy

"Mr Budnitz added that he was 'flattered' by the 'anti-Facebook' description, but said that was not the way he saw his service.

'We don't consider Facebook to be a competitor. We see it as an ad platform and we are a network,' he explained."

- http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29409541

Edited by scientifick

@danxf: I think with user experience being such a big thing these days, and with the leaps in HTML5, CSS3, etc., beautiful is a perfectly appropriate word. Maybe it's not fine art but I don't think there's any denying that parallax scrolling, moving backgrounds, etc. are much more aesthetically pleasing than Web 1.0 Geocities pages with blue underlined hyperlinks. 

@scientifick: damn what an attention whore... also, fuck free to pay imo. I'd rather have features and look @ a few ads once in a while, some of which might actually be damn relevant to me because of targeting...