Lawless denim - kickstarter project

blm14

Reece 101.M has never been rare for 2 reasons:

- it has always been quite expensive

- most of the old machines have gotten refurbished and are still to be seen in production lines today

AMF-Reece (company) is still in operation, producing the mechanical follow-ups S-100, S-101 and S-105 till this day.

You should have no problem finding a used machine, but I'm not sure if you'll like the price.

I remember learning and working on the old 101.M during my years as an industrial tailoring apprentice...

Edited by Foxy2

Reece 101.M has never been rare for 2 reasons:

- it has always been quite expensive

- most of the old machines have gotten refurbished and are still to be seen in production lines today

AMF-Reece (company) is still in operation, producing the mechanical follow-ups S-100, S-101 and S-105 till this day.

You should have no problem finding a used machine, but I'm not sure if you'll like the price.

I remember learning and working on the old 101.M during my years as an industrial tailoring apprentice...

I was being sarcastic. I actually own a Reece 101 on top of other vintage industrial sewing machines. 

Thanks for the info tho. 

I was being sarcastic. I actually own a Reece 101 on top of other vintage industrial sewing machines. 

Thanks for the info tho.

Got it - sorry, being German means the finer points of humor are sometimes lost on me...

• 4 weeks later...
One interesting detail about Lawless denim: they let you customize each pair of jeans. I'm surprised no one mentioned that.

They let you choose patch design, thread color, stitching details for pockets, seams, hems, button metal (copper, brass, etc) and some other details I'm forgetting now. Try getting that from any of the bigger brands. (An aside - I can't believe I'm referring to a couple Japanese companies that have a fraction of one percent of total denim market share as "bigger brands".)

Anyway, I backed a few pairs from Lawless. I can get over the typos and marketing for customized jeans made of 18.5 oz Kuroki selvedge that are under $100 and 17 oz Kaihara for under $80.

Let them prove themselves. Maybe the quality will be good. There's a lot of room in the market place for new companies, and I'd rather support them, and other new companies, than shoot them down.

Edited by sta991

• 3 weeks later...

Lawless denim, taking your money and running since 2013.

I guess this is grounds for adding the very real possibility of non-delivery to reasons kickstarter jeans aren't all the value they're cracked out to be.

One interesting detail about Lawless denim: they let you customize each pair of jeans. I'm surprised no one mentioned that.

They let you choose patch design, thread color, stitching details for pockets, seams, hems, button metal (copper, brass, etc) and some other details I'm forgetting now. Try getting that from any of the bigger brands. (An aside - I can't believe I'm referring to a couple Japanese companies that have a fraction of one percent of total denim market share as "bigger brands".)

Anyway, I backed a few pairs from Lawless. I can get over the typos and marketing for customized jeans made of 18.5 oz Kuroki selvedge that are under $100 and 17 oz Kaihara for under $80.

Let them prove themselves. Maybe the quality will be good. There's a lot of room in the market place for new companies, and I'd rather support them, and other new companies, than shoot them down.

i'd say there's no room in the market for new companies, especially when they're kickstarter funded and peddling the 'for americans by americans' thing. they're a dime a dozen.

Edited by okisan

wow those reviews are pretty rough. crazy thing is that this isnt even for their kickstarter campaign. this is for their regular brick and mortar operation which should have a good amount of these problems ironed out by now especially if they plan on actually fulfilling those 400+ orders from their kickstarter...i smell trouble. 

I had a bad experience dealing with Roman the owner. I guess the best way to put it is that he doesn't seem very honest or genuine. He wasted my time and made up ridiculous excuses to renege on a deal we made. Btw, this is all in regards to to him purchasing a couple sewing machines from me.

Hard pass on anything and everything related to Roman & Lawless. His KS is also full of shit and misinformation.

Lawless denim, taking your money and running since 2013.

I guess this is grounds for adding the very real possibility of non-delivery to reasons kickstarter jeans aren't all the value they're cracked out to be.

There's those "companies" of course, but there's also genuine, honest small denim makers that use Kickstarter to grow their business / awareness of their brand. I had good experiences with both "OriJeans" and "Dillon Montara"". The latter is a small outfit from SF, got a black pair of jeans from them and it's all they said it would be on their project page, craftmanship-wise. The former is some Ukranian guys that make jeans custom to your measurements, and while their jeans aren't made as nicely as more expensive pairs, they make those bespoke Japanese or Cone denim (your choice from different weights and mills) jeans for 100€ a piece which is pretty hard to beat. (Back in December '13 I put down money for three pairs from them - I should receive my second pair sometime next week, maybe I'll make a thread then.)

The problem with Kickstarter, of course, is that knowing which one it is is always a gamble. Personally I've pledged for jeans on Kickstarter before really getting into the whole thing and I wouldn't do it again because now my want-list consists of pretty specific brands and cuts, but I don't regret doing it either. It can be a good way to get your feet wet paying relatively little money, depending on the project of course.

I think their thread was closed for some reason (probably didn't pay the affiliate fee). I checked their website a few months back and it was still up, but there was no way to purchase through the site. Assumed this meant either they were only selling through retailers or were currently on hiatus.

Edit: Just checked the site again and its down. I guess they must have closed up shop. Not sure of the reason, but I'm sure it must have been challenging to get people to pay what they were asking for their stuff, despite the high quality materials and construction.

Edited by Quoise1203

They are currently trying to sell off the rest of their collection of 43200g's, but the fact that pretty much everyone that's purchased one from them has gotten a machine that was dead, or seriously fucked, on arrival is making that difficult for them. 

Might want to read Yelp before ordering anything...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lawless-denim-and-co-phoenix

Thanks for the review info. I jumped on the kickstarter offer before checking yelp. I'll just let it run its course.

Funny thing about average ratings. Lawless has an average rating of 3 stars, but all the feedback seems to be equally split between glowing 5 star ratings and unhappy 1 star ratings. Very little in between. The instore experiences are typically the higher rated group. 

I couldn't resist jumping on the 17 oz and 18.5 oz denim that is fully customized for such short money. I'll report back as things unfold.