The Homewares Thread

frasier oiseau

There's already the blankets, quilts, bedding and pillows thread, and the general superliving thread in superculture, but it seems like superfuture's missing a general homewares thread - and I'll try and post a furniture thread in the future if one doesn't exist. 

I'm sure there's a lot of students my age or a bit older moving into their first apartments, and I hope their fondness for thoughtfully designed and well-made objects extends beyond clothing. 

This is thread for all the ceramics, eating utensils, glassware, other tableware, tablecloths, placemats and other assorted things

Edited by Saturdaynight Big Nukeman

Katsufumi Baba is a japanese potter working out of Fukuoka who does a lot of nice ceramics, I'm especially fond of his work using hakeme, a technique where the clay solution is applied via brush to the pottery while it's on a potter's wheel, producing some unique and beautiful results.

Here's a video explanation of Hakeme

And here's some of Baba's work

XoZojj9.png

bWwNWkG.png

LI4ppy4.png

His work can be purchased from koromiko and OEN

ikea is dope

I don't own much from Ikea, but their Korken bottles are great value for money ( I think they're like $1.99 (AUD) for the 1 litre versions). Simple, made with lead-free glass, and have yet to leak when stored horizontally, great for anyone with a water filter, or just an alternative to a vase if you want to do flower arrangements 

2009_06_01-Bottles.jpg

Ryohei Yoshiyuki is a Japanese designer who's done a bunch of whimsical and interesting stuff, including a series of ash-trays made from coffee grounds (seen below). He studied at the Design Academy Eindhoven in the Netherlands, but lives and works in Japan. You can see a catalog of all his work and descriptions of specific projects on his website.

P4NOctY.jpg

His most interesting work so far, in my opinion, is this series of hand-hammered copper plates, produced exceedingly (0.3 mm) thin, finished with tin edges. They come in three sizes and can be bought from Jan Jan van Essche's shop, Atelier Solarshop

Large Medium Small

nlJTHXj.jpg

zo1Xzb5.jpg

Edited by Saturdaynight Big Nukeman

• 1 month later...

Valerie Restarick is an Anglo-Japanese potter living and working in Australia, she does some lovely ceramics - you can see a lot of her work on her tumblr. Quote below is from Mr Kitly

Valerie Restarick is British /Japanese, evolving into her own style. Her work is an expression of her ideal design components; balancing subtle shapes into a whole

Here's some of her work

FohgmkT.jpg

C8Yd23Z.jpg

q80jF09.jpg

As said above, you can see more of her work on her tumblr or website, and some of her stuff can be bought from Mr Kitly