Lawless denim - kickstarter project

blm14

• 3 weeks later...

i took a chance with one of their denim shirts for $40. if i get it, i'll post plenty of pics

I did the same. $40 for semi-custom Western shirt using Cone denim. I'll take a shot.

I am glad you guys both gave us a shot.  Let me know if there are any thoughts you may have or if there is anything you would like to see.  There are a bunch of people who have received their orders already and have posted reviews out there.  Feel free to ask questions if needed.  

• 3 weeks later...

I got a friend in Anchorage Alaska that has nothing but good things to say about them.  I actually got to see his in real life and they where comparable to a lot of other American brands out there.  That being said, I'm not into gambling and that seems to be what ordering from these guys is, you either love them or get burned by them.

• 4 weeks later...

Noob to all things denim , hi fellas this is my first post and hope it's not the last .

I am probably one of those guys you refer to when you say transitioning from some thing mainstream , I wore store bought 501s as a teen and moved away from them to two pair of rod& gun moleskins that I rotated for about twenty years and it wasn't until a trip to the states that seen me in the levi,s flagship store in SF that rekindled my love of denim , fast forward two years and holes in knees and I'm back in the market . A lot has changed since my trip to the US ; the way retailers try to peddle there wares and social media so when I started looking on this new fangled internet thingy for new levi,s I somehow stumbled onto vintage denim out of Germany ( I think that's were they were made ) and then that opened up questions about selvedge denim , one thing led to another and next thing you know you have bought yourself a 250.00 pair of pike brothers and a thirst for all things denim .

I have also been involved with kickstarter for many years supporting manufacturers create things they would like to see come to fruition and also products that I would like to own or gift out to friends and family . I have seen many startup jean companies over the years and thought I'd try my luck with lawless and have done so because of reasons others have already stated eg; product choice , thread colours , and the big one for me and I know it's childish but the choice of patch , I remember as a kid the joy of ripping the patch off of someone's jeans and flaunting that trophy to there face .

Anyway long story short I pledged for a pair of both cone mills and a pair of Japanese denim , so my in my quiver I'll have three pair that I guess will last me the next decade and a lot of fade photos .

Cheers Splash

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my 15 oz Nihon Menpu western shirt from Lawless denim. All I can say is patience is a virtue. This shirt came out way better than I expected. Here are some pics

Eedu4nG.jpg

bWSV3nZ.jpg

N9IDLHs.jpg

SrvQmNC.jpg

ZO4OPvr.jpg

cbD04NK.jpg

9oFfdEW.jpg

6MVa4yA.jpg

Yeah, that shirt looks nice! Stitching looks neat and the snap buttons look great.

How long did the order take overall?

I placed my order October 2nd and I received it yesterday, Jan 22nd. 16 weeks to the day.

Interesting review. I wonder if the turnaround time will stay that high, or if it's just because of the discounts they gave and the resulting higher order numbers.

The shirt still looks very nice and the snap button and thread choices are what draws me to it, like you I'd love a shirt with purple buttons or something similar to set it apart :)

Reviews for the "Lawless experience" are very mixed all over the web. I'll wait and see if they work out those kinks.

Interesting review. I wonder if the turnaround time will stay that high, or if it's just because of the discounts they gave and the resulting higher order numbers.

The shirt still looks very nice and the snap button and thread choices are what draws me to it, like you I'd love a shirt with purple buttons or something similar to set it apart :)

Reviews for the "Lawless experience" are very mixed all over the web. I'll wait and see if they work out those kinks.

The turnaround time was so long because of all their transitions with kickstart orders and retooling their business model. Also the huge sale literally saw thousands of orders in little as a few weeks. They really took on more they could chew for what they were at the time. Q4 of 2014 was definitely experimental for Lawless and I hope they have everything settled by Q3/Q4 of 2015. Once the storm settles, LD SHOULD be sailing smooth.

The turnaround time was so long because of all their transitions with kickstart orders and retooling their business model. Also the huge sale literally saw thousands of orders in little as a few weeks. They really took on more they could chew for what they were at the time. Q4 of 2014 was definitely experimental for Lawless and I hope they have everything settled by Q3/Q4 of 2015. Once the storm settles, LD SHOULD be sailing smooth.

Thanks for posting the link to that other site , it gave me a very clear picture of who I'm dealing with there .

