M.I.A.

M.I.A. = meh. There is way more hype about this album than it deserves. The music is generally not that exciting and the best track (Bucky Done Gun) is a rip-off of a much better Baile Funk track (DJ Marlboro / Deise Tigrona's 'Injecao'). Her politics are also either well dodgy or totally uninformed (can't figure out which). Not that impressed at all...

For the US music scene she is special but not unlike Dizzee Rascal she is regulated to the "hipster" scene. I hope the press doesn't pigeon-hole her and make her a one hit wonder.

That being said I think she has potential. I dig what she's trying to do.

Making Africa Pop!!!

Promoting a pop album with imagery co-opted from a paramilitary group that uses forcibly conscripted child soldiers and suicide bombers hardly seems spot-on to me. Seems more like either clueless posturing (cf: Everlast's House of Pain-era Sinn Fein tattoo, the Shining Path sticker on that Rage Against The Machine guy's guitar) or dubious political views.

LTTE may be considered freedom fighters by some, but many Sri Lankans (Tamil and Sinhalese alike) consider them to be as much of reason for the fucked-up state of their country as the government.

I like the beats, and her voice sounds genuine, like she's your cute 17 year old neighbor really trying hard to be a rapper. And she dances SOOOO FUNNY. You can watch her video on director Ruben Fleischer's site, along with alot of other dope vids....

http://www.ruben.fm/videos.html

It's Red Motherfucking Foxxworth coming straight from VA, and I've been known to make the hoes bounce it up and down like the WNBA

the album has been delayed in order to increase the hype/demand. plus it gives all the hipster blog sites time to put their two cents in to help build up the hype. the music industry has adapted to the movie industry's tactics of subversive marketing. i only hope it lives up (anyone remember fischerspooner?)

It samples Sunshowers and a Rio funk song. I'm sure it's a pain in the ass to pin down the sample from some random Rio funk song...

I have the album. It's really cool, kind of for the ladies though, although the beats are reallllly dope.

It's Red Motherfucking Foxxworth coming straight from VA, and I've been known to make the hoes bounce it up and down like the WNBA

Edited by RedFoxxworth on Mar 11, 2005 at 01:50 PM

Whats here politics, i never heard her music. I worked in a newspaper in Sri Lanks for 4 months 2 years ago, so i would be interested to hear about her. They have certianly done some horrific crimes, but so have thie opposition. There was an instance a while ago when Jamie Oliver (UK TV Chef) wore a 'Tamil Tigers' sweatshirt without knowing what it was about.

The record (Arular) is named after her dad, who is reportedly a fairly senior figure in LTTE, and she uses Tamil Tiger imagery on the record cover and in her artwork. I think it's probably less an issue of her actively supporting or endorsing the group than it is using the images without providing any sort of informed context.