Lawless denim - kickstarter project

blm14

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lawlessdenim/put-americans-to-work-making-heritage-jeans?ref=popular

I am not involved in this project in any way, I just happened across it on kickstarter and thought it would be something the community would be interested in.

They want to do all the manufacturing in the US, which is cool, and plan to use all narrow looms. Three styles planned - Straight, Slim Straight, and Skinny. They also make some other stuff - the leather cafe jacket looks sweet...

This is our vibe: We have 100 year old looms and World War II era sewing machines that have been used to make quality products for over one hundred years. We are bringing back a piece of history to today, something that hasn’t happened in a long time. In a vintage building in Los Angeles and a modern store in Phoenix, American craftspeople come together every day with one thing on their mind—hand crafting jeans, purses, jackets, belts and other accessories that they can be proud of.

Their ''vibe'' needs the attention of a better copywriter. At the moment, it sounds like it was created by a heritage-brand blurb generator. Quality, history, vintage, craftspeople, blah, blah... I know these companies are easy targets but they make picking on them so easy.

^Even worse actually. Most of these kickstarter companies have really generic heritage word salad but this one seems almost parody in its "they-took-our-job"ness. I got embarrassed and had to stop reading.  :(

I did check out the measurements though for fun. 34" straight leg cut has an 8" leg opening? 

"I don't think it means what you think it means."

Edited by ColdStorage

Oh these Tailor Shears?  I just keep them in by back pocket, so I can artisanally handcraft jeans, anytime, anyplace.

The copy on this one is especially bad.  Usually when I want to brag about a sewing machine I'm using, I spell it correctly.  But, I'm a known stickler.

Edit:  Wow, the measurements on their women's cuts are extra dope!  Waist and rise ladies…that's all you need to know.

Edited by tmadd

I forgot to mention the name as well, Lawless???

"We are Lawless. We don’t like to be told no. So when people say American manufacturing is dead ... we say, no it’s not."

And when people tell us to clean our room and do our homework we say I'll do it later, after cartoons.

Selvedge on the outside of the coin pocket is also a big no no.

I feel like there really isn't a point bringing up these brands on superfuture.  There's no way any of them are going to legitimately catch the interest of us seasoned jean connoisseurs (if such a thing exists), as they're all basically the same thing.  That said, I think it's admirable that they're at 50k of a 20k goal and they still have 3 weeks to go....obviously there's a market, and that's probably all they care about.

^God damnit, I had a very similar idea last year.  I wanted to start a kickstarter called "quit my job" for $50,000 and then have a stretch goal for every extra $10,000 like "for $10,000 more i'll take a trip to Brazil" or something. 

Probably should have done it. Since it was even stupider than potato salad I probably would have made even more money.

you don't know about the reese 101 button hole machine? it's so much more heritage than the reece 101. 

I think you find the Rhys 101 has way more heritage'ness than the reese 101 :)

Just the whole way that this and many other brands, kickstarter or otherwise, are presented…they seem like they are sincerely trying to convince their potential customers that by buying into their brand, they will be joining some sort of ultra-saavy, super fucking cool in-crowd of people who are ahead of the curve.  This is laughable for all sorts of reasons, besides just how late to the game these sorts of brands are.  Plus all of this ignores how bad most of these companies are at designing smart, flattering cuts that work well for a variety of people…you don't talk about that with $200+ jeans from known companies, because it's pretty much a given, but turns out that's sometimes a second or third thought next to selvedge and chain stitching with start up companies that have been "making jeans" for a year or so.

I'm pretty sure most the ultra cool kids these days are finding the last of the good 90's 517s and other washed out 90's stuff with a lot less attention paid to details like selvedge and Rhees 101 keyholes.  Aesthetically, I prefer stuff like this to the lucky brand and true religions most of these dudes are stepping out of…it just bums me out that how aggressively things like "Made In USA" are being bandied about to make landfill tier garments.

I don't think they would even sell to a non-american, even if I would share the opinion about american made denim being the best (which I don't).

Regardless, it says "add 25$ to ship outside the US", so yeah, you COULD get them ;)