I so want them to be as successful as N&F but find the purchase experience with them less than helpfull when it comes to information .

I'm not even sure where I could start with the unprofessional service in acquiring information regarding there jackets , before I go to much further I should state that my purchase was through the kickstarter campaign , numerous emails and months of waiting for the form to fill in the sizes and after that I can not get them to respond on where to find pictures to do a comparison of the western / work cafe racer jacket , now I know the cut is similar to the shirts but hey if you're dishing out four bills for it you want to see it , anyway two mails to their LD address no response one to the kickstarter private mail and after another two weeks of waiting three messages on the public message board associated to their campaign , then in a kickstarter created update to the public message board they feed you the " you are so important to us bullshit " and if you have any queries get in contact with us , well I'm asking myself how the hell do l do that iv tried everything short of Jedi mind tricks and then I'm presented with a link that has the fine people of LD answering any and every question on that site when thay have all but abandoned the folk waiting there reply back at KS .

And you know what rubs me the wrong way the most is posting a link to some guys profile who backed their project and opening it up for discussion , so unprofessional I can't even pathos what kind of litigation that could open up if the guy got wind of it ( Sol you should have a good hard look at yourself ) it almost constitutes online bullying , if I were Roman I'd be giving you a very surveyed lecture about professionalism .

So to summarise iv had to order one style due to not being able to see the alternative so I hope the wait is worth it as with a two month turn around I'm now looking at the end of April for something I was ment to get last year .

Thanks for posting the link to that other site , it gave me a very clear picture of who I'm dealing with there .

I so want them to be as successful as N&F but find the purchase experience with them less than helpfull when it comes to information .

I'm not even sure where I could start with the unprofessional service in acquiring information regarding there jackets , before I go to much further I should state that my purchase was through the kickstarter campaign , numerous emails and months of waiting for the form to fill in the sizes and after that I can not get them to respond on where to find pictures to do a comparison of the western / work cafe racer jacket , now I know the cut is similar to the shirts but hey if you're dishing out four bills for it you want to see it , anyway two mails to their LD address no response one to the kickstarter private mail and after another two weeks of waiting three messages on the public message board associated to their campaign , then in a kickstarter created update to the public message board they feed you the " you are so important to us bullshit " and if you have any queries get in contact with us , well I'm asking myself how the hell do l do that iv tried everything short of Jedi mind tricks and then I'm presented with a link that has the fine people of LD answering any and every question on that site when thay have all but abandoned the folk waiting there reply back at KS .

And you know what rubs me the wrong way the most is posting a link to some guys profile who backed their project and opening it up for discussion , so unprofessional I can't even pathos what kind of litigation that could open up if the guy got wind of it ( Sol you should have a good hard look at yourself ) it almost constitutes online bullying , if I were Roman I'd be giving you a very surveyed lecture about professionalism .

So to summarise iv had to order one style due to not being able to see the alternative so I hope the wait is worth it as with a two month turn around I'm now looking at the end of April for something I was ment to get last year .

I'll never understand why some companies have so much trouble with just replying to emails and/or giving proper information. If your inbox grows beyond what you can manage, get some fucking help, don't just ignore it.

LD is pretty bad with emailing people back. I had the most success by just calling. Since you're in another country it may be hard, but some people that are state side are afraid of picking up the phone and laying down some force. I can understand where you're coming from as I'm trying to get Sauce Zhan to sell me a type  II. He is by far the worst at responding. Splash Pitman, if you don't mind giving me your order info, I can make a call to them for you. I believe my continuous calling help expedite my order a bit.

You're right about the calling thing, I have the same experience with German companies. But that's another thing I don't get: this is 2015 :D I mean, only thing worse than having to call someone is having to fax something. Firing off an email should really be enough for all purposes. (What I hate most is when you email some company and then, instead of just replying to your email, they try calling you two or three times before replying. PayPal does that, for example. What if I'm at work and don't having time for a stupid phone call and that's why I wrote the email in the first place? That's one of the stupidest business practices I know.) </rant> ;)

LD is pretty bad with emailing people back. I had the most success by just calling. Since you're in another country it may be hard, but some people that are state side are afraid of picking up the phone and laying down some force. I can understand where you're coming from as I'm trying to get Sauce Zhan to sell me a type  II. He is by far the worst at responding. Splash Pitman, if you don't mind giving me your order info, I can make a call to them for you. I believe my continuous calling help expedite my order a bit.

Thats a great gesture bigblack but I'm the type of person that likes to see how things like this pan out as to give a fair critique .

Just had a look at Gustinfriends again and l see Sal had time to load pictures and share some Figjam but no time to answer questions from emails and the now forgotten kickstarter .

Edited by splash pitman

Thats a great gesture bigblack but I'm the type of person that likes to see how things like this pan out as to give a fair critique .

Just had a look at Gustinfriends again and l see Sal had time to load pictures and share some Figjam but no time to answer questions from emails and the now forgotten kickstarter .

Sal actually does not get sent the emails. Laura, the sales manager receives those emails and she is the one that is the bad responder.

I have emailed the info@lawless .com many times with no response.  If you make an account on gustinfriends, you can PM him or the LD website and send a message through there, those messages are sent to him. Sal is good at responding but it may take a day or two to get a response from him. I don't recommend just letting it pan out. 

^^^^^ I hear what you are saying however this is how I see it , a company is only as good as the people you have working for you yes Laura has dropped the ball with the emails I have sent directly to lawless however it's my understanding that both Laure and Sol represent lawless on the kickstarter site , not that I have been told this but through observations of the updates and earlier griviences being sorted out by Sol , at the end of the day management are to blame and as Roman is the boss and would most likely deli gated that type of menial work down the line I'd say that it falls directly so the sales manager .

No offence to you but I am so not going to join join a denim forum to jeans iv never heard of before last year so I can mail a guy and tell him to reply to questions that I have mailed directly to them already privately and publicly put the same questions on the kickstarter site !

If you have the time go and have a look at the Naked & famous thread from the start , there were a lot of nay sayers and trepidation but never a bad word about communication , if they want to get a good foothold in the market good communication will make or break you , just because you deliver a good product does not guarantee that you will be a return customer if you get fucked around for eight months , I'm sure this company will do well but not with return customers and at the end of the day all pyramid schemes go bust .

^^^^^ I hear what you are saying however this is how I see it , a company is only as good as the people you have working for you yes Laura has dropped the ball with the emails I have sent directly to lawless however it's my understanding that both Laure and Sol represent lawless on the kickstarter site , not that I have been told this but through observations of the updates and earlier griviences being sorted out by Sol , at the end of the day management are to blame and as Roman is the boss and would most likely deli gated that type of menial work down the line I'd say that it falls directly so the sales manager .

No offence to you but I am so not going to join join a denim forum to jeans iv never heard of before last year so I can mail a guy and tell him to reply to questions that I have mailed directly to them already privately and publicly put the same questions on the kickstarter site !

If you have the time go and have a look at the Naked & famous thread from the start , there were a lot of nay sayers and trepidation but never a bad word about communication , if they want to get a good foothold in the market good communication will make or break you , just because you deliver a good product does not guarantee that you will be a return customer if you get fucked around for eight months , I'm sure this company will do well but not with return customers and at the end of the day all pyramid schemes go bust .

If that's how you feel, then thats how you feel. I know customer service goes a long way for a company but I'm just trying to get you what you bought or at least an explanation. Remember, it was a risk funding a kickstarted company. Sal also didn't start working for LD until well after the kickstarted campaign. You can actually message him here to DirtyDenim1.

I remember when the Naked & Famous thread was started, I was so excited while reading what Brandon had to offer. I really wish I had bought the very first 21 oz they released. I tried them on and everything but didn't pull the trigger. sigh regrets

Why don't you just reverse the charges through paypal or your credit card company.  its all well and good that you are willing to go through the process to give an accurate account, but that all sounds like a waste of your time, energy, and money.  in this day and age if you can't deliver goods or for that matter at least respond to emails, then i would have zero interest in dealing with them.  still sounds like a complete shit show.  and if you wait for your goods and they're not what you wanted/ordered, what then.  another huge headache in communication to get that sorted out.  f++k that.  cut your losses, and give your money to a company that actually appreciates your business, as there are lots out there.

@bigblack. Nice call on the purple buttons. LD may take a while, but those semi-custom options are really nice. 

Is that a standard XXL or did you get that one custom made to your size? 

I'm waiting on western shirt in 12.5 oz natural cone denim. Thanks for giving me the resolve to continue waiting